ADVERTISEMENT

GOAZCATS.com War Room 8/20/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tracy McDannald

Lute Olson 'Almighty'
Aug 8, 2011
There is plenty to get into one day after the Arizona football team's Media Day, which allowed reporters to talk to the Wildcats' newcomers for the first time. There were plenty of laughs, light moments, oddball questions and, of course, football discussed Sunday afternoon at McKale Center.

But, first, let's start with the basketball team.

Basketball team

* It's not just the freshmen on the football team that are now available. Head coach Sean Miller and a few select players will meet with the media Thursday for the first time since returning from the Bahamas, where the 'Cats played a pair of exhibition games during the second week of August.

It's already a different feeling around this year's team compared to a 2011-12 campaign that was centered around attempting to replace Derrick Williams' production. The answer that season was supposed to be balance, and Miller will have to perform an entirely new balancing act with his 2012-13 roster.

Last season, the Wildcats attempted to rely on a number of low-double-digit scorers instead of establishing one or two go-to players. Solomon Hill was the top all-around performer but was not quite ready to grab hold of the top-dog role that the team sorely lacked. The result: a season without an NCAA tournament appearance.

Now, you hear Hill talking about being the guy who sets the tone and a little less about playing it by committee. Hill is aware of the talented freshman class coming in that features a pair of McDonald's All-Americans in Brandon Ashley and Grant Jerrett, 7-foot center Kaleb Tarczewski and scoring dynamo Gabe York. In addition, Xavier transfer Mark Lyons is expected to add another scoring punch while still transitioning into more of a point guard.

But Lyons has told GOAZCATS.com in the past that he knows it is Hill's team, and he is simply there to provide extra support and create shots for his new teammates. It's no longer a question of who's team it is and where the bulk of the production can be expected.

But that does not necessarily make things easier for Miller. Now, he is the one who will have to do plenty of balancing - whether that's in choosing the right starting lineup, distributing the minutes to keep players satisfied without sacrificing the greater good of the team, or figuring out how to bring along the No. 3-ranked 2012 recruiting class.

It was this time last year that UA was close to welcoming in a 2011 class that has now been cut in half after forward Sidiki Johnson made a quick exit in the first month and point guard Josiah Turner transferred out and eventually turned pro after a rough year off the court. Like coaches love to say, you never really know about recruits until they are officially in your program, right?

As far as a rotation goes, Miller openly admitted in a video released by Arizona Athletics prior to the trip that there may not be a set lineup because of the team's depth. With talent comes decisions, and that means figuring out whose minutes to corral who to ride on a game-to-game basis.

Among the tougher but welcoming decisions will be what to do with Kevin Parrom - who battled physical ailments and an emotional rollercoaster that included an offseason gunshot wound, the death of both his grandmother and mother, and a season-ending broken foot. If his numbers from the Bahamas are any indication, the 6-6 swingman is ready to be the X-factor for the Wildcats once again.

But is Parrom more effective in the starting lineup or as the first man off the bench? Only Miller and the coaching staff will make that decision, and it could be one of the more intriguing storylines to track as the season moves along.

To an extent, the same goes for combo guard Jordin Mayes, who had to overcome his own injuries this offseason and now finds himself in a three-way battle for playing time at both guard positions while Parrom and York make it five bodies at shooting guard.

For all we know, that could just be the beginning of the balancing act this season for Miller.

Football team

* Before we get to the Media Day portion, first let's officially wrap up fall camp with some extra thoughts toward the end of camp and after the team's scrimmage Saturday.

The statistics can be a bit misleading without actually watching the performance, and as it was pointed out on our board the numbers may not add up - literally. And when you see the comments from head coach Rich Rodriguez and those by select players afterward, things have not yet necessarily lined up, either.

After Rodriguez wondered where his team's "sense of urgency" was outside of the senior class after the scrimmage at Fort Huachuca, center Kyle Quinn thought that it was starting to come together after last Saturday's scrimmage to close camp.

"I thought we responded pretty well," Quinn said.

Rodriguez, however?

"We didn't have as much as enthusiasm as I thought we would," he said.

That's one thing that still has not entirely clicked with this team - the expectations of the coaching staff and where the players believe they are in terms of progress. The players understand that the bar is set high, but it looks like they need someone in the senior class to almost come out and say, "No, things are not going fine."

