ADVERTISEMENT

Couple of recruiting notes...

Thanks for the update, Mike!

Neither one of these are SUPER surprising. Eldridge obviously has the ties to Jim Michalczik and is not in the plans for UA moving forward with Texas A&M transfer Robert Congel coming off his redshirt season and expected to be the starting center in 2019. Tapusoa has gone a bit dark lately and it shouldn't be a shock to see him take another visit even after being committed. There is still a good chance UA holds onto him, but Oregon is still the most important visit in this one. If he takes that trip next week that is when things could really start to change for the Wildcats. If there's one guy Arizona needs to hold onto down the stretch it is him.

Thanks for the update, Mike!

Neither one of these are SUPER surprising. Eldridge obviously has the ties to Jim Michalczik and is not in the plans for UA moving forward with Robert Congel coming off his redshirt season and expected to be the starting center in 2019. Tapusoa has gone a bit dark lately and it shouldn't be a shock to see him take another visit even after being committed. There is still a good chance UA holds onto him, but Oregon is still the most important visit in this one. If he takes that trip next week that is when things could really start to change for the Wildcats. If there's one guy Arizona needs to hold onto down the stretch it is him.
Has Oregon set up a visit with Myles yet? Him taking the trip to Oregon St would indicate to me that if he’s got a visit to Oregon on the table, he’ll likely take it which probably won’t end well for us.

I thought Eldridge was too hurt to play? What the holy heck is going on?

Matt, I kind of get Oregon being of potential interest because of the name recognition and the Nike connection if that impresses the athlete. But, Oregon State? Is there a stronger pull to the State of Oregon because of the Poly connection or is there something else at play?

I'm wondering if schools will be recruiting negatively against the Ducks as a result of their NCAA probation status? Do recruits care about that stuff?

I'm wondering if schools will be recruiting negatively against the Ducks as a result of their NCAA probation status? Do recruits care about that stuff?
It’s unique to every prospect but generally most recruits won’t care unless they won’t be going to the postseason or there are sanctions that will impact them negatively during their time at the school. Most prospects just want to know that the coaches they commit to will be there for their stay. We all know coaches will fib about that, but probation isn’t going change much

Certainly sounds like NE never was in Sumlins plans from almost day 1. Maybe this is some of the discontent that started early with the perceived lack of commitment to win this year

Last edited:
Reactions: rickyk
I thought Eldridge was too hurt to play? What the holy heck is going on?
Why does his transfer mean that he wasn't hurt this year? Just about every team has season-ending injuries every year, and the players rehab and play the next year.

Yeah if he didn’t tell the staff, especially after how Iona has built a relationship with him and made him a priority, and that’s what he does? I say be proactive and pull his scholarship and get to work on Simms and Williams. Tell him to go have fun in Oregon somewhere.

Certainly sounds like NE never was in Sumlins plans from almost day 1. Maybe this is some of the discontent that started early with the perceived lack of commitment to win this year
Why not in his plans? & why push him out? I don't understand?

Or, he could've really been injured in the spring like reported and rehabbing into the season. Sounds like you're just speculating, but some folks take one's speculation to the bank.

I would imagine it was more on the lines of he was injured and missed most of the season. Was told due to his injury and previous knee issues it was within a everyone’s best interest to not play him. He feels he can still play and now he can try that with another team. Hope it works out for him.

Reactions: rickyk and hmuir
Cat, I am just speculating. Just seems odd the anchor of our Oline missed the entire season.

Could have been injured and he didn't want to chance playing in any games coming back but, it just seems like Sumlin never really mentioned him.

Just Odd to me.

Cat, I am just speculating. Just seems odd the anchor of our Oline missed the entire season.

Could have been injured and he didn't want to chance playing in any games coming back but, it just seems like Sumlin never really mentioned him.

Just Odd to me.
very, very odd to me also & not fully embracing getting him back is even odder yet.

There must be a backend story because when you go from a pre-season Rimington nominee, with All PAC 12 accolades, get injured, never get mentioned, get visibly demoted to the 3rd and 4th string and then decide to transfer, it seems very odd to me also.

Reactions: Jim Cat
Good for Nathan. I didn't realize he'd be a graduate transfer. Nothing odd about it, graduate transfers happen all the time where kids go somewhere to pursue their masters. We get them too.

About being 3rd or 4th string in the fall, we knew about his knee. It's equally plausible that he tried to give it a go and get some reps, but that he and coaches realized it was too soon and he needed to rehab. The last thing you want is a kid rushed back and go down to make it worse. And if that had happened, the coaches would've really been skewered, and rightfully so.

As far as Sumlin not mentioning him, Sumlin doesn't talk about injuries. And if he did, what would he say? How many times would you want him to say, "He's hurt." Or be listed on an injury report, which we don't have anymore, as "Out for the season." Coaches don't typically say much about a kid is who is out for the season, which Eldridge obviously was. And because of that, it's speculation and not a fact that "the coaches didn't fully embrace him."

Sorry, but my take on this speculation that there "has to be more" is: Maybe, but there doesn't have to be more than he was out for the season rehabbing an injury and is now a graduate transfer.

Last edited:
Reactions: B-win and jerrydog
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT