Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Moreno

Senior Editor
Staff
Aug 8, 2011
Tucson, AZ
arizona.rivals.com
There is quite a bit to get into this week so let’s not waste any time and jump right into this week’s War Room.

Football

It is finally time. Arizona is through with August camp and now the fun can begin as school starts up and the Wildcats get going with regular-season prep. The season opener against BYU is less than two weeks away now and the shift from camp to the regular season has begun. The Wildcats will start a normal practice schedule this week with a move to the morning this season after going with afternoon or evening practices in past years.

UA had a closed scrimmage on Saturday followed by media day on Sunday. Both gave a glimpse into the season as it was the first time for newcomers to speak and give their insight on Sunday.

* First this week we’ll start with media day at it was our first opportunity to get to speak with a number of the freshmen and newcomers who could play a role this season.

- Here are a few videos that have been posted already with a few of the newcomers who made some buzz through the spring and in camp.

- In addition to those three players we also caught up with some of the other freshmen that have generated a nice buzz during camp so far.

JJ Taylor: The freshman running back is not expected to redshirt this season and he has earned plenty of praise from his teammates and coaches so far. The quick, but small back can help UA in a variety of ways this season including as a running back, in the slot or on the kick return team.

“It feels good, I waited a long time to get here,” Taylor said Sunday. “I tried to leave high school early to get here and enroll early to get into the new process, learn the plays and get stronger. It feels pretty good to be here.”

Despite the praise Taylor has continued his work through camp, but he is still far from where he wants to be at this stage.

“It’s nice for me to hear that stuff, but I still have much to work on,” he said. “Hearing that stuff doesn’t really affect me in a positive or negative. I just look forward to making good things happen.”

Taylor said learning the plays has been the biggest adjustment for him so far. There are still times where he finds himself confused and he said he wants to correct that moving forward this season.

Isaiah Hayes: Another So-Cal freshman who has impressed actually arrived when Taylor was hoping to in the spring so he has a bit of a leg up on the rest of the class that arrived during the summer. Hayes has been impressive over the last couple weeks and has worked himself into a spot to contribute as a freshman safety.

“Yeah there’s a difference,” he said about what he sees between himself and the rest of the freshmen who arrived later. “Learning the playbook is always a challenge. A lot of new things and a lot of new plays being thrown at you. The time management. So, yeah, I could say there’s a difference, but it’s just hard work and hard work pays off.”

Learning the system is something all the newcomers mentioned as being a key to getting on the field and that is not a surprise nor different from what others have said in the past. For Hayes he feels that is an important element to his success during camp.

“I’ve just been trying to show the coaches that I can learn the play book fast,” he said. “I could adjust fast and I can play at this level. ... Coach (Jahmile) Addae is doing an excellent job with us teaching us certain techniques, certain coverages and showing us where we need to be. He’s doing an excellent job and I always thank him.

“Demetrius Flannigan, he’s taken me under his wing. Tellas Jones and Jarvis McCall and a whole bunch of the defensive backs and the defensive group has helped me a lot.”

Lorenzo Burns: One player who came out of the gate with a strong start was the cornerback from Temecula, California. He’s a longtime friend of Taylor’s and he had a good start to camp. He has cooled off lately, but he is still important at a position that could use some more talent and depth.

“It’s been great,” Burns said of his experience so far as a collegiate athlete. “It’s been a grind, but at the same time it’s been rewarding because there is not another experience like this. Not many get this opportunity, so I’m just taking advantage of it.”

Adjusting to his new coaches has been more seamless than potentially some of his other possible destinations. A big part of that has been the openness with the staff.

“They’re 100 percent honest with us,” Burns said. “Especially coach Williams. He’s 100 percent honest with the corners in the room. He’s going to tell you like it is, but at the same time I appreciate that because honesty is the biggest thing to me.”

We will have more on some of the newcomers the rest of this week, so continue to be on the look out for that.

* Arizona’s offense won the scrimmage on Saturday in a big way and it led to Rich Rodriguez not being too happy about it. One coach who was pleased with some of what he saw was co-offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Rod Smith. Now, he wasn’t entirely pleased and as all coaches do there are still things he is concerned about going into the next couple weeks of practice before the BYU game in Glendale.

Here he is after Saturday’s practice talking about some of those concerns.

* As we have mentioned throughout camp there were some restrictions on how the media can discuss camp so there has been no mention of starters or who is running with which group so far. Still, we were one of two media outlets to be represented at every practice open to the media throughout camp and we have a good feel for where things stand in terms of who you can expect to contribute this season. In past years we would have taken this time to give a breakdown of each position group as well as a likely two-deep depth chart. Since we cannot do that this year we decided to do things a little differently.

To give you an idea of who to expect on the field come Sept. 3 against BYU we will give you a breakdown of who we expect to be most in the mix when the official depth chart is released and who you will most likely see in action this season.

- Quarterbacks: This one is not too big of a surprise, but it will be Brandon Dawkins and Anu Solomon as the two main quarterbacks on the roster this season. Rodriguez will not name a starter until closer to the season opener or he might never actually do it, but for now he has been clear that those two players are where UA will lean this season at the position.

IN THE MIX: Anu Solomon, Brandon Dawkins; ON THE CUSP: Khalil Tate

- Running backs: Again, not much of a surprise here as Nick Wilson and Orlando Bradford will lead the way for the Wildcats at the running back spot. We know now that Taylor is not expected to redshirt so he too will factor in somehow. Branden Leon and Zach Green had solid camp performances as well.

IN THE MIX: Nick Wilson, Orlando Bradford, JJ Taylor; ON THE CUSP: Branden Leon, Zach Green

- Receivers: Arizona hasn’t looked as deep as it might have at one point earlier in the year, but there is certainly still some talent at the position. Nate Phillips, Samajie Grant and Trey Griffey all have their roles cemented even though Rodriguez doesn’t like to put it in those terms. Cedric Peterson has quietly carved out a nice role for himself and then speedsters like Tyrell Johnson and Shun Brown have too. Cam Denson in the slot seems to be a success at this stage so seeing him out on the field shouldn’t be too big of a surprise this season.

IN THE MIX: Samajie Grant, Nate Phillips, Trey Griffey, Tony Ellison, Tyrell Johnson, Shun Brown, Cam Denson, Shawn Poindexter; ON THE CUSP: Cedric Peterson, Abraham Mendivil, DeVaughn Cooper

- Tight ends: Arizona likes all of its options at the tight end spot and each one brings a little something different. Josh Kern has the experience and has been most effective in games of the group, but Matt Morin is older and can help in a variety of ways while Trevor Wood most looks the part and his healthy again. Jamie Nunley has added some good size heading into the season.

IN THE MIX: Josh Kern, Trevor Wood; ON THE CUSP: Matt Morin, Jamie Nunley

Offensive line: Arizona wants to have a group of at least eight players ready to go for the season opener and Saturday didn’t help some of the players in that second wave. There is plenty of youth behind the presumed starters and that is causing some concern with the staff. At this point there are a number of directions the team can go with what will become the reserves. Nathan Eldridge has been the story of camp so far with that group and the team’s confidence is growing with him. Jacob Alsadek is the rock for the unit, though, and Freddie Tagaloa has looked better now that he is healthy again.

It will be interesting to see how Arizona treats some of the freshmen, but Michael Eletise has a shot to at least be in the rotation right away.

IN THE MIX: Jacob Alsadek, Nathan Eldridge, Freddie Tagaloa, Gerhard de Beer, Layth Friekh, Cody Creason, Levi Walton, Alex Kosinski; ON THE CUSP: Christian Boettcher, Michael Eletise, Harper Sherman

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News