ADVERTISEMENT

GOAZCATS.com War Room: 7/9/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh Gershon

Lute Olson 'Almighty'
Mar 16, 2002
With the men’s basketball Evaluation Period underway, it should be a pretty eventful month for recruiting, and we’ll get into that right away.

Basketball:

* The Arizona coaching staff has been allowed on the road since Tuesday and has covered a significant amount of ground, watching several of the Wildcats’ already determined top targets as well as many prospects that UA is currently evaluating.

* Sean Miller spent Tuesday and Wednesday in Indianapolis watching prospects such as 2011 shooting guard Norman Powell, 2012 shooting guards Gabe York and Shabazz Muhammad, 2012 posts Alex Murphy and Kaleb Tarczewski and 2013 guards Tyree Robinson and Tyrel Robinson.

Miller was in Cleveland on Thursday for the King City Classic, which featured players such as 2011 guards Nick Johnson, Jahii Carson and Josiah Turner, 2011 post Sidiki Johnson and 2012 post Brandon Ashley.

With the King City Classic only having a morning session on Friday, Miller will likely go off the road for the day.

* Archie Miller started Tuesday in Houston at a tournament filled with younger prospects, and then spent that evening through Thursday morning in Indianapolis at the same tournament as his older brother. He’s expected to be off the road on Friday as well.

* Book Richardson has been in Germany waiting to watch Quinn Cook play for the U17 USA team, and he’ll likely have his first day in the gym on Friday, with both Miller’s coming off the road.

* Book should be joined on the road on Friday by James Whitford, who spent Tuesday and Wednesday in the gyms in Los Angeles but stayed out off the road on Thursday.

Whitford has been watching 2011 small forward Amir Garrett, 2012 forwards Rosco Allen and Grant Jerrett, 2012 center Robert Upshaw, 2013 point guard E.J. Cooper and 2013 wing Isaac Hamilton.

* Coming into the Evaluation Period, Arizona had some big decisions to make regarding how it was going to handle the guard situation in the 2011 recruiting class, as well as further establish priorities in 2012.

During the first three days on the road, some players could be playing themselves in and out of favor. Powell reportedly had a tough time in Indianapolis, and Garrett didn’t perform well in his first two days in Los Angeles.

That’s definitely not to say Arizona is done recruiting either player, but all the staff will have to go on is who does what in front of them in July, so every game is important.

Also, UA has yet to see Damien Leonard play in July, and all of this gives further reason to believe Arizona has been on the right two in Nick Johnson and Jahii Carson, with Quinn Cook and Josiah Turner being the other two options at point if UA could get them.

The best chance at Arizona packaging any two of those players together would be Nick Johnson and Carson. If UA could get those two with Sidiki Johnson, the coaches could likely call it a class and move on to 2012 feeling great about the direction of the program.

* If Arizona can put together a Johnson/Carson backcourt (even though ASU and others are doing their best to prevent it), that would give the Wildcats significant momentum heading into 2012, a class that the UA staff has made its mark on early.

UA is either at the top or one of the top schools for five-star prospects Brandon Ashley, Rosco Allen and Grant Jerrett. Should UA land Carson, the Wildcats would have a legitimate chance at five-star center Isaiah Austin and his AAU teammate, emerging 2012 shooting guard Gabe York.

Not to mention, Arizona has also done a good job early with four-star shooting guard Anrio Adams, four-star forwards Alex Murphy and Landen Lucas, and five-star shooting guard Shabazz Muhammad (who will be very tough to land). Also, UA is expected to pick up its recruitment of Robert Upshaw.

* Rivals.com has been on the road evaluating the UA prospects, and here are reports on some of the players mentioned above:

Alex Murphy, Tuesday, from Brian Snow: “…it was a solid day for Murphy. The ultra talented wing had it working from three point range, hit a nice reverse layup using the rim as a shield, and then in transition he punched on defenders trying to get in his way. Also Murphy did a solid job of defending Miller, and was key in a stretch that effectively ended the game put the Playaz ahead by a comfortable margin.”

Alex Murphy, Tuesday, from Eric Bossi: “He's got terrific size for the wing, shoots with range, has some athleticism around the rim and plays with a little bit of an edge. Duke is the presumed leader, but he swears that he's open and all the big boys would love to be involved.”

Gabe York, Tuesday, from Brian Snow: “It is tough to score in more ways than York did. The class of 2012 shooting guard is a bit short for the position, but he makes up for it with big time athletic ability and an ability to shoot the ball from any area on the floor and have it go in. In his team's win, York was a one man wrecking crew. He hit from three, converted from the mid-range, and then slammed home a pair of thunderous dunks to get his teammates going. Shot selection is no doubt a growth area, but to be fair he was absolutely on fire and the occasional heat check was warranted.”