Linebacker Jake Fischer said as much after the Fort Huachuca scrimmage, but it's easy to do so after taking a beating.

* At the team's Media Day on Sunday, the attention to detail by the coaching staff came up, and it's those little things that Rodriguez and the staff are looking at and basing their comments on. After speaking to freshman linebacker Keoni Bush-Loo, he seems to at least appreciate the constant constructive criticism from his new position coach, defensive coordinator Jeff Casteel.

"After every play he gets at me, but he just tries to get inside my head to get the game situation - when there's so much pressure on you that you'll still be able to perform your best," Bush-Loo said of Casteel's coaching style. "So he gets on my case every time. It's good to have a hard coach because you're going to become a better player."

And that pretty much sums up what these coaches are like on the practice field, and this team could use more Bush-Loo types. The coaches will get in your face, but at the same time there is a method to it all and there is some valuable teaching behind it. In fact, teaching is about half of what the first 30 minutes of practices have been about at almost every position, for the most part.

* Impressions on newcomers

Since it was the first time media was allowed to talk to the newcomers, GOAZCATS.com took a break from interviewing the familiar faces you will hear from all year like quarterback Matt Scott, Fischer and even Rodriguez.

With just an hour to get all the interviews done before the Meet The Team program at McKale Center started, we pulled aside seven players - some who may never be heard from all season - for their thoughts on everything obvious like the coaching staff and their position to the standard thoughts on starting classes today and adjusting to college life. But we also touched upon some nicknames, music tastes on the Tempo System at practice, the culture change for many of these players coming from different states, and much more.

As we said on the board after, there is a ton of content to come including a full video of each interview and accompanying story specifically on them, as well as more general stories on some common themes. To give you an idea of some of those themes, it all kind of ties back to how plenty of these freshmen are from so many different areas of the country such as: California, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania and Texas.

Running back J.T. Washington gave perhaps the best line when asked about trying to mesh together and get used to one another, saying that some of the players on the team mess with him a little bit because they cannot understand what he is saying half the time.

And the way people talk differently was easily the No. 1 answer among each of the newcomers we spoke to, if we were to play this Family Feud style. There were some thicker accents like Washington, who is from Florida, and Louisiana native Jarrell Bennett, and that's something you will quickly pick up on if you watch the preview snippet we released yesterday. Yet, they were saying it was the guys from California who talked funny and different.

* A popular guy, to nobody's surprise, was wide receiver Trey Griffey. His dad and his last name are clearly the No. 1 reason, and you could tell he sensed that, yet it was Griffey who actually brought his dad up specifically first in our 1-on-1 interview with him.

Griffey is someone who may get tired of hearing the same questions, but at the same time he does not shy away from or try to blow off his background. He is happy to talk about his family, and not just his dad, and he said there has already been constant communication with them in the short time he has been at Arizona. He plans of leaning on his dad for advice throughout his first year in college because he knows better than anyone what it is like to compete on a high level.

* We spoke to one of the feel-good stories of the team, linebacker Cody Ippolito - who made a quicker-than-expected return to the team after it was originally thought that he would grayshirt this season. We got more of a perspective on Ippolito's journey from recovery to the day he was called and told to report to Tucson. Plus, Ippolito takes us through the 3-3-5 odd stack defense a little bit and the middle linebacker position he is learning to play.

* Perhaps two of the more entertaining players on the team - not just among the newcomers - were defensive back Will Parks and backup quarterback B.J. Denker.

Both have important roles in their own right, and there could be a close eye on Denker as it relates to how Scott holds up and whether he can make it through all 12 games without having to leave. Otherwise, it will be Denker who is thrown into the fire. Plus, he tells us what the weirdest song is on the team's sound system at practice is and how it's different from any practice environment he is used to, as well as where his "Vanilla Vick" moniker on Twitter started and how he embraces it.

* Parks, from Philadelphia, Pa., talks about everything from finding a place in town to give him his cheesesteak fix - and that first experience ordering one in Tucson - to delivering a spot-on impersonation of cornerbacks coach David Lockwood to his role in a secondary that could call on him early and often this season. Interesting enough, it is Parks and Washington who are roommates, and there could not be a more perfect pair on the team.

If you remember back to when these new coaches were hired, one of the bigger things we stressed was how it was very much like a family. Already, these freshmen have embraced that quite a bit, and Bush-Loo was throwing around words like "brother" when he was talking about his roommate, freshman center Beau Boyster.

