ADVERTISEMENT

GOAZCATS.com War Room 7/16/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tracy McDannald

Lute Olson 'Almighty'
Aug 8, 2011
GOAZCATS.com is still on the road, this time in Long Beach, Calif., and Orange County a few basketball tournaments where several coaches are in attendance including Arizona's James Whitford. So, once again, there will be a heavy dose of basketball recruiting news.

Basketball

* Since it looks like scoring will not be an issue at Arizona next season with a few more clearly defined roles as opposed to last season's balanced group with no real No. 1 option, let's take a look at how the other schools in the Pac-12 Conference stack up when it comes to a 1-2 punch.

The school clearly hurt the most this offseason was Washington, which watched underclassmen Tony Wroten and Terrence Ross both become first-round NBA draft picks last month. That's 32.4 points per game and a pair of would-be conference player of the year candidates now gone.

That would've made the duo the highest scoring 1-2 punch heading into next season had they returned to Seattle. Instead, the Huskies will have just the seventh-best tandem returning in the 2012-13 season.

Also hurting, but with a plethora of outgoing transfers, is Arizona State. Trent Lockett (Marquette) and Kyle Cain (UNC Greensboro) - the Sun Devils' first- and third-leading scorers - bolted Tempe. While ASU did not have much offensive punch to begin with after averaging just 61 points per game as a team last season - 10th-worst in the conference - head coach Herb Sendek will have even less to work with this fall.

Meanwhile, with the addition of Lyons, the Wildcats upgraded their mark by almost two full points after Kyle Fogg and Solomon Hill combined for 26.4 points per game last season. Without Lyons, Hill and the next leading scorer, Nick Johnson, would combine for just 21.8 points per game and move down to seventh in the conference.

Check out the full list below:

* Top scoring duos in the Pac-12 heading into 2012-13

Brock Motum and Reggie Moore, Washington State - 28.2 ppg

Mark Lyons and Solomon Hill, Arizona - 28 ppg

Allen Crabbe and Justin Cobbs, California - 27.8 ppg

Chasson Randle and Aaron Bright, Stanford - 25.5 ppg

Devon Collier and Ahmad Starks, Oregon State - 25.2 ppg

Maurice Jones and Aaron Fuller, USC - 23.6 ppg

C.J. Wilcox and Abdul Gaddy, Washington - 22.3 ppg

Travis and David Wear, UCLA - 21.7 ppg

Andre Roberson and Spencer Dinwiddie, Colorado - 21.6 ppg

E.J. Singler and Tony Woods, Oregon - 20.4 ppg

Jason Washburn and Cedric Martin, Utah - 18.8 ppg

Carrick Felix and Jonathan Gilling, Arizona State - 17.6 ppg

But, of course, there will be impact freshmen like UCLA's Shabazz Muhammad who will likely make a difference and have a say by season's end.

* With the Wildcats heading to the Bahamas in early August, let's take a look at how the team fared the last time it took a trip to Canada in 2006.

It was the beginning of Lute Olson's final season in charge and, after dropping the first game of the season, the Marcus Williams-led Wildcats reeled off 12 straight wins en route to a 20-11 record. However, the 'Cats were bounced in the opening round of the NCAA tournament by Purdue.

But other teams have used preseason trips as a momentum- and chemistry-builder for the upcoming season. Like the Wildcats, North Carolina was coming off a disappointing NIT appearance in 2009-10 and took a similar trip to Nassau. UNC not only returned to the NCAA tournament but locked up a No. 2 seed in the East Regional and made it all the way to the Elite Eight with the help of their own strong group of freshmen that included Harrison Barnes and Kendall Marshall.

UA leaves for its six-day trip Aug. 9 and will have the luxury of 10 practices before leaving Tucson.

Football

* Things are still a bit quiet as fall camp nears and Pac-12 media day draws even closer July 24. At that time, there should be plenty more news and an idea of where the Wildcats stand of some of their personnel issues going into camp.

Representing the 'Cats at the event will be head coach Rich Rodriguez, quarterback Matt Scott and linebacker Jake Fischer - a change after schools previously brought along just one student-athlete.

