ADVERTISEMENT

Injury report: Arizona vs UDub

Matt Moreno

Senior Editor
Staff
Aug 8, 2011
Tucson, AZ
arizona.rivals.com
Arizona is banged up and that is one reason you saw Rich Rodriguez a little more snarky this week. He can't stand injuries and this week there were a lot of them. Not all of them even made the injury report, but the ones that did are not good.

Here is a look at where things stand going into the game with Washington on Saturday.

We'll start with the good. Tellas Jones, as I said yesterday, is expected back and at this point he is expected to still split time with Tristan Cooper while he gets to 100 percent. Arizona has him listed as probable, which is an upgrade over the "questionable" last week. He won't be at full strength, but I would expect him on the field.

There remains two questionable players this week and unfortunately for UA two of them are guys who began the season as starters. Quarterback Anu Solomon remains questionable with his knee injury. He did more this week, but at this point it is starting to look like it will be a real surprise if it's not Brandon Dawkins out there on Saturday. It could just be smoke from Arizona, but that is the feeling as of right now.

Nick Wilson is the other questionable player and while he is in a better spot than others we will mention next it shouldn't be a foregone conclusion that he plays Saturday. If he can't give it a go with that ankle Arizona will start JJ Taylor with Tyrell Johnson getting his fair share of carries as the back up and a bit of Zach Green mixed in.

Now to the bad. Arizona will be without three players this week. Jamardre Cobb, who I felt could have gone this Saturday earlier in the week, is once again listed as out with his knee injury. Joining Cobb on the out list are two key defensive players. Parker Zellers' injury had been kept pretty quiet, but he is officially out for Saturday's game with a knee injury. At this point Arizona is going to have to figure out what to do with some of its defensive linemen but that nose spot is the thinnest of the unit. I'd expect to see Aiulua Fanene as the starter and it should give Finton Connolly his first look at significant time behind Fanene. UA will almost undoubtedly dress Justin Holt for this game as an emergency third guy but it would rather not have to play him yet.

The last one is a big one although not unexpected. DeAndre' Miller is officially out with ankle injury that had him in a boot this week. It's not good and obviously this is a game where Arizona needs all hands on deck. John Kenny was Miller's replacement and that should be the plan going into Saturday to just move him into the starter's role but Arizona is still going to have to get creative. It would seem to be an opportunity to break in Kahi Neves and give him some time. There are some other options there, but Arizona is going to have to figure out how to bring pressure in other ways.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News