ADVERTISEMENT

Pangos All-American Camp: Early evaluations

Matt Moreno

Senior Editor
Staff
Aug 8, 2011
Tucson, AZ
arizona.rivals.com
I know it's been a little quiet here, but I haven't been sitting back. I've been at the Pangos All-American Camp in Vegas the last couple days, and I have been able to get a glimpse of some prospects Arizona is expected to be watching closely once the live period begins this summer. Tommy Lloyd and the new UA staff are going to be methodical about how active they are in recruiting moving forward. There likely won't be a ton of offers that go out and Arizona is no longer going to care about being the first school to offer a prospect. It wants to get it right more than anything, and to nail the evaluations more often than not that takes time and in-person looks at the various recruits.

That is what is going on right now and will take place in the comings. I do have an idea of who Arizona is going to be keeping a close eye on and potentially offering down the line. Some of those recruits are on hand this week in Las Vegas. I'm going to have a lot more coverage in the coming days, but here's an early look at some of the prospects I've been watching and doing my own evaluations on over the last couple days.

Before I jump into it I will say that so far I do think Lloyd and his staff have an eye for talent. There's a few guys that you'll see listed below who aren't highly ranked but who have left me impressed so far during the camp. That is a great sign for things to come even with the sample size being small. If Arizona is going to offer a recruit moving forward there's a good chance that he has the skills to be a very good college player based on what I'm seeing right now.

Here's some of the prospects I have watched and will watch before all is said and done this week.

The big man from France has been gaining a lot of buzz this spring, and now I can see why. Yohan Traore looks like someone who could start playing college basketball this season. It's difficult for big men to get going in a camp, but he has been able to make strong plays around the rim and he's not afraid of doing the dirty work. His connections to France obviously will have him on Arizona's radar, and he's someone to watch as the Wildcats will certainly take a look at him this summer.

The Las Vegas-based point guard has a chance to end up as a big priority for the Wildcats down the line. The previous staff offered Milos Uzan, and he's continuing to get look from the current Arizona coaches. He's continuing to improve and he has been solid so far during the camp. He has his team playing really well, and that is hard to do during a camp when all the players have no familiarity. He has shown that he's capable of running a team, but he can also shoot it from all over the floor. I've actually been a little surprised how well he's shot it this week from 3-point range. There is a control to his game that any coach would like to have.

The Turkish big man, who is originally from Nigeria, simply doesn't stop going 100% at any point. Adem Bona is active on both ends of the floor, but he really makes his mark defensively. He can grab rebounds and throw down big dunks, and he might be the most energetic player at the camp this week. One thing that separates him from other high-motor types of players is that he can do it while being under control. There's a chance he doesn't end up playing college ball, but there is certainly going to be some intriguing college options for him if ends up going that route.

The big guard from Illinois played his last season in Arizona, so there is some familiarity there. AJ Storr recently backed off his pledge to Illinois and has since opened up his options. Kansas is one school that has put itself in a good spot, but he told us tonight that he's very much interested in hearing from Arizona. He is a smooth player with a knack for making the right play. Storr is another prospect who has seen his stock rise as of late and will be one of the more intriguing prospects in the 2022 class that coaches will watch this summer.

I have to be honest and say that I had not watched Nebraska forward Jasen Green much at all on tape before seeing him this week. I went in not knowing much about his game, but that has changed and I definitely like what he brings to the table. He's had some conversations with Arizona's coaches but he's hopeful that more communication will take place in the coming weeks and months. He showcased some explosiveness that I wasn't sure he had during the night game Monday when he was able to make some very difficult plays look easy. He seems like the ideal type of player that Lloyd is looking for because of his blend of size and athleticism.

An in-state prospect who has started to gain some momentum on the recruiting trail, Adrame Diongue is a bouncy big man with lots of explosiveness. He has great length and although he is thin he doesn't let that hinder him much. The 7-footer plays the game with an explosiveness that coaches hope to see out of the position, and has been consistent through the games that I've watched him play this week. I'd expect Arizona to continue to evaluate him this summer, but he has a ton of upside.

Koa Peat (2025 - Perry HS)

The youngest player at the camp happens to come from Arizona. Koa Peat is the lone 2025 prospect in attendance this week, and that should tell you what you need to know. There are still certainly things he will have to improve, but for a recruit who is not even in high school yet he has been impressive this week. Peat doesn't look out of place at all among the much older recruits he's playing against, and he was even thriving on the second day of action. He scored 20 points and missed just one shot in his afternoon game. Arizona was one of the first schools to offer him under the previous staff, but he is expected to be a big priority for the new coaches moving forward.

Reactions: hmuir and weslo18
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News