ADVERTISEMENT

Four fastest college football players hail from Pac-12

Justin Wollman

Lute Olson 'Almighty'
Gold Member
Mar 28, 2008
Everyone knows that the West Coast is the best coast. But, maybe when it comes to college football the saying should read "West Coast, Prest(0) Coast." Because on Wednesday, NFL.com released another one of its 16 for '16 series, this time focusing on the fastest college football players in the NCAA.

No surprises here: Six players hail from the Pac-12, including the top four.

Chase Goodbread's tally of college football fastest players ranked the Pac-12 players as the following:

1. Devon Allen, Oregon WR

2. Adoree' Jackson, USC All-Everything

3. Khalfani Muhammad, Cal RB

4. Tyrell Johnson, Arizona WR

11. Isaiah Brandt-Sims, Stanford WR

15. John Ross, Washington WR

A few of the players on this list might be surprising to some folks.

Earlier this spring, those top three all competed against each other at the Pac-12 outdoor track championships in the 100. Jackson took second, edging out Allen (who took third) by four hundredths of a second, while Muhammad took seventh. Allen came back to win the 200-meter dash and Muhammad picked up another seventh-place finish. And then Allen also went on to win the 110-meter hurdles while Jackson took the long jump title.

Allen would then go on to win the 110-meter hurdles title at the NCAA track & field championships, the second of his career.

Now, Allen takes center stage once again -- as both the conference's and college football's fastest -- as the hurdler competes in his first U.S. Olympic Team Trials. The Oregonian's Andrew Greif wrote that while Allen might have stiff competition with professional hurdlers David Oliver, Ronnie Ash, Aries Merritt and Jarret Eaton, that ultimately he has "a very good chance of qualifying for Rio on his home track."

There are three rounds of the hurdles. The first rounds kicks off Friday, July 8 at 3:02 p.m. The semis will go off the following day at 4:25 p.m., and the finals -- which will send its top three to Rio -- are that evening (Saturday, July 9) at 5:52 p.m.

Allen appears as though he's completely ready to shoulder the pressure of this high-stakes meet -- he's not getting too far ahead, he's just focusing on winning every race in which he competes. As he told CSNNW.com, "At this part of the season it's just all about winning -- winning the NCAAs, Pac-12 meet, all the scored meets. When the Olympic Trials come, if I win, put me on the Olympic team. If I win the Olympics then I get the gold medal

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News