* By the end of this week, all of the 2012 class will be on campus and qualified once Wayne Capers arrives from Pittsburgh, Pa.

* Former U of A wide receiver Gino Crump, who also once played at West Virginia under some of the new coaches before transferring in 2009, caught up with GOAZCATS.com this past weekend over the phone.

Among the things Crump once was familiar with was the staff's approach to conditioning, and he said he noticed a considerable improvement in his former teammates, in general, while working out on campus the past few weeks compared to last season.

It all goes back to the staff's fast-paced, station-to-station philosophy that the players have applied in their voluntary workouts. It's things like: Instead of resting after a weightlifting session, it's right into running. Judging by some of these tweets the past few days, some players' bodies are at least getting used to the intensity and workload.

Among those doing well with the workouts is Fischer, which is a good sign considering the ACL injury he is coming off on top of his position and much-needed production.

How exactly that translates in fall camp must wait another two weeks, when the Wildcats go back to work with the coaching staff Aug. 1. But at least it's a sign of positive steps.

And now here's Matt Moreno's recruiting breakdown:

Sunday evening marked the end of the first five-day live evaluation period in July for basketball recruiting and GOAZCATS.com was in attendance for the Fullcourt Press All-West Showcase as well as the Pangos Summer Sweet 16 tournament in Long Beach, Calif. We were able to see quite a few young Arizona targets over the course of the first July evaluation period, and we'll have much more on that later in the War Room.

On the football side of things, recruiting has somewhat slowed down here over the last couple of weeks as the Wildcats still stand at 22 commitments in the 2013 class. However, there are still decisions being made and recruits considering what to do with their recruitments.

There's plenty of news this week, so here's this week's recruiting breakdown.

Football recruiting

With their 22 commitments in 2013, the Wildcats are close to the 25-player limit for this recruiting cycle. Now, while the 'Cats may choose to go over that number - considering there are some spots open now after some things that transpired throughout the offseason - at this point it's best just to focus on UA filling up those three spots first.

* One position where the Wildcats are certainly looking to add a prospect is along the offensive line - mostly at the tackle position. UA only took one offensive tackle in the last recruiting cycle in T.D. Gross, who will be converted from a tight end. There are a few options at the tackle position, and one of them is San Diego (Calif.) Torrey Pines prospect Jacob Alsadek.

The 6-foot-7, 325-pounder went from a top five to a top four in a matter of days after he eliminated Arizona State from the mix last week. There is a lot to like about the big offensive tackle's skill set, but the most important thing is his size. After not signing a true offensive tackle last year, the Wildcats could certainly use the help of a guy like Alsadek to bolster the offensive line.

Alsadek took some time to visit UA in the spring and he liked what he saw in Tucson.

"I met with all the coaches and I liked talking with them a lot," Alsadek said. "Coach (Rich) Rodriguez is a really great guy. And I like Matt Dudek and my mom thought he was real funny, so we still talk about him a lot.

"And I really liked the campus, it was really nice. And the area around the campus felt like a really good place to be."

At this point in the process, Alsadek has a top four of UA, Vanderbilt, Colorado and Kansas State. Based on what I'm hearing an offer from the Commodores would end his recruitment, but it doesn't appear that Vanderbilt is looking to offer him at this time. It is my belief that should Vanderbilt never extend an offer, the Wildcats would end up with his commitment.

So far, Alsadek has liked what he's heard from the staff, especially when it comes to the possibility for early playing time.

"What they told me is that they are going to look for a guy that can go in and start competing," Alsadek said. "And they think I can do that with my size. They want somebody they know they can believe in, and they think can go in and play.

"That could be a huge thing for me because the more experience you have the better chance you have at playing for many more years. That's everybody's dream is to play in the NFL, and I feel like if I do go there then I'd have a good shot at playing a lot and hopefully give myself the best chance to make to the next level after that."

Alsadek has a trip planned for KSU later this summer, and then he will be done with his visits. My feeling is that he's going to wait a bit longer to see if a Vanderbilt offer does indeed come then he'll make his decision from there.

