ADVERTISEMENT

RCS LA: 5 quick notes

Matt Moreno

Senior Editor
Staff
Aug 8, 2011
Tucson, AZ
arizona.rivals.com
I was at the Rivals Camp all day today in Southern California and there were a number of Arizona targets in action. I focused quite a bit on the guys who are likely going to commit before the end of cycle as well as the guys who are already committed of which there were three - all quarterbacks.

Here's five quick notes from today's RCS stop in Southern California.

* Arizona needs to do what it needs to do to hold on to Khalil Tate. I liked him at quarterback when I saw him at Serra earlier in the week, but I REALLY liked him seeing him at receiver today. I think he has what it takes to run the QB at Arizona with some work. He fits the system and was easily the best athlete of the trio of commits I watched today, but he is a special talent at receiver.

As I mentioned in another thread he moved to receiver for 1v1s and he instantly became one of the best looking recruits at the event today. He has become more open to playing receiver at the next level now, but his heart is still set on QB. If Arizona can keep him on board he is going to be one of those players like a Davonte Neal that no matter where you end up putting him you just want him on your roster.

* I thought Braxton Burmeister started off the day very well but as the day went on he came back down to earth a little bit. Still it was clear after watching him for about 20 minutes during drills why Arizona likes him so much. He's a little shorter than other quarterbacks, but he moves very, very well and I was most impressed with how well he throws on the run.

When he gets settled in he is going to give whoever Arizona's quarterback is at that point a run for his money. He's built like a linebacker but he is not stiff at all. He can really move and I really liked what I saw from him.

* Of the three commits Devon Modster still looks the most polished right now. I don't think I saw him make more than one or two "bad" passes all day long and he was really spinning it today. He can hit at all three levels and he was able to show off that mobility as well during some drills today.

He really is not going to need a lot of work once he arrives to Tucson and that could set him up well to perform early. I talked to him today and he still seems pretty set with sitting out (redshirting) a year, but I think he has a chance to push if the coaching staff wants him to right away.

* I watched Jacob Colacion last weekend and I liked what I saw. I watched Jacob Colacion today and REALLY liked what I saw. The 2016 linebacker was very good today in 1v1s and ended up taking home the linebacker MVP. I was impressed by his ability to get down the field in coverage. It is something you see on his film, but to see someone of that size run that well is impressive in person. He hit another level today that I didn't see last weekend.

If his recruitment ended today he would be going to Arizona, so he is one to keep an eye on. He plans to visit Tucson next month.

* Logan Gamble worked out at tight end and receiver today at the Rivals Camp, but he said he is not set on one position and by the time the season rolls around he said he'll probably like playing outside backer more. He was actually doing well at receiver today, however, and he had some nice catches. There were a couple routes where he worked some solid defensive backs to make nice catches.

The Long Beach (Calif.) St. Anthony recruit said Arizona being his first offer will always be up there for him and that will play a role as he works through his recruitment.

I will have much more from the Rivals Camp in the War Room and throughout the week so stay tuned.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News