Gabe York, Tuesday, from Eric Bossi: “When the class of 2012 rankings get tinkered with after the summer's end, expect the 6-foot-2 product of Orange (Calif.) Lutheran to make an appearance. A sweet shooting wing who can create space for his offense via the dribble, he's got some rise near the rim and will gladly put dunks on defenders heads. Despite missing several key players to camp, he kept the Magic rolling and the crew from Cali hasn't lost a game since early April.”

Gabe York, Wednesday, from Eric Bossi: “It's not a matter of if the 6-foot-2 shooting guard will crack the rankings in 2012, it's a matter of how high he'll enter them. He's been nothing short of outstanding in Indy and is a leader for a crew that has now won over 30 games in a row. He can catch and shoot, go off the bounce and has athleticism to finish. He's skinny, but doesn't lack for toughness. West coast high majors already knew all about them, but he's got coaches across the country scrambling for info.”

Shabazz Muhammad, Tuesday, from Eric Bossi: “His team suffered a couple of tough set-backs, but the 6-foot-5 shooting guard from Las Vegas (Nev.) Bishop Gorman was spectacular. He swished home spot-up jumpers to beyond the three point line with ease. He exploded to the rim for dunks and played his usual tough all-around game. Drew head coaches from places like North Carolina, Duke, Kansas, UCLA and others each time he took the floor.”

Shabazz Muhammad, Tuesday, from Jerry Meyer: “This 6-foot-5 left handed wing only gets better and better. He now has a more consistent long range jumper to go along with his upper shelf athleticism. Pulling his game together at an elite level, however, are his competitiveness and desire to grind tough plays out.”

Shabazz Muhammad, Wednesday, from Eric Bossi: “There wasn't a better player in the gym during the first two days of action. The lefty wing was just dominant in all phases of the game. If he needed to intimidate somebody with a dunk, he did that. If he had to get a rebound in traffic and score the ball when his team needed a bucket, he did that. Need a deep three at a big moment, he gave that too. Even so, it wasn't enough as his team fell to a under manned Compton Magic squad in the playoffs. He's Rashad McCants with his head screwed on straight and had guys like Roy Williams, Bill Self, Rick Pitino, Ben Howland Mike Krzyzewski, Josh Pastner and others watching his every move.”

Tyree Robinson, Tuesday, from Eric Bossi: “Playing up with the Dream Vision 17's, 2013 prospect Tyree Robinson from San Diego (Calif.) Lincoln took some lumps. That happens with young guys. What was impressive about Robinson is that he bounced back and gave some guys lumps of their own. The 6-foot-3 shooting guard is easy to identify as a high level prospect.”

Tyree Robinson, Wednesday, from Eric Bossi: “The 6-foot-3 Robinson is a nice looking young player. Physically, the product of San Diego (Calif.) Lincoln is a phenom. He's got big time explosion, a great frame and outstanding body control. Skills? He's got those two as he can attack off the dribble, shoots with good range and shares the ball. The chance to be recruited at the highest level is there.”

Tyrel Robinson, Thursday, from Brian Snow: “The less talked about of the Robinson twins, he has a good amount of ability as well. Robinson is very effective in the high post where he can knock down shots or make good passes. Also he is an excellent defender due to his strength and quickness. Now he does need to really work on his perimeter skills, but he has a chance to earn serious high-major interest.”

Nigel Williams-Goss (2013 PG), Wednesday, from Eric Bossi: “There's already a pretty healthy argument among coaches and analysts as to whether rising sophomore from Henderson (Nev.) Findlay Prep -- by way of Portland, Ore. -- is more of a one or a two. What there isn't an argument about, is the near 6-foot-3 guard's skill level and feel for the game. He's under control, can play the role of set-up guy and he can score. Mixes in lots of pull-ups and floaters and plays without running his mouth. He's fun to watch.”

Nigel Williams-Goss, Thursday, from Brian Snow: “His down the road potential is limited since he isn't a great athlete, but the kid flat out knows how to play the position. Williams-Goss has great feel for when to push the pace and when to run offense, and he always makes the right pass at the right time. Beyond that he has excellent size for his position and is proving to be a very good shooter. Defensively is where he struggles since laterally he isn't great, so that will need to improve, but already he is showing an aptitude to make others better while playing up against 17-and under competition.”

* Section 24 of McKale Center will look a little different next season. Six rows of seating have been removed and in their place will be a media section as well as more handicapped seating.

The media seating situation has been a problem at UA for years, with a good percentage of media being forced to sit behind the basket in seats with no place to write during the game.