"No, I don't really have a timeframe," he said. "I want to be able to make a decision that I know I can feel good about, so I don't want to push myself or push my family into a commitment. I don't want to de-commit from a school, I don't want to be that kind of person.

"I want to be the kind of person that sticks with it and believes in the program and better the program. A coach like coach Rodriguez really believes and I believe that he can do some great things out there."

* Another prospect who has the Wildcats high on his list - and has for a while now - is fellow Southern California recruit Luca Bruno, who just received another offer this week. The three-star defensive line prospect was offered by Southern Methodist this week and the Mustangs found a spot on his list.

Bruno took a visit to SMU late last week and shortly after he picked up the offer.

"I thought it was a good visit," he told Rivals.com. "Coach (Bert) Hill took me around the campus and showed me the whole school. He told me where he saw me fitting in the program and where I would play."

Even though SMU is the latest offer for Bruno the Oak Park, Calif., prospect still has the Wildcats at the top of his list.

"My top three would probably be Arizona, SMU, and then Washington State - in that order," he said. "Arizona, I just have a better relationship with the coaches there since they have been recruiting me longer but SMU can move up that list."

Bruno visited Tucson already and he enjoyed the trip. A big part of his decision will have to do with the strength and conditioning staff, and he liked what UA had to offer in that sense.

There was some talk from Bruno about USC being in the mix earlier this year, but that is more than likely not going to happen as far as an offer is concerned. TCU was another program high on the defensive lineman's list, but as time has gone on that is looking less and less like a possibility.

SMU is a big offer for the 2013 recruit, but UA is doing well as things stand now.

Bruno is happy to play anywhere on the line, but most schools like him at defensive tackle. The Oak Park standout is 6-foot-4 and 285 pounds.

"That is where most people want me to play who run a three front," he said. "... I could move from tackle to end, which is what I play in high school. Both of those are a good fit for me."

* Many prospects in Southern California are heading into a mandatory dead period for sports and that presents an opportunity for recruits in the area to get out on visits. One of those recruits is three-star running back Pierre Cormier from San Diego (Calif.) Madison. Cormier plans to visit Tucson during that time, and he said recently that he will make the trip with his Madison teammate Lee Walker - who also holds an offer from the 'Cats.

As we've said previously all signs point to a commitment from both Cormier and Walker, but the running back prospect tweeted Sunday evening that he's not planning to give the Wildcats his pledge on his trip.

* One prospect who says he still considers himself a UA commitment is Darius Allensworth of Menifee (Calif.) Heritage, but he's planning on a trip to Wisconsin before the month is out. While it does show that he has interest in the Badgers, I still believe staying relatively close to home is something that will play into the three-star cornerback's decision.

An offer from USC still hasn't come for Allensworth, but he did recently pick up an offer from Cal. It will be interesting to see where the talented defensive back stands after his trip, but the Wildcats chances of holding onto the rising senior are still very good in my opinion.

Basketball recruiting

After a short break for a few days after the LeBron James Skills Academy, the first of three five-day evaluation periods in the month of July got underway last week and ended Sunday. Arizona assistant coach James Whitford was in Long Beach, Calif., for the Pangos Sweet 16 tournament while Sean Miller was on the East Coast checking out Keith Frazier and other notable targets taking part in the various tournaments in Philadelphia and Washington, D.C.

* While the UA head coach was watching some of the Wildcats' targets for the upcoming class, Whitford was able to see quite a few recruits for the classes beyond 2013. There were a number of high-profile recruits taking part in the Pangos Sweet 16 tournament.

Among those who Whitford kept an eye on most were 2014 recruits Malik Pope and Jordan McLaughlin.

Pope is a five-star recruit who had a lot of attention over the weekend for the potential he possesses. At this point, the rising junior's coach said he doesn't hold an offer from the Wildcats yet, but it wouldn't be surprising to see that happen at some point.

Meanwhile, McLaughlin is a point guard prospect who had a ton of college coaches watching him this weekend. He too has yet to receive an offer from the Wildcats, but UA is among the schools showing interest.

