ADVERTISEMENT

Unknown vs. Unknown (QB comparison)

Ericd74

Wildcat Legend
Gold Member
Jan 7, 2014
I saw a post and couldn't find it again but the comment was that Braxton Burmeister is the truth and that all of the QB's should enjoy the time they have before he arrives on campus.

Living in San Diego County I agree that Burmeister is a tremendous talent and seems to have all of the skills that you want for the next level. He is literally a man playing against boys out there. However, I would like to discuss the comparison between Tate and Burmeister solely on their high school careers.

Burmeister's school plays Division 4 talent in San Diego County. That is no fault of his, he has gone to La Jolla Country Day (a private school) since he was in Kindergarten but the talent level he is playing with and against isn't the greatest. In San Diego County there are six divisions of football with Division 1 being the best and Division 6 being the worst. What division you end up in is partially based on your schools enrollment but for each sport is also based on how your school has performed in that sport over time. If you are in the top 3 or 4 of your Division one year, you move up the next. If you are in the bottom tier of your Division you move down. His team was Division 5 last year. This isn't something Burmeister can control but just the way it is. San Diego County has some good teams but does not have the athletes and programs that LA and what they call the IE (Inland Empire) have.

Tate, on the other hand, played for Junipero Serra High in Gardena, California which is also a private school that competes at the highest level of not only football but all athletics in California. The people that Tate played with and against are some of the best players in not only California but the country. USC currently has nine (9) Serra players on its roster including Adoree Jackson. UCLA has four (4) Serra alums on its roster. If you look at the notable alumni from Serra it looks like a complete NFL roster (Marquis Lee and Robert Woods to name a couple). They play the best teams from other states as part of their schedule. My point being Tate has already proved himself at the highest level during high school. Tate was runner-up (to JJ Taylor) for player of the year in the state of California. As RichRod says, you want a great player in college, find a great player in high school. Tate was great against great competition.

What often happens with the recruiting hype machine is that we have so much information on these guys as they are getting recruited but once they are in the program we don't hear squat. RichRod's program is very controlled and the information that we get on players and their performance in practice and how they feel about them is reserved to say the least. Right now we hear a lot about Burmeister but when he gets on campus we aren't going to hear squat about how he is doing except, "He is working hard. He loves football and it is important to him. He still has a lot to learn."

My point being speculation is fun but we also need to temperate it with the facts. That being said I can't resist so here is my fortune telling for the future.
  • Tate starts or splits time with Dawkins for the rest of this season. I don't know the status of Anu and they are going to tell us because they don't have to. For the sake of this argument only let's assume he doesn't play another down for Arizona.
  • Tate (Sophomore) beats out Dawkins (Junior) next year to become the every day starter. Dawkins sticks around during the season, graduates and transfers to play his senior season elsewhere (bummer, because he seems like a really good guy, personable and very good with the media). Burmeister redshirts.
  • Tate (Junior and Senior year) is the starter with Burmeister (Freshman and Sophomore years) as the back up.
  • Burmeister starts his Junior and Senior years.
That is my take on the next 6 years of Arizona at the QB position. Speculation gives us old guys something to think about. Let me know what you think.

Last edited:
Reactions: uascrappy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News