ADVERTISEMENT

Keys in beating Miss ST

axaadvisor

Lute Olson 'Almighty'
Sep 6, 2004
What are the keys on taking down Hail St this Saturday. Going East and into SEC country and coming back with a win would be even bigger than beating UCLA last year I think.

Strange game when you think about it. First, Miss St has a totally revamped offensive system. Gone is the Leach control the ball by the pass O game. In is a more SEC smash mouth pound the rock running game.

Of course our team is much difference. Last year this is who we started on defense: Harris, Shand, Barrs, Echols, Rutherford, CRW, Roberts, Kolbe Cage, Maldonado, Tuner. With ‘Maldonado out for the first half, miss St will see 11 new players lining up against them. Not sure I have ever seen that.

You have to remember that going into the 4th quarter it was a one score game, 25-17 before JDL bogged down and turned it over a couple more times. We lost that 4th quarter 14-0 and that was definitely the talent differential showing through.

So what do we have to do. I think we have to show we can run the ball consistently. We need to run for 150 yards and we need to show a commitment to the run game.

Next we need great game from our backers. Manu is a dog but he is 220 pounds and will be seeing 300 pound guys at the second level. That is unless our bigs keep those guys occupied.

We need pressure when they throw. I like our corners and with Maldonado out in the first have I actually think there is some addition by subtraction. We need our ends to shine and it will be interesting to see if Arnett sticks with the dink and dunk routes or if he throws second level.

Finally, we need JDL to be at his best. Last year he never scrambled from the pocket and it cost us. Let’s see what improvement he has made

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News