ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Update - Where are we really?

Ericd74

Wildcat Legend
Gold Member
Jan 7, 2014
Matt - I feel like there used to (old regime) be much more recruiting news on a consistent basis. It appears that Sumlin is still recruiting hard but is holding off on filling spots until some of the higher rated recruits he is pursuing make their decisions.

I know RichRod had the class almost filled before the season a couple of times and this seems to be the opposite of that. What is your take on the recruiting and where Arizona stands with the new regime? Are we looking better, worse or the same. I know the rankings don't count in wins but they are a good indicator in my opinion. Are we going to be better or worse than our average 40-46 rated recruiting class?

Our average team recruiting ranking for the last 10 years according to Rivals is 42.7. For everyone's reference I put our team Rivals rankings for the past ten years below along with the name of the highest rated recruit for that class along with stars and rating. Our best team ranking ever according to Rivals was 2006 with a team ranking of 18. Finally, Arizona has never signed a Rival's 5 star recruit since the rankings started in 2002.

2018: 54 Christan Young and Jamarye Joiner, 3 stars, 5.7)*
2017: 37 (Nathan Tilford, 4 stars, 5.9)
2016: 51 (Khalil Tate, 4 stars, 5.9)
2015: 41 (Paul Magloire, Shun Brown, Keenan Walker and Cody Creason, 3 stars, 5.7)
2014: 28 (Nick Wilson, Jamardre Cobb, Marquis Ware, Cameron Denson and Marcus Griffin, 4 stars, 5.8)**
2013: 37 (Anu Solomon, 4 stars, 5.9)
2012: 46 (Zack Hemmila, 4 stars, 5.8)***
2011: 55 (Ka'Deem Carey, 4 stars, 5.8)
2010: 37 (Marquis Flowers, 4 stars, 5.9)
2009: 45 (Adam Hall, 4 stars, 5.9)
2008: 39 (Solomon Koehler and Robert Golden, 4 stars, 5.9)****

* (Since Adam Plant didn't end up making it into school)
** (Since Jordan Poland didn't end up on the team)
*** (Kyle Kelley ended up playing at SDSU)
**** (J'Marcus Webb ended up playing at West Texas A&M. Currently plays for Indianapolis.)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News