"They wanted me to go down sometime this summer, but I don't think I'm going to make it," the four-star prospect said about the Wildcats. "I'm going to definitely be trying to get there on an unofficial soon."

The talented Etiwanda, Calif., prospect added that the Wildcats style of play is something that sticks out to him about the the program.

* Another guard who said the Wildcats are showing interest this weekend was 2014 prospect Shaquille Carr, who plays for the Las Vegas Prospects. The talented guard recruit already holds a couple offers, but UA is among a large group of schools showing interest.

"I like that their head coach was a point guard - Sean Miller," Carr said. "So he knows how I like to play."

Carr showed a nice ability to play off the ball or play the point, and also showed that he has the skills to take over a game - as was the case Saturday. The rising sophomore helped lead the Prospects to a win after taking charge of the squad in the second half.

He can score in a variety of ways and he uses his speed to get in the lane for easy layups in the paint.

* Stanley Johnson, back from helping the U.S. under-17 national team win the gold medal in Lithuania last week, was at the Pangos Sweet 16 and competed with Belmont Shore this weekend.

Before leaving with Team USA, Johnson told GOAZCATS.com that he would take his mind off his recruitment a bit - but not entirely - to focus on the task at hand. That also was right around the time the new rule took effect that allowed coaches to send unlimited text messages and calls during contact periods.

But since then, Johnson said the high volume of calls and messages "simmered down" once the first few days passed. In the process, however, he did add a new offer to his list.

"At first, the schools wanted to put their first word in," Johnson said.

"Recruitment is going well. You can add North Carolina to my list now. But everything is the same thing, really."

None of his other offers - Arizona, Missouri, San Diego State, UCLA, USC and Washington - have stood out more than another, the Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei prospect added.

"Everyone's getting that much more aggressive, in my book," Johnson said. "They're all calling me when they want to and leaving me messages or texting me. So everybody who's recruited me just showed that much more interest, like I expected."

Johnson said he plans to visit Arizona on Aug. 7 and maybe Oregon, if things work out.

"I'll have to talk to the (Oregon) coaches again - but I don't know if I'll make it to Oregon this fall or summer," the 6-6, four-star 2014 forward said.

* Dorian Pickens, a 2014 forward from Phoenix (Ariz.) Pinnacle, made a visit to Arizona recently and took a liking to the coaching staff.

"I talk to the coaches a lot," Pickens told GOAZCATS.com this weekend at the Pangos Sweet 16. "I talk to coach Whitford, I talk to coach Miller, coach Book (Richardson), so I talk to those guys quite often."

The 6-4 sharpshooter has been in contact with more than a dozen schools and holds six offers from Arizona State, Boston College, Rice, Weber State, New Mexico and Northern Arizona. Among the other schools he's had contact with are California, Georgetown, Indiana, Louisville, Oklahoma, Stanford, Syracuse and West Virginia.

Before the start of his junior season, Pickens said he plans to take a few more trips.

"Right after this club season I'll be going down to Louisville and Georgetown and try to get up there to Syracuse," Pickens said.

During the weekend, Pickens was able to shoot the ball efficiently but said he does not "want to just be that guy that's a shooter."

"Definitely, I can shoot the ball - it's something I love to do - but I also want to improve other parts of my game," he continued. "I want to be an all-around player.

"(I want to improve) all my guard skills. Ball handling, attacking the basket, defense, quickness - all parts of my game.

"Coaches say I'm a big, versatile guard for a shooting guard or a wing player. They like that I can shoot the ball well, rebound, do a little bit of everything, so they like that I'm a versatile guy."

UA is looking to add a couple prospects in the 2013 class, but this weekend in Long Beach allowed the staff to see a couple of recruits who could help later on down the line.

Miller will be heading to the Peach Jam in South Carolina next week during the second July evaluation period, and there will also be another big tournament in Long Beach for the second straight week. As things move along it will be easier to tell who the Wildcats have their focus on for the upcoming classes, but Frazier is certainly one of the top priorities for 2013 as things stand now.[/B]

This post was edited on 7/16 8:30 AM by Matt Moreno

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News