ADVERTISEMENT

Tempo

azcatsfan80

Arizona Immortal
Gold Member
Aug 15, 2011
Need some of your thoughts here, my thoughts on Tempo offenses are evolving. I keep hearing bits and pieces out there from reporters and analysts that tempo is less advantageous than it used to be....

If so, and if RichRod and Co. want to continue to use a tempo based offense we are even more behind the 8 ball than I imagined.

Have defenses and coaching of defenses caught up to tempo attacks? They know how to sub, refs let them sub, everyone spends a large amount of their time on Nickel Defenses w/5 DB's.

I feel like Arizona and Oregon have had less luck with the tempo attack the last two years, essentially a finesse spread option attack.

Teams that utilize the Pass based spread, the Air Raid, the Mumme/Dykes or even Baylor spread have had consistent success. Baylor, Cal, WSU, Houston, Ole Miss.

It's hard to recruit both fast, big, and strong players. When your tempo advantage was the ability to use smaller faster players is gone, you end up with essentially USC athletes vs Arizona athletes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News