We'll see what happens once the games start and their patience gets tested a bit, but this looks like a team that has made it a top priority to stick together in a season that could be a bit unpredictable in many ways.

So, as you can see, we will give you a little bit of everything as we roll out each video and story this week. We want to thank you guys in advance for the patience as we try to put this all together, as there are about 50 minutes worth of interviews to edit through and transcribe for videos and stories. I want to say that the shortest interview was still six minutes long, and some of these guys may surprise you with some of their responses and the way they handled certain questions.

Now, here's Matt Moreno's latest updates on the recruiting side:

Heading into the first week of classes, the Wildcats are still preparing for the 2012 season when it comes the football and basketball teams. Like we said last week, the shift has turned in large part the current rosters, but there's always going to be new information on the recruiting side of things.

Football recruiting

With the 2013 class filled for the most part, UA can relax a little bit during the regular season knowing that it doesn't have as much work to do as some other programs. At this point in the process, most programs will continue to evaluate the 2013 recruits during their senior years and more offers could be handed out once that film starts making the rounds.

For the Wildcats, the regular season will be an important time for visits - both of the official and unofficial variety.

* Over the weekend the 'Cats hosted defensive end commit Jack Banda, who gave the program his verbal pledge without ever seeing Tucson.

Prior to his visit the Logansville (Ga.) Grayson prospect was excited about getting to see his future school.

"It sounds like it's going to be great," the rising senior told GOAZCATS.com last week. "I've talked to a lot of people who have been to Tucson and they say it's the best place ever and once I get there I won't want to come back. So I'm real happy, so I hope it's like people say."

The two-star recruit was able to watch the Wildcats practice Friday afternoon, and by all accounts his trip went well. We'll have more with the UA commit later this week, but he did enjoy his trip with the rest of his family.

There is certainly plenty of room for Banda to grow as his frame is a bit unique. He is certainly less of a Kyle Kelley-type of defensive end and more like Keoni Bush-Loo in terms of frame. With an entire year before he gets to Tucson, it will be interesting to see how the 6-foot-4 commit looks when he enters camp next season.

* Even though the Wildcats are at 25 commitments for the current recruiting class that doesn't mean the program isn't looking to add more recruits - and it's always a good idea to keep door open in case of potential de-commitments. At this point, everybody on the current UA commit list appears to be solid with the 'Cats.

However, when you are dealing with 17-year-old high school students things can sometimes change over the course of a few months.

With that in mind, the 'Cats continue to keep their options open with other potential targets, and one of those recently picked up an offer that wasn't too surprising to him.

Normal (Ill.) Normal Community offensive tackle prospect Randy Heideman picked up an offer a couple weeks ago and it's one he's been expecting for some time now.

"Coach (Robert) Anae and I really started talking during the spring," he told GOAZCATS.com. "They didn't get a chance to come up here, but we stayed in a lot of contact. We talked quite often this summer and we've built quite a good relationship, so it was exciting to get that offer. We created a good relationship and last week I checked in with him and they offered."

Illinois is a state that UA has had some success in with offensive tackles with the previous coaching staff, and Heideman has serious interest.

"Definitely a lot," Heideman said about how much he's going to consider UA in his recruitment. "I'm going to be taking an official up there coming up next month for sure. I know they've got a lot of energy coming in here. Coach Rodriguez is awesome and they run a great offense, which is something that really does excite me.

"And I'm really excited to check them out."

As much as he likes the Wildcats, Heideman isn't ready to name any favorites, although he is beginning to compile a list of schools that he wants to look into further.

"I'm still pretty much open to all of my offers," he said. "In the back of my head I've started to think about the schools that have offered, and ones that I'm going to want to take officials to. They aren't set in stone yet, but I have some ideas about the schools that are up there on the list and that I want to get back to."

Heideman is not in a rush, and that's something that works for the 'Cats as well, as Rich Rodriguez's program is already near their limit in the 2013 class.

"I wanted to get it done before my senior year," he said. "But I don't think that was realistic for me - I feel I need a little bit more time. I'm going to try and take as much time as I need, but I also want to get it done as soon as I can without rushing. So I'm probably looking not too far into the season - probably a couple weeks after - kind of in that range."

