ADVERTISEMENT

LBJ Skills Academy - Day 2

Joseph Duruaku

Walk-On
Apr 9, 2014
I watched five-star forward Ivan Rabb for the second straight night. The consensus around the camp is that Rabb is one of the top players. He continues to show new skills throughout the camp. Rabb, at one point, hit some shots similar to Dirk Nowitzki's one-legged fade-aways. He finished above the rim a couple times and was his usual self on defense. This game saw the California native matched up with No. 1 ranked Ben Simmons. After talking to some of the scouts in attendance, it was clear that wished to see more of the Rabb-Simmons matchup. Regardless, they were impressed with Rabb's ability to impact the game from multiple areas.

Stephen Zimmerman had an interesting showing in his evening game. The Las Vegas native had a slow start, he was lacking aggression in the paint and on the glass. It took the five-star center getting dunked on to spark a fire. After he was on the receiving end of a monster put-back slam, Zimmerman took the ball coast-to-coast and finished with an authoritative slam dunk that caught the attention of the crowd. He did not stop there, Zimmerman, on the following possessions, cleaned the glass and scored six quick points from both blocks. Again, I spoke to an NBA scout that said Zimmerman is an interesting case. He was surprised it took the young center getting dunked on for him to pick up the pace. The scout also stated that some of these kids, Zimmerman included, are tired due to their high level of play over the past months are various camps and tournaments.

Unfortunately, I did not see much of Cody Riley's evening game, but the tidbits I did catch were impressive. Granted, Riley is years away from making any commitment, but his style of play has really caught my attention. He is an undersized forward, but he shows promise on the perimeter. He can shoot from distance, and his matured frame allows him to have his way with defenders and score easy baskets from either block.

Joseph Duruaku
Staff Writer, GOAZCATS.com
joseph@goazcats.com
Follow Joseph on Twitter
This post was edited on 7/11 7:26 AM by Matt Moreno

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News