ADVERTISEMENT

GOAZCATS.com War Room 7/30/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tracy McDannald

Lute Olson 'Almighty'
Aug 8, 2011
With the basketball staff on the road recruiting, things still remain quiet on the basketball team's end. But GOZCATS.com was in Southern California for Pac-12 Conference Media Day and then in Las Vegas for the final basketball evaluation period.

Football news

Here's what we know heading into Arizona fall camp, which starts practice Thursday but the players report Wednesday:

1) Starting QB settled but who's No. 2?

Matt Scott is the senior who will lead the Wildcats in 2012. Behind him, B.J. Denker and Richard Morrison will battle for the all-important backup role in case Scott gets hurt running head coach Rich Rodriguez's system.

The staff would have liked to see more of Morrison at quarterback in the spring, but an early injury to his throwing shoulder limited his availability at the position early and he spent most of camp at receiver. Not that he would've beat out Scott anyway, but quarterbacks coach Rod Smith does have a few packages in mind for Morrison.

Denker, meanwhile, was a late addition JC transfer and did not join the team in time for the spring. He hurt his back earlier this summer, so even during players-only voluntary workouts Denker was not able to spend as much time on the field, Scott said. But he is expected to be ready to go when camp opens.

2) The Wildcats should be just fine running the ball

Ka'Deem Carey had the breakout label on him as soon as Keola Antolin was out of the picture. In the spring, Daniel Jenkins looked like the type of smaller back that Rodriguez thrived with at his previous stops. But Kylan Butler also emerged as a capable third option and Taimi Tutogi could be the wild card of the bunch.

Tutogi has become one of Rodriguez's go-to players when he talks about the potential of next season's offense and possible stars. His versatility, mixed with the combination of the 260-pounder's power and the no-huddle approach, gives the 'Cats the type of multiple reliable options needed to win games and surprise a few opponents.

"I think Taimi Tutogi could be a star - he's a big guy that maybe will play an unselfish role, but he's got a great skill set," Rodriguez said early last week at Pac-12 Conference Media Day. "He can do a lot of different things and so I could see Taimi making a name for himself, too."

Line him up at running back, fullback, tight end - it doesn't matter, Tutogi will have a significant role. Click here for more of Rodriguez's thoughts on who could possibly break out.

3) A No. 1 receiver must emerge

This is where the switch from Nick Foles to Scott hurts most, because the 6-3 signal caller does not have the luxury of drawing on already-established chemistry.

The younger wideouts - and there are plenty - who earned playing time last season have had to adjust to a new quarterback, as has Dan Buckner.

The 6-4 transfer from Texas was already finding it tough to produce consistently in his first season at Arizona last year, and he did not quite grab hold of the No. 1 job in spring camp. But his potential - on top of the fact he's one of few upperclassmen to throw to - still leaves reason to believe that Buckner will find a way to put it all together in 2012.

4) Freshmen must make immediate impact

There is no bigger opportunity for a young player to step in and play right away than on the Wildcats' defensive unit. Name a position, there's at least one spot up for grabs.

But Scott told GOAZCATS.com at Pac-12 Media Day to look out for one on offense, too: Trey Griffey. Talk about a bit of a surprise.

But the staff does covet hard workers, and Griffey certainly has the pedigree of someone who knows what kind of work must be put in to see the field next season.

5) Just learn the system, the depth chart means nothing

Like the coaches have said, the Wildcats at least need to be able to put 11 guys on the field who know what they are doing, particularly on defense.

When Rodriguez released his depth chart at media day, there were very few sure-fire starters listed and plenty use of the word "OR" to signify that nobody has emerged at several positions. Some of that is good because of the depth at spots like running back, but the three linebackers had just one backup listed between them - C.J. Dozier, who was listed behind Jake Fischer.

But no freshmen other than Dozier, a spring enrollee, were to be found on the depth chart. Rodriguez called it a "very fluid situation," so don't read too much into the pecking order just yet. Most areas are very much up for grabs, and freshmen will have plenty to say about who finishes where.

