ADVERTISEMENT

Roster updates

Matt Moreno

Senior Editor
Staff
Aug 8, 2011
Tucson, AZ
arizona.rivals.com
The school website has started updating the roster online today. Here are the notable things to take away from all the changes plus a bit of other roster news that is starting to come out now.

- First, the most notable thing is that cornerback Tony Wallace is no longer listed on Arizona's roster and as of now he is no longer part of the program. He ran into academic issues and it was decided that it would be best for him to move on. As of now the plan is that he will not return even if he gets his academics in order. I'd imagine he ends up going the junior college route and finishes his career elsewhere but I don't expect him back at UA barring a change of heart. Wallace had academic issues in high school that caused him to miss a bunch of time and although he had the talent level to play at several Power Five schools those programs didn't want to take a chance on him because of the academics. Arizona did and knew this was always a possibility.

The cornerback spot is definitely thin right now with Jhevon Hill not making it into school either. McKenzie Barnes is now the only newcomer listed at the position and there will be a good opportunity for him to make a move. I'm not as down as everyone else is about the position as I think Malcom Holland and others can be solid backups and I still like Lorenzo Burns and Jace Whittaker at the top, but those guys can't get hurt now. Holland and Sammy Morrison have game experience while Malik Hausman and Azizi Hearn gained some positive reviews last season while they redshirted and I'd expect both - especially Hearn - to get a good look as a member of the rotation.

The second notable item that is not necessarily roster update related since he isn't on there yet, but the Wildcats will be adding former Texas A&M linebacker Santino Marchiol to the roster for the upcoming season.

The former four-star recruit, who was rated the No. 22 outside linebacker in the 2017 class, has had some injury issues already in his career and redshirted as a freshman. However, it is possible the staff will be able to do some maneuvering to get him eligible right away and add some depth to the linebacker group. If not he will just sit out the 2018 season and become eligible as a redshirt sophomore in 2019. He had over 30 offers when he committed to Texas A&M with schools such as Auburn, Florida, Florida State, LSU, Miami, Nebraska, Penn State, Stanford, USC and Washington on his list.

It is a notable addition for the Wildcats should he stay healthy and be able to play right away. Sumlin's staff has a strong connection to the Denver area and that is where Marchiol is originally from. That is what helped this one get done. If you remember, Robert Congel is another player from Colorado who made the move from Texas A&M to Arizona this offseason.

He is someone who impressed as a reserve middle linebacker this spring after missing last spring (he enrolled early) and most of training camp with an injury. Marchiol bulked up and was expected to be in the linebacker rotation at TAMU this year.

- Some other roster exclusions include Francisco Nelson, Jose Ramirez, Maisen Knight and Carrington Vaughn. All of those were expected departures with Nelson already deciding to play closer to home while Knight returned to his junior college in California. Ramirez is also expected to transfer. Slot back DJ Hinton is also no longer on the roster and is expected to transfer to another program.

- JB Brown, who has added a good amount of weight and is listed at 263 now, is officially now in the defensive end group. He was brought in as a linebacker but played mostly along the defensive line last year. Nah Sulunga, who is listed at 6-foot-2 and 270 pounds, is listed as a defensive tackle instead of a defensive end. I have mentioned before that he has the type of game that will fit inside if the team needs it but for now he will be used as a tackle.

- A couple of additions include expected moves such as Dylan Klumph now officially being on the roster after transferring from Cal. The grad transfer punter was not someone Sumlin was able to talk about last week but I was assured he'd be on the roster soon and he has now been added. Joshua Szott has also been added to the roster as well after his decision earlier in the year to come to Arizona instead of Colgate.

A couple other additions include Houston-St. Pius X players William Gunnell and Bryce Vooletich. Both are receivers and Gunnell is a transfer from Texas A&M. He is the older brother of 2019 quarterback commit Grant Gunnell.

There are still updates being done, but here is the roster as it stands now

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News