An expanded media table has resulted in less room around the court and specifically, a cluttered UA bench. The media section will give the UA staff more room to work with, and give the working media a much-needed place to get work done during games.

Here are a couple pictures of where the media section will be installed:

959335.jpg

Football:

Jason Scheer’s weekly recruiting breakdown:

This past week was somewhat quiet due to the holiday, but there is still some good news for Arizona fans.

* Laveen (Ariz.) Fairfax defensive end Reggie Gilberthttp://rivals.yahoo.com/arizona/football/recruiting/player-Reggie-Gilbert-108443 is getting closer to a decision.

"Right now I am close to committing,” he said. “I plan on committing in a couple weeks when I go down there for a basketball tournament. It is going to feel good to be a Wildcat."

Gilbert has been leaning towards Arizona since being offered and now it seems a formality. He already has great size and due to that fact, could actually surprise people with his ability to compete right away.

* Arizona has some work to do to land Lisle (Ill.) Benet Academy tackle Pat Flavinhttp://rivals.yahoo.com/arizona/football/recruiting/player-Pat-Flavin-101178.

Flavin has established a strong relationship with the UA, although he has 24 other schools attempting to do the same.

"From what he tells me, it sounds like early playing time is definitely an option," Flavin said of Bill Bedenbaugh. "Other than that he does a good job of hitting all of the aspects of the school: academically, location wise, what Coach (Mike) Stoops is like. I really enjoy talking to him and getting his emails about everything Arizona has to offer.

"He was the first coach to make it out to my school, they were one of the first schools to start recruiting me. They offered me back in April, but they really were one of the first teams I started talking to and we have a great relationship. I think he's a great guy, and I know his reputation as an offensive line coach."

Flavin says he is going to narrow his list down and the UA has a chance to make the final cut.

"I'm kind of open to everyone right now, especially with the Pac-10," Flavin said. "It seems like a great conference, and it seems like Arizona is a great school. I'd say right now they'd be in the top 10, I don't really know who is in the top six or seven.

* Irving (Texas) Macarthur School cornerback Jalen Brownhttp://rivals.yahoo.com/arizona/football/recruiting/player-Jalen-Brown-103281 is getting closer to narrowing things down.

"I also regularly talk to coach (Kerry) Cooks from Notre Dame, coach (Dat) Nguyen from Texas A&M, and coach (Travaris) Robinson from Texas Tech,” Brown tells HuskersIllustrated. “I have to say that right now probably Notre Dame, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, LSU, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Arizona, and a couple other schools will make the cut down."

Brown will likely take visits to schools that are a little more difficult to reach, which bodes well for Arizona.

"I'll probably take some to schools farther out that I don't know much about yet,” he said. “I'll be looking at how comfortable I am with the coaches and team, how I relate with the head coach, and things like that. I'm still taking my time and looking at every school."

* Albuquerque (N.M.) La Cueva athlete Ronnie Danielshttp://rivals.yahoo.com/arizona/football/recruiting/player-Ronnie-Daniels-96981 has Arizona in his top four.

"The Pac-10 is a great conference to play in and playing for coach (Mike) Stoops, he's a really good coach and they did well last year in the Pac-10," Daniels tells Rivals.com. "That's mainly why I like Arizona so much."

As of now it would be somewhat of a surprise if Daniels winds up at the UA. Arizona is not taking other running backs and prefers Daniels at safety. As of now, Daniels seems very set on the offensive side of the ball and, unless something changes, that makes him unlikely to land at the UA.

* Vista (Calif.) cornerback Stefan McClurehttp://rivals.yahoo.com/arizona/football/recruiting/player-Stefan-McClure-109227 continues to follow his plan of narrowing his list soon.

"I'm going to try and narrow it down to a top five this summer," McClure tells BruinBlitz.com. "Pretty soon I'm going to narrow it down, but now I'm just doing my research and getting everything squared away so I can find a good fit.

"I will probably make my decision somewhere in the middle of my senior season, after I take my visits and get a chance to see these places.”

McClure will take all of his officials, so it will be interesting to see if the UA can make the cut, as it has a good track record with visits.

"I want to see the location and the city, all that stuff," McClure said. “I want to see if I fit in there. I will probably take all five of my official visits before I make my decision."

* One player to keep an eye on is Peoria (Ariz.) Liberty offensive lineman Travis Seefeldthttp://rivals.yahoo.com/arizona/football/recruiting/player-Travis-Seefeldt-115362.

"Arizona was great," Seefeldt tells ASUDevils.com. "Arizona's workout facility was amazing. Their focus is in posture and great technique in their lifts. It really interested me on the way they looked at things."

Seefeldt had a solid performance at Arizona’s camp and it is likely that the coaching staff will want to see him on tape before moving further on whether or not to offer him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News