ADVERTISEMENT

USA U19 squad finished out group play

Matt Moreno

Senior Editor
Staff
Aug 8, 2011
Tucson, AZ
arizona.rivals.com
Sean Miller's under-19 USA squad finished out group play Tuesday with a win over Egypt as it moved to 3-0 in the FIBA World Championship. It was one of the team's most dominating performances so far with five players scoring in double figures to help the USA become the top team in its group going into Wednesday's knockout round.

Allonzo Trier got the start again for the USA squad and he helped the team with 11 points in his 19 minutes of action. He also had two steals and a pair of rebounds in the 90-52 win. He made five of his nine shots from the floor in the game.

Arizona target Josh Jackson also got the start in the win and he scored in the double digits as well adding 10 points of his own in the game against Egypt. He also had five rebounds and a pair of assists in the game.

“I think in some aspects our team continues to improve,” Miller said about the win. “This was by far Harry Giles’ best game. It wasn’t just because of the points and rebounds, but it was everything. He’s really improving as a defender; he’s playing with great energy and is fun to watch. If we go back to where we were as a team and someone like him in Colorado Springs, and I think we look at him now after we’ve played five games, three in pool play (and two exhibition games), he’s improving and that’s the fun part of this, to see young guys improve and also our team continue to develop.”

The USA squad will play a team it already played prior to the start of the tournament in an exhibition in its next contest Wednesday as it will have a rematch with Argentina in the round of 16. Argentina lost to USA 86-75 in that exhibition.

“They do a great job of spreading you out,” said Sean Miller of Argentina. “They shoot the 3-point shot sometimes from four or five positions. I think the other part for us is we’ve been outrebounded the last two games, some of it is a function of our style of play – we’re pressing and switching – but our guards have to do a better job rebounding, our bigs have to a better job of rebounding.

“We don’t want to get into a habit of doing a lot of things well, forcing turnovers, but yet continue to give up second shots. So I think that’s going to be a big of a focus, not just against Argentina but whoever we play moving forward.”

Reactions: AYYETONY
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News