* Speaking of the defense, I caught up with Rodriguez to talk a little more about the 3-3-5 and the multiple looks they can give opponents.

He said there are times they will go to four down linemen and said it's almost more like a 4-3 defense anyway. Either way, expect plenty of blitzing from linebackers and safeties.

Most coaches I spoke with around the Pac-12 say it's just a matter of getting used to the "window dressing," as Washington head coach Steve Sarkisian put it, and not get too caught up in the fact that it's just different than what they're used to seeing lined up,

There will be a complete story on the 3-3-5, including thoughts from Fischer later in the day.

* Also, expect more football news this week and quotes from Rodriguez, who will have a press conference at 11:30 a.m. Wednesday when the team reports. How much of it will be completely new remains to be seen as only a handful of local media members were in attendance for Media Day. So, I expect to see Rodriguez field many of the same questions.

But once camp opens the next day, there will definitely be fresh news after practices.

And now, here Matt Moreno's recruiting breakdown, which of course is heavy on basketball as both of us were back in Las Vegas and we talked to many UA targets.

* Well once again it has been a busy month for the Arizona basketball staff as the three-week July evaluation period was taking place. UA spent time in different parts of the country during the month, but there are some recruits who are continuing to emerge as prime targets for the upcoming classes.

On the football side of things, it could just be a matter of time before the Wildcats add a couple more commitments as there are two prospects who are strongly considering UA as things continue to unfold here for the class of 2013.

We have plenty to talk about this week, so let's get right to it.

Football recruiting

* The months of July and August are good for football recruits to take trips before getting started for their high school seasons, and one UA recruit has been taking advantage of the free time. 2013 safety prospect Nicholas Halmon recently took a trip to Charlotte and his final decision is starting to come into view.

The Bamberg (S.C.) Bamberg-Ehrhardt recruit visited the 49ers with a teammate and now they have moved up his list along with his current favorite UA.

"The coaches had been on us about getting a visit out there, so we decided to take a day and go out there," he told GOAZCATS.com last week. "It was real nice and probably better than I expected. They have a lot to offer. The football program is nice. We had a conversation with the coaches, but overall it was real good."

Halmon has a current top five of UA, Charlotte, Vanderbilt, Kentucky and Arizona State. He's hoping to come to his decision any day now after visiting Charlotte and seeing most of the campuses that he wanted to see.

"I'd say probably within the next week, or whenever I feel good," he said about coming to a decision.

Right now it's looking like it's going to come down to the 'Cats and Charlotte as his trip to Charlotte really impressed him.

"There's not going to be a big lead for one school over the others," he said. "I really like Arizona, but UNC Charlotte showed me a lot today (Thursday), so those two schools are probably at the top."

At this point it's pretty safe to say that the Wildcats are in a very good spot with the 6-foot recruit, and we should find out how good whenever he decides to make his intentions known.

One thing that UA has going for it with Halmon is that he has family living in Colorado, and he said that gives him confidence that he could comfortable making the move to Tucson as his family wouldn't be too far away.

"That's not really a factor," he said about proximity playing into his decision. "I know if I go to Arizona my sister told me she's going to look out for me, so that's not a factor. She said she was going to come and visit a lot."

The Wildcats want to add a safety in the 2013 class and Halmon said the Wildcats are looking at him to possibly play more than one position - with the spur being one of them - and that's something else he likes about the program. He said he plays a position very similar to the spur right now with his high school team, so that is something he's looking at as well when it comes to UA.

Halmon said that there is not one school that has a big lead over the others, but UA is certainly in a good spot as the rising senior looks to make his decision coming up real soon.

* Another 2013 prospect who has the Wildcats high on his list is running back Pierre Cormier, but that hasn't been a big secret over the last month or so. The San Diego (Calif.) Madison recruit will be visiting UA this week and a commitment is not out of the question. The plan right now is for Cormier to visit Thursday.

