ADVERTISEMENT

My take on this class.

Justin Wollman

Lute Olson 'Almighty'
Gold Member
Mar 28, 2008
Its one of my favorite days of the year so heres my intake on today:
I keep having to tell myself this is a 7-6 team and lost some serious games, badly. With that being said, I see a pattern with class. As much as I and all of you wish we were more involved with some bigger names this year. I think the term OKGs are to the full intent this year. I see the staff focusing on pipelines in different states. FL and LA looks to continue momentum as WA, MI, UT, and even TX showing some love to Tucson once again. Texas has given UofA so pretty good talent back in the days. Having player in your program that can host future players from they area is key to helping your program.

QB- (CA) Khalil Tate- I felt RR got the guy they wanted from the beginning. Usually when building a class, you'd like to secure QB sooner than later instead of having guys just fall to you. We got the guy we wanted from the start and almost pulled in a second. But I think we can all agree that Modster wasn't going to be the guy unless something dramatic happens to Tate.

RB- (CA) J.J. Taylor, (GA) Halimon??- This is position that was ran through the washing machine. Guys jumped on and jumped off quickly. I felt this was a position RR and group wanted to build on, but only ended up with one. I love Taylor's video and think he's legit and maybe that's the reason why he was the soul survivor. But I think the idea going into this year's recruiting process was to build depth. I felt they didn't and maybe only replaced Baker with a similar player in J.J. Taylor. Halimon Greyshirt?

WR- (CA) D. Cooper, (AZ) Poindexter, (FL) Britt, (CA) Nunley- Cooper had all of us holding our breathes but he's legit. Poindexter's video has me saying wow! One of RR's laws is, "you don't block, you don't play", and I think that's one of Poindexter qualities. I think he was just too good for him to go some where else. Maybe the plan was for him to come on as a preferred walked-on until Marshall offered him. Here's what I see: Tall, fast, red-zone, animal blocker and TALL. Nunley a greyshirt from last year with a big body to play outside. Britt looks to greyshirt and most likely a slot.

OL- (AZ) Walker, (HI) Eletise, (CN) Sherman, (CA) Cain- I was unsure about Walker until he showed up on campus. I'm excited for his career to start. Eletise is the gem of this class with no disrespect to Tate. Sherman has size and is a gym rat and Cain could play inside or outside and is extremely versatile.

DT- (AZ) Holt- I wish Tucson would pump out more talent, but it seems the Wildcats get one player a year from Tucson and this year's winner is Holt! Still no official word if RR want to switch to a 4-2-5 over the 3-3-5, and taking one DT doesn't seem to shed light on the case either.

DE- (CA) Allen, (MI) Cochran, (FL) Nelson- I think they wanted someone to come in and compete now with Allen. The staff staying with him tells me what they think about him. For the other 2, maybe this might be shedding some light on the defensive mystery. Cochran and Nelson to come in as tweeners says Arizona wants more of an attacking type of big linebacker. That would mean a 4-2-5

ILB- (CA) Barton, (UT) Neves, (CA) Colacion- Scooby will go down as a wildcat god, but lets be honest. Barton will be an upgrade at the position because Scooby didn't play last. I seriously think Neves sees some time next season even if its with special teams. I think Colacion starts out as an outside linebacker.

CB- (LA) Parks, (CA) Hayes, (CA) Burns- I remember reading some where last year that D. Revis thought Parks was the best CB on the field at one of the HS bowls. So I'm excited to see what that's all about. Hayes looks legit might see the field on special teams early on. Burns will add depth for the future.

S- (CA) Ulloa, (WA) Robertson, (LA) Wallace, (TX) Cooper- I feel that Ulloa is gem of the defensive side of ball. RR is continuing to build pipelines in WA with Robertson. Also continuing to build that pipeline in LA, but Wallace and Cooper, I fell are different. Maybe its the Bandit/Spur type of player look or are they trying to build a speedy type of outside linebackers?

So the Factors are:
7-6 record
OKGs
Defensive staff / possible new scheme
Pipelines
SIZE!

I think the greyshirts coming in round this class out nicely. Especially with Walker and Sherman. I also think on the defensive side somethings are going on we don't see like trying to bring more speed to the position like OLB >> DE and S >> OLB, that could explain some of the size

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News