ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Question for Matt

Ericd74

Wildcat Legend
Gold Member
Jan 7, 2014
Matt,

Now that the 2016 recruiting class has all reported and been through camp I would like to know your thoughts on the group when compared to the other recruiting classes in the last couple of years. This class had a lot of de-commits and new commits in the month leading up to signing day with the change over in the defensive staff. Do you see any difference in athleticism, attitude or skill level?

The reason I ask is kids like JJ Taylor and Tristan Cooper. Living is Southern California I knew the type of player that JJ was but I remember with Tristan committed my question was, who? In the current social media environment it is rare to be surprised by certain players getting noticed late. Between Tristan, Poindexter and some others it almost seems like Arizona got better at identifying talent or was it a general change in attitude about the type of athletes they decided they wanted?

I think Tate is a tremendous talent and regardless of what happens this year with Anu and Brandon he will most likely be the starter next year if he continues to work. I think they are just hoping they don't have to play him this year as he is a young (17) player and they can redshirt him. I wouldn't be surprised if he works hard that he could be a 4 year starter. He doesn't throw as well (right now) but his running ability is off the charts and seeing what Dawkins is able to do right now should scare some folks when he gets in the game.

I know talented players struggle with not playing, again especially in the current social media environment. I think the coaching staff does a great job of trying to bring the guys along slowly so they don't fail and get discouraged. So my other question is how well do you think the Arizona coaches deal with the more talented kids that end up not playing right away for whatever reason?

Thanks Matt, always appreciate the feedback and job that you do for us.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News