ADVERTISEMENT

Sean Miller has been named

Matt Moreno

Senior Editor
Staff
Aug 8, 2011
Tucson, AZ
arizona.rivals.com
the head coach for USA Basketball's U19 team that will play in the FIBA World Championships this summer in Greece. We mentioned to you previously that this was indeed going to happen, but it was made official this morning. Miller will be joined by assistants Ed Cooley from Providence, who was already on the staff, and now his brother Archie as well.

Miller takes over for Billy Donovan who was previously the head coach when he was at Florida, but gave up the duties after leaving for the Oklahoma City Thunder head coaching job.

“I am honored to be named head coach of the USA Basketball Men’s U19 World Championship Team,” Miller said in a statement. “It is exciting to be coaching such a talented group of young players, as well as working alongside a great coaching staff. I look forward to the responsibility and challenges that lie ahead in our journey to win the gold medal at the 2015 FIBA U19 World Championship.”

Miller mentioned after last summer how much he enjoyed that different challenge of coaching a national team and so it is no surprise that he is ready to take over the reins with this team that will feature future Arizona guard Allonzo Trier.

“It’s very exciting to be working with this coaching staff,” Miller said. “Ed Cooley and I were assistants together under Billy Donovan on the U18 National Team that won gold last year in Colorado Springs. We were familiarized with the international game and we both enjoyed being part of a style of play that Billy brought to last year’s team. We look forward to continuing that style this summer.

“Additionally, rejoining my brother Archie as part of this staff is special. We worked together for two seasons at the University of Arizona before he left to become the head coach at Dayton. Obviously, we have great familiarity with each other and share a similar philosophy with the game. The familiarity that Archie, Ed and I share should be an asset toward our success with the Men’s U19 World Championship Team.”

In addition to Miller, Arizona trainer Justin Kokoskie will be with the team as well this summer as its trainer when it goes to Colorado Springs for training camp and in Greece as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News