"It's really big for me," the three-star prospect told Rivals.com last week. "I feel like I'm going to be really into the school and the program. I want to see what they're about and I think I'm going to like the school even more.

"It's really all about getting a feel for the place because I already know what kind of offense they're running. I'll look to see that as well but it will be mainly the school and what kind of feeling I get from the whole place, in general."

At this point it would be surprising to not see nation's 36th-ranked running back end up giving his verbal pledge to the 'Cats as they have consistently moved up his list as time has gone on.

"Right now it's kind of whatever happens," Cormier said. "I just want to make sure it's the right decision for me and I want to look over everything."

There's a decent chance that he commits while on his trip, but him not committing while in Tucson is not necessarily a bad sign as the Wildcats' lead seems to only be increasing.

Boise State and UCLA were the biggest competition for Cormier at one point, but the Bruins have shifted their focus to Redlands, Calif., prospect Craig Lee.

Basketball recruiting

* The Wildcats were out in full force during the last evaluation period. The program is only allowed to have three coaches on the road during a given time, so Book Richardson was on the East Coast to start the week but then James Whitford joined Sean Miller and Joe Pasternack in Las Vegas later in the evaluation period.

Richardson's big target out East was five-star wing Rondae Jefferson, who has emerged as one of the program's main targets for 2013.

There were plenty of recruits watched by UA over the five-day period and here's a rundown of where they stand with those recruits.

* Along with Jefferson, five-star guard Keith Frazier is another high-priority recruit. The Dallas (Texas) Kimble recruit played for two different teams during the final July evaluation period and Miller made sure he was present at all of them. Frazier isn't giving up too much about his recruitment when it comes to favorites, but Texas A&M and the Wildcats are the two schools it will come down to.

"Arizona, I like the coaching staff, coach Sean Miller," Frazier said over the weekend. "I feel (Texas) A&M's coaching staff. Tennessee's pretty nice, too."

When it comes to UA, the style of play that Miller likes to run is something else that sticks out to Frazier along with the head coach himself.

"I like their style of play, they run … that's more like my style of play," the 6-foot-5 recruit said. "Coach Sean Miller is a good coach, so I'm just looking forward to see what happens."

The nation's fourth-ranked shooting guard added that wherever he is needed is where he will be looking to go.

"Just wherever I feel comfortable and wherever they need me," he said. "Whatever school needs me."

The Wildcats will be looking to add wings as both Kevin Parrom and Solomon Hill will have exhausted their eligibility after this season.

* Another of the Wildcats main targets in the 2013 class is five-star wing prospect Aaron Gordon. The explosive recruit from San Jose (Calif.) Archbishop Mitty continues to look at a select group of schools, which includes UA.

The talented 6-foot-8 recruit said he's not looking too closely at his recruitment right now as he wants to watch the college season before looking at where he will go seriously.

"I'm really not even worried about it," Gordon said. "I'm probably going to make my decision in the spring time after I watch a lot of NCAA basketball."

It's no secret that Gordon doesn't like to lose - although that's the case for any athlete - so it will be interesting to see how this season plays into a decision for Gordon. So what will he be looking for when he watches games this year?

"I want to see how the coaches coach and how the players react to their coaching," the nation's fifth-ranked prospect said.

Washington has long been thought to be the leader for Gordon, but a bad season by the Huskies could end up giving him a lot to think about.

Gordon said the plan is still to attend the UA's Red-Blue game for his official visit as things stand now. That will obviously be an important trip for the Wildcats as it helped really seal the deal for Kaleb Tarczewski in the 2012 class.

* With Frazier playing for Houston Hoops, Miller was able to see a lot of 2014 recruit Justise Winslow. The five-star prospect played outstanding for pretty much the entire week and it is no secret that he is a special talent. The 6-foot-5 wing prospect can score in a variety of ways and he gets it done on both ends of the floor.