Even though Heideman isn't naming any favorites right now, the feeling I'm getting is that the Wildcats are in a good spot for the three-star recruit. His official visit - which had yet to be planned as of last week - will obviously be a big step in his recruitment, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see the 6-foot-6 recruit give the program his pledge eventually.

The style of play at UA and Rodriguez's success on the offensive side of the ball at Michigan could end up being big factors in Heideman's recruitment. However, the next big step will be his official visit - whenever that indeed does happen.

* Even though former UA commit Darius Allensworth decided to go elsewhere earlier this month, the Wildcats remain in the hunt for other potential recruits as the 2012 high school season gets going.

However, one cornerback the 'Cats likely won't have to worry about is three-star recruit Derek Babiash. The Poway, Calif., recruit is very solid with the program at this point, even though other schools continue to recruit him.

Babiash is fairly close with fellow UA commit Devin Holiday, and each prospect's commitment remains solid with the 'Cats.

We'll have more with the Wildcat pledge in a separate update today, so be on the lookout for that as well.

Basketball recruiting

Even with the somewhat surprising commitment of Elliott Pitts last weekend, the Wildcats remain on the lookout for their next potential commitment. UA has a couple big visitors coming up with Parker Jackson-Cartwright and five-star Rondae Jefferson scheduled to visit Tucson soon.

Obviously there are plenty of expectations for this year's squad, but Sean Miller and his staff are noted recruiters and that will always be a big part of their program.

* This week, the Under Armour Elite 24 takes place in Venice Beach, Calif., and there will be plenty of Wildcat targets from various classes taking place in the three-day event that begins Thursday afternoon.

Here is a rundown of all the UA targets named to the 24-player roster and where they currently stand in their recruitments and with the 'Cats:

Keith Frazier: The five-star guard from Dallas (Texas) Kimball is one of the program's main targets for the 2013 class, and he has been for a long time. He was one of just a few uncommitted prospects to attend UA's Red-Blue game last season, and the Wildcats have been on him for even longer than that.

Frazier isn't publicly giving up too much on his recruitment, but the 'Cats are in a very good spot with the sharp-shooting senior. It will likely come down to UA and Texas A&M in the end, but the nation's 14th-ranked prospect isn't expected to make his decision for some time.

Aaron Gordon: The five-star San Jose (Calif.) Archbishop Mitty standout has made no secret about what his recruitment will look like over the next few months. Gordon currently has a decent-sized list of schools that he's focusing on that includes Kentucky and Washington. But the nation's fifth-ranked prospect wants to watch all the teams play this season before jumping into any commitment.

Gordon will take an official visit to UA for the annual Red-Blue game, and that will obviously be a big visit for the future of his recruitment with the Wildcats. Like Frazier, Gordon doesn't plan on making his choice until the spring as well.

Rondae Jefferson: The five-star wing prospect is expected to visit UA prior to the Elite 24 event, and it will be an important visit for the Chester, Pa., prospect. Along with the the other two mentioned above, Jefferson is a high priority recruit for the Wildcats and things are going well in his recruitment.

Jefferson plans to decide in January and, as things stand now, the Wildcats should be in the mix.

Tyus Jones: The five-star point guard from Apple Valley, Minn., continues to rise up the rankings and he currently sits at No. 5 overall in the class of 2014. Jones has continued to add new elements to his game and lately it's his explosion and all-around game that have been the most impressive to scouts.

Jones' recruitment really hasn't been pushed into full gear just yet, but the talented point guard has plenty of offers from programs all over the country.

Emmanuel Mudiay: The Arlington (Texas) Grace Prep guard is right behind Jones when it comes to the Rivals.com rankings at No. 6, and for good reason. Mudiay, a five-star prospect, looked very good when we watched him during the last evaluation period in Las Vegas during July.

He continues to have interest in the 'Cats and UA continues to have interest in him, but at this point Mudiay isn't close to making his decision.

Justise Winslow: Much like Frazier is for the 'Cats in the 2013 class, Winslow will continue to be a big priority for the program in the 2014 class. The five-star prospect from Houston (Texas) St. John's is an impact player, and many programs are already showing tons of interest.

Winslow's offer list is extensive and features plenty of the nation's top programs. Miller and his staff watched a ton of Houston Hoops games this spring and summer, and they were able to see plenty of the talented wing prospect.

Going forward, the Wildcats will have a good a shot as any to land the nation's eighth-ranked prospect.[/B]

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News