ADVERTISEMENT

Spring practice: five quick notes (March 9)

Matt Moreno

Senior Editor
Staff
Aug 8, 2011
Tucson, AZ
arizona.rivals.com
Arizona was back at it Monday with another late afternoon practice. It was business as usual with the first 20 minutes open, but there were some notable things going on with the group on this third day. Here are five quick notes to hold you over until I get to the the bigger practice report later.

* One of the first things I noticed and something that I didn't get the sense would be happening soon has indeed happened. Sharif Williams was working with the second unit today in practice at nose. Rich Rodriguez said after practice that he likes what Williams bring with his sheer mass and that is something the UA head coach said Arizona absolutely needs.

It will be something to monitor but as of today he was on with that second group.

* It was the first day of full pads this spring Monday, and Freddie Tagaloa was absolutely a monster during the board drill. Anthony Fotu was no match for him and he is going to be a big help for the 'Cats this season. I asked Rodriguez what he will add and the UA head coach joked that he wants Tagaloa to come off the bus first when they go on road trips.

* Tony Ellison continues to be impressive in the slot position with that second group. His speed is something that Arizona obviously likes and he told me after practice the real progress with him has come as a true receiver. Because he was used so much on sweeps in high school his pass-catching skills weren't where they needed to be and he said a lot time working on that element of his game has helped him out a lot.

* Paul Magloire was another one who looked good during the board drill on the defensive side. That size is going to be big for him and as he continues to work in the weight room that should definitely become a big aspect of what he does.

* I asked Rodriguez about leaders today and if he can already identify who those guys will be this early in the spring and he said he already has a good idea of who a few will be but he wants to find more and he wants at least one guy at each spot to really take hold of that role.

I will have more photos, video and interviews later so continue to check back for more from the third day of spring practice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News