ADVERTISEMENT

Practice report August 6

Matt Moreno

Senior Editor
Staff
Aug 8, 2011
Tucson, AZ
arizona.rivals.com
Arizona was back at it Thursday evening and that meant another chance to see how things are coming together for the Wildcats to start fall camp. It was once again a win for the defensive side of the ball Thursday as Jeff Casteel's group took home the "win" for the second day in a row. Other than that it was once again business as usual for the Wildcats as Rich Rodriguez was again content with the day's practice.

* Again, it is remarkable how healthy Arizona is right now. Jarvis McCall tweaked a little something in the first practice but he was back on the field without any restrictions Thursday night. Trey Griffey is nursing a little injury himself right now, but even he looked pretty good in what he was doing in his limited role at practice.

Other than that Arizona is healthy and at full strength as camp continues to move along.

Position breakdowns

Quarterbacks: Arizona's quarterbacks continue to show some steady progress although there were some issues that they stayed after to clean up. Anu Solomon continues to look much quicker than what I remember at any point in the past and his passes have been a lot more crisp this camp. Overall the group has taken some strides forward and should give Arizona's staff a little less to worry about this season.

Running backs: I was once again impressed by Nick Wilson on Day 2 although the media had less time to watch him. He just looks much quicker on his feet and both he and Rodriguez mentioned that there is a little more burst there now after some good work over the summer. It just feels like where he's at right now he is poised for a really big season. Behind him is still a mystery once you get past Jared Baker. Arizona was going with Zach Green on Thursday and he looked pretty good. He too looks a little quicker than in the past and that will certainly help him. Jonathan Haden and Orlando Bradford will have their shot as well. Bradford looks like a freshman still in terms of you can tell his head is spinning a little bit right now, so it will be interesting to see where he is in a couple weeks.

Receivers/tight ends: I really took some time to keep an eye on Cayleb Jones during Thursday's practice and he is just ready to go. It's that simple. That hand bothered him a little more than he led on last year, and he looks poised for a very good season this year. He looks quicker - which was the big knock on him from NFL people - and he looks stronger too after adding some weight. The two big keys this year are going to be Nate Phillips and Samajie Grant and both slot guys have looked strong to start fall camp.

I really like this receiver group at the top and there are some other pieces that could fit in nicely over the course of the year as well. Got a better look at Brion Anduze on Thursday at the tight end spot. He still has some work to do to get prepared to take the hits at the college level, but he has some skill and it will be interesting to watch him in the coming years.

Offensive line: Arizona continues to be settled at most of its spots on the two deep. The center position is remains the spot where there are some questions. The 'Cats once agin went with Carter Wood on that first unit and mixed it up between Zach Hemmila and David Catalano with the second unit. Those two traded off at center and guard with the second group throughout the open period. Rodriguez continues to come back to Hemmila needing to get in better shape, but he has looked pretty good when he's been in there. If the season started today it would Wood getting the nod, however.

Defensive line: Arizona has started to solidify that defensive line unit now and I think it will surprise some people this year. There are still some younger guys who need to step things up here soon, but overall the group has come along nicely. Sani Fuimaono being healthy is a big boost, but Luca Bruno being bigger and the experience of the other guys is going to help too. Of the newcomers Anthony Fotu and Timmy Hamilton II will have shot with Fotu already on the the second unit after arriving in the spring. Hamilton has been working with the third group and he has shown some nice qualities.

He'll get his chance to make a move this fall.

Linebackers: Same story as usual with the linebackers. A lot of teaching still going on from Jeff Casteel and his group. There was not much movement in terms of who is getting in the mix with the first couple groups, but Sir Thomas Jackson seemed to be getting a little more run during the open period. Arizona is going to move guys around a lot this year to get the most out of Scooby so there is still learning to be done. I know you guys like updates on Cobb and Ware, but they still have some work to do to really start making an impact.

Safeties: Demetrius Flannigan-Fowles was again with the second unit at free safety for the second day in a row and again his size really helps him in that spot. At this point it looks like something that will stick since Arizona likes to have guys with some size on the back end of that defense if it can. Devon Brewer showed some nice things during the spring and he is a noted worker, but that length is really helping Flannigan-Fowles cover a ton of ground right now and that gives him an advantage.

Cornerbacks: I was more impressed by the cornerback group on Day 2. Right now it is clear that Cam Denson is Arizona's best option at cornerback. He's moving really well right now and just looks much more comfortable at the position right now after having more time to acclimate himself to it. I thought Dane Cruikshank looked a lot better than he did on the first day of practice and that's of course what you hope to see if you're a coach.

Arizona loves Jarvis McCall, but I still think health is such a big concern with him. It still feels like it's only a matter of time before DaVonte' Neal gets put into the starting lineup, but for now it remains McCall and Denson.

Depth chart

Offense
QB: Anu Solomon; Jerrard Randall
RB: Nick Wilson or Jared Baker; Zach Green
WR: Cayleb Jones; Abraham Mendivil
WR: David Richards; Tony Ellison or Trey Griffey
Slot: Nate Phillips; Shun Brown or Tony Ellison
Slot: Samajie Grant; Tyrell Johnson
TE: Josh Kern, Trevor Wood
OT: Freddie Tagaloa, Layth Friekh
OG: Cayman Bundage; Levi Walton
C: Carter Wood; Zach Hemmila or David Catalano