Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Moreno

Senior Editor
Staff
Aug 8, 2011
Tucson, AZ
arizona.rivals.com
Well, it was the week that everything came to a head for Arizona as things all collided Saturday. The Wildcats are of course in full swing with sports all over the place and Saturday was a big day for the program on different fronts. We don’t want to waste any time, so lets get right into this week’s War Room.

Dave Heeke

We will start with the newest addition to Arizona’s athletics program as Saturday was the day the school finally announced what had been building for the few days prior to that. Central Michigan’s athletic director Dave Heeke would become Greg Byrne’s replacement in Tucson and join the Wildcats as their next athletic director. Heeke will be officially introduced at a press conference on Thursday where he will be joined by UA’s president Ann Weaver Hart.

* So how did it all come together? Well, Byrne is the main tie to Heeke. It has been clear since his departure that the former UA athletic director was going to at least be involved in some way in finding or at least aiding in finding his replacement. That is where Heeke comes in. Byrne’s father, Bill, was at Oregon while Heeke was there as athletic director so there is a familiarity there that led to the new UA athletic director being on the radar.

His background in facilities and fundraising for those facilities also put him in a nice spot considering that might be more than anything the biggest issue facing the Wildcats right now. It is what Byrne spent plenty of time on and raised the bar with during his time in Tucson. Heeke had a chance to meet with Sean Miller and Rich Rodriguez prior to things becoming official and all the boxes were checked off.

Heeke had his contract officially approved by the Arizona Board of Regents on Tuesday and he will have a base salary of $500,000 when he takes over. That is less than Byrne was making by $200,000. It is, however, a raise from the $245,000 he was making at Central Michigan. And by the time he reaches his third year of the five-year contract he will be making $650,000.

The other candidate Arizona was focused in on prior to deciding on Heeke was Kansas State’s John Currie who it was reported Tuesday will take over at Tennessee.

* Miller was able to meet with Heeke before he was officially hired and while the UA head coach said it was a simple meeting it was certainly important for the program to get his sign off on the new hire.

“I’m very, very excited,” Miller said Monday. “I think we’re all very excited to have him. He has experience both as an athletic director in the Mid-American Conference at Central Michigan a decade and that’s a wealth of experience. Then, additionally, he was at Oregon for 18 years and learned the Pac-10 at that time and the West Coast. So I think the blend of those we’re excited to have him and his family here. I had a chance to meet him and he’s a really, really good guy. He reminds me in some ways of Greg Byrne, and maybe more experienced in some ways than when Greg first came here. Some of the characteristics we all really liked about Greg, I think Dave has those as well.”

Personality is something that Byrne had and it shined during his time as Arizona’s athletic director and while Heeke might not be exactly that there are things about the new UA AD that Miller sees that remind him of the man Heeke is replacing.

“You know, one I think is he’s a really good person,” Miller said of Heeke. “Easy to talk to, down to earth, very genuine. I think he’ll fit in very, very well here and like I said we’re very excited to have him. He’s coming at a crucial time for our program and the athletic department and I think we’ll be in very good hands.”

* In addition to Miller a coach who will be impacted most by the new addition to the school’s athletic department will be Rodriguez who also met with Heeke before he was officially named to his new position. Byrne showed plenty of confidence in Rodriguez during his time with the program and coming off a 3-9 season that confidence will need to remain for Heeke as things move forward. Like Miller, Rodriguez is pleased with the hire.

“I had heard rumors ahead of time, but it’s official and we’re excited about having him,” Rodriguez said Monday. “He actually hired one of my close friends Butch Jones. Butch was with me at West Virginia and then he hired him at Central and Butch did a great job there. Very well respected, and we’re happy that he’s going to be a Wildcat.”

Leading up to Byrne’s departure Rodriguez has been vocal about wanting more in the way of facilities and improvements to help his football program with the top item on that list being an indoor practice facility, which Rodriguez feels is something his program needs. There are additional things that Rodriguez feels could help improve his program, even a couple more outside the box ideas, that he hopes Heeke will be able help facilitate through his fundraising efforts now that he takes over.

“I have a list of stuff,” the UA head coach said. “I always kind of keep it handy. I had it for Greg every time I saw Greg, and I’ll have it for Dave as well. You certainly have to be fiscally responsible but there’s a few things we need and there’s a few things we want. We have to address the needs hopefully as soon as possible.”

* When Heeke was hired there were numerous people involved with college athletics or those who have spent time around the new Arizona athletic director who offered up their words for what he will bring to Arizona. Here is a look at what some of them had to say to give you a better idea of what to expect as the Dave Heeke era of Arizona athletics gets underway.

"Dave has moved CMU's athletic program significantly forward in his 11 years here. He spoke during his interviews of creating a championship culture, and he's achieved that. Our student-athletes, coaches and staff understand the leadership, integrity and excellence they represent on the field and court, as well as in academics and serving others." – George E. Ross, Central Michigan President

"Dave is first and foremost a great person. He's an excellent communicator and has the ability to unify people. He's incredibly consistent in how he deals with all of our programs and is exceptionally organized. We're happy for his new opportunity and wish him the very best. He has done an outstanding job here and Arizona is lucky to have him." – John Bonamego, Central Michigan Head Football Coach

"I feel very fortunate for the five years I've been at Central Michigan to work with somebody who is at the top of his profession and has been able to accomplish so much. I wish him the best and thank him for all the great things he was able to accomplish at Central Michigan." – Keno Davis, Central Michigan Head Men's Basketball Coach

"Dave wants you to do it the right way. He's very concerned about the welfare of the student-athlete and making sure that they have a good experience. He's very supportive of his coaches. He hires you to do a job and he lets you do it. When I took this program over 10 years ago, we were the best 6-23 team in the country and he knew it was going to be a rebuilding job, but he gave me the tools we needed to compete with the rest of the conference. One thing that I think he does very well is listen and I'm not sure that happens all over. I know going into Arizona, Dave is going to get to know the coaches, find out what they need, and how he can help them, and I don't know how much more you can ask." – Sue Guevara Central Michigan Head Women's Basketball Coach

"Dave is one of the outstanding Athletics Directors in the country. He is experienced, value-based and operates with loads of integrity. I look forward to following his career at the University of Arizona." – John Steinbrecher, MAC Commissioner

"Great hire! I'm very happy for Dave and Liz. I believe he will bring a lot to the University of Arizona and will be a great addition to the Pac-12. Dave was an integral part of my administration at Oregon and is one of the premier ADs in the country. He has outstanding character and integrity and I'm happy for the UA. It will be great to see him out in the west again." – Bill Moos, Washington St. Director of Athletics

"Arizona is in good hands with Dave at the helm. I've known him for over 25 years and he is one of the best in the business." – Chirs Del Conte, TCU Director of Athletics

"The University of Arizona hired one of the premier athletics directors in the country. Dave has the ability to connect with people and has a vision that is second to none. Above all else, he and his family are great people. Dave will be a tremendous asset to the University community, city of Tucson and the entire state of Arizona." – Butch Jones, Tennessee Head Football Coach

"I've known Dave Heeke for nearly 30 years. I've always been impressed with his ability to communicate ideas, energy and excitement to people. I think it's infectious when you're around him. He loves and understands athletics and what makes it go; the people, the facilities, and the energy that is necessary to have a program continue at a high level. I'm very excited to hear that he will take on this role. It will be great for Arizona and the Pac-12. He's a wonderful person with a wonderful family, and he has the right outlook on life to be very successful at Arizona." – Mike Bellotti, former Oregon Head Football Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News