ADVERTISEMENT

Another late OL addition for 2020

Matt Moreno

Senior Editor
Staff
Aug 8, 2011
Tucson, AZ
arizona.rivals.com
Arizona made another late addition to its 2020 recruiting class on Monday night as San Marcos, California offensive lineman Anthony Patt gave the program his pledge. The 6-foot-5 prospect is another under-the-radar prospect with no other notable FBS offers but Arizona likes him enough that he will come on board as a scholarship player taking up another one of the available spots in the 2020 class. He did have a preferred walk-on offer at West Virginia on the table, however.

He's played on both sides of the ball up to this point in his high school career, but the Wildcats are looking at him on the offensive side of the ball from the sounds of it. Offensive line coach Kyle DeVan has had his eye on the two-way recruit for a while now and Arizona turned up the heat with him in the last month or so.

My thoughts

I've made no secret not a huge fan of going about the process this way for Arizona since it feels like it's happened too often in this class, but the Wildcats can't be picky right now. I do think he has solid film and there is something there for the staff to work with. It is going to take some time to get him in position to contribute, but Arizona simply needs some more quality depth at this point and Patt can help the program do that.

The positive for Arizona is that its late additions the last couple years have turned into players that have contributed right away. The coaches have done a good job with evaluations like this and have made those players into something more than other coaches thought they could be. Now, my concern is always that someone like this will max out and still not be a hugely important Pac-12 level player but I do think there are some things that could make Patt into someone who gets on the field and plays a role. He has some good aggressiveness and his agility is impressive as well.

We'll see what happens once he is able to get on campus and that is when the true evaluation begins.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News