It's pretty plain and simple when it comes to UA and Winslow, the Wildcats want him. The only problem is that there are a lot of programs that want to add the nation's eighth-ranked 2014 prospect.

Much like his Houston Hoops teammate, Winslow isn't giving up too much about his recruitment but he did say what he's looking for in a program.

"Just someone that's intense and can really make me better for the next level and for college," he told GOAZCATS.com this weekend. "A coach that can really coach and knows how to get the best out of his players."

Joining a winning program is also a big factor for the talented wing from Houston (Texas) St. John's.

"Biggest factors are the coach and just a school that's a championship contender," he said.

Winslow played well Sunday and helped his team win the 17U Invite Division of the Las Vegas Classic in an overtime win over Mac Irvin Fire.

* Houston Hoops was a popular team for coaches to watch, and with Frazier being part of the team, Miller was able to see a lot of Brian Bridgewater as well. The two-sport prospect has made no secret for many months about who his favorite is should he stick to basketball.

At this point the Wildcats would likely end up with his commitment should he go the basketball route, but that's the next step for the 6-foot-6 recruit who is also a tight end prospect with an offer from LSU.

After helping his team seal its Las Vegas Classic victory yesterday, Bridgewater said he will be deciding within the next "week or two" whether or not he will continue to pursue football or not. Should he stick with basketball, he said continuing to play high school football "is still up in the air."

Should he continue to pursue basketball, the Wildcats would be in good position to earn his commitment.

* Two 2014 recruits to focus on during the next couple years come from in the state of Arizona. Payton Dastrup and Dorian Pickens are two rising juniors to watch as the Wildcats have expressed interest in both. Dastrup already holds an offer and his recruitment is starting to go national.

The Wildcats are likely to remain among the favorites for the center prospect from Mesa (Ariz.) Mountain View. An offer from the program is something he and his family hold in high regards.

The four-star recruit picked up his offer while on an unofficial visit to Tucson earlier this year and he plans on making a return trip next month.

"They've been coming after me pretty hard," he said. "They send me a lot of stuff via mail. Coach Pasternack, coach Miller text me all the time and ask me how I'm doing.

"My unofficial there was really good. They showed the campus off very well and I'm planning on taking another unofficial in the beginning of August to go see a team practice or two before they head off (to the Bahamas). And so I'll get a chance to finish up my first unofficial there because I didn't get to see a whole lot because I was crunched for time."

BYU is a program that could factor in as well because Dastrup is LDS. The Cougars just recently offered, so it will be interesting to see how they play into his decision now that he's starting to get offers from programs all across the country.

Having a stable coaching staff is important to the in-state prospect, and his family has said previously it is confident that Miller will stick around.

"I'd like definitely to have a stable coaching staff," Dastrup said this weekend. "To have a coaching staff that's going to be there through your whole time there at the school - however long it will be. Because you don't want to get there and have your coach leave your freshman or sophomore year at the end of a contract or a firing.

"And I want to be able to come in and be a contributor right off the bat as a freshman and be ensured I will get playing time. And because I'm LDS, I also would like to have a coaching staff and a team that supports me going on my mission."

* Pickens rarely had a bad game over the entire July evaluation period and he's one recruit the Wildcats will look to get more involved with. The UA staff has watched him quite a bit over the last three weeks, and there is certainly interest from the Wildcats.

UA hasn't offered the four-star recruit from Phoenix (Ariz.) Pinnacle, but he's hopeful an offer will come in time.

"No, they haven't offered yet but I definitely have talked to Whitford, coach Book and all the coaching staff, building great relationships," he said over the weekend. "So hopefully down the road an offer will come."

Pickens has already visited UA this year and he's certainly one to keep an eye on going forward.

We'll have plenty more from all three events we attended last week, so keep checking back for video interviews, highlights and updates with UA recruits.[/B]

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News