ADVERTISEMENT

Press conference quick notes: Oct. 10

Matt Moreno

Senior Editor
Staff
Aug 8, 2011
Tucson, AZ
arizona.rivals.com
Arizona had its weekly press conference Monday afternoon and it was the first time for Rich Rodriguez and players to address the media since its loss in Salt Lake City on Saturday night. Here are some quick notes recapping the notable topics to come out of Monday's press conference.

* One thing that stood out but none of the players or Rodriguez were eager to address is the mood of the team right now. I don't know if it was just the particular group that came in or there's more to it but at least based on the tone of Monday's press conference this team sounds a bit worn down right now. Wins can help that but the overall tone was a bit down and unlike any other press conference this season.

* The injury situation is bad right now and Arizona learned that another one will be gone for the season. Cody Ippolito tore his ACL again and he will miss the season Rodriguez announced. Ippolito will be eligible to apply for a medical redshirt but he won't find out until after the season. At this point that sounds like it will be his plan as long as everyone is in agreement - Rodriguez mentioned himself and the doctors as well - that his long-term health will not be in any danger moving forward should he come back again.

"I think he wants to," Rodriguez said. "But I think the doctors and everybody has to come to a decision including me. At some point as a coach you say, "listen, you've gotta think about your long-term health and all that." But Cody is a guy that wants to play. He loves football and wants to play."

* Also, on the injury front Rodriguez didn't use the exact words but the Brandon Dawkins is going through the concussion protocol right now. Meanwhile, Rodriguez gave a more vague answer about Anu Solomon that sounded more like he was dancing around it. He said at this point Solomon is "doing more everyday" but Rodriguez added he doesn't "know when he's going to be ready for a game." At the very least it didn't sound promising for the near future.

* Rodriguez said there are 25 guys on his injury report this week heading into preparations for USC. Nick Wilson will be in the same situation this week as he was against Utah. Rodriguez said they'll get him to do more this week but it will be all about how he feels on Saturday. Before the Utah game Rodriguez said he just didn't feel right pushing off his ankle.

* The issue with Kyle Whittingham and feeling that Arizona was trying to simulate Utah's cadence and thus created the false starts his team had was addressed and Rodriguez absolutely did not mince his words.

"Who cares what he says," Rodriguez said about the remarks. "I accuse them of making more plays than us and winning the game. ... We're not doing it when the quarterback is saying his cadence, but you're allowed to make calls defensively. So, empty accusation."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News