ADVERTISEMENT

GOAZCATS.com War Room: 6/5/09

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh Gershon

Lute Olson 'Almighty'
Mar 16, 2002
Once again recruiting dominates this week’s War Room. We’ll get right to it…

Basketball:

There’s a ton of recruiting updates right now so I figured what I’ll do is a 2010 breakdown and just kind of sum up where I feel the Wildcats are at position by position. Please remember, this is all just my opinion and does not necessarily represent that of the UA coaching staff.

Point Guard:

Arizona needs an elite point guard in its 2009 recruiting class and has several options, some of which are no-brainers.

Cory Joseph, 6-3, 175 lbs, Henderson Findlay Prep (#6 in Rivals150):

Late last week I spoke with Cory Joseph’s mother, Connie Joseph, who told me that Arizona had entered the picture for Cory. Several other schools will recruit Joseph strongly and it will be a difficult recruitment to land any five-star prospect, but the Wildcats’ need at the position makes the UA a very realistic option. At this point Joseph is wide open.

Vander Blue, 6-3, 190 lbs, Madison (Wisc.) Memorial (#26 in Rivals150):

This is a relatively new recruitment for Arizona, but the Wildcats will try and get involved with the Wisconsin decommit. We’ll see how interested he ends up being in UA.

Ray McCallum, 6-1, 175 lbs, Detroit Country Day (#36 in Rivals150):

Ray McCallum snuck in a surprise visit to Arizona this past weekend (click herehttp://arizona.rivals.com/content.asp?cid=951958 for the article) and loved it. UA is in there, as are a couple other national schools, and he could make a decision by the end of the summer.

Phil Pressey, 5-10, 155 lbs, Dallas Episcopal School of Dallas (#43 in Rivals150):

Arizona is probably in Pressey’s top five at this point and the Wildcats could get a visit from him this summer.

Gary Franklin, 6-2, 180 lbs, Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei (#87 in Rivals150):

It should be noted that Franklin isn’t currently an Arizona recruit because he’s committed to USC, but with everything going on over there, it wouldn’t be a surprise to anyone if he decommitted.

Jordin Mayes, 6-1, 170 lbs, Los Angeles Westchester (#97 in Rivals150):

It’s tough to figure out if Mayes is more of a point guard or a shooting guard. We talked to him at Pangos and he’s definitely very interested in Arizona. We’ll have that interview next week hopefully.

Trevor Releford, 5-10, 170 lbs, Shawnee Mission (Kans.) Bishop Miege:

Releford is a talented point guard who will probably find his way on the next Rivals150. He’s undersized and not terrifically athletic, but he can get to the basket and makes his teammates better. We talked to him at Pangos and will have that interview soon as well.

Shooting Guard / Small Forward:

Arizona can be picky here and probably won’t take anyone who isn’t a very good player/prospect. Here are some possibilities:

Will Barton, 6-6, 170 lbs, Baltimore Lake Clifton (#7 in Rivals150):

This would now have to be considered an extreme longshot. Kentucky is very high in there and Memphis is in the picture as well. UA is trying but he’ll be tough to land.

Cameron Clark, 6-6, 190 lbs, Sherman (Texas) (#22 in Rivals150):

Arizona has been recruiting Clark heavily since the new staff arrived, but UA is competing with the rest of the country to land him. The Wildcats have their foot in the door but he’ll be a battle for everyone.

Doron Lamb, 6-4, 175 lbs, Mouth of Wilson (Va.) Oak Hill Academy (#24 in Rivals150):

We talked to the New York native at Pangos and he said that he’s close with UA assistant Book Richardson and hopes to visit Arizona at some point this summer. That interview should be up in the coming days.

Trey Zeigler, 6-5, 175 lbs, Mount Pleasant (Mich.) (#47 in Rivals150):

This is a national recruitment and Arizona will battle several of the top schools around the country. However, Zeigler likes Wildcats and could visit UA at some point over the summer.

Anthony Brown, 6-6, 180 lbs, Huntington Beach (Calif.) Ocean View (#50 in Rivals150):

Arizona made Anthony Brown’s final five schools and he’ll take an official visit to UA before making a decision. We spoke with Brown at Pangos; he really likes the new UA coaching staff and we’ll have that interview up soon.

Justin Martin, 6-7, 200 lbs, Indianapolis Lawrence North (#56 in Rivals150):

Arizona has a very good chance with the Louisville decommit. The UA coaching staff was close to landing him at Xavier and he remains close with the coaches. If the Wildcats push hard for him, they’ll be right there at the end.

Keala King, 6-5, 175 lbs, Compton Dominguez:

King isn’t ranked right now but he will be soon. Arizona is evaluating him and he’s someone whose recruitment will definitely pick up in the coming weeks/months. He’s interested in Arizona and we’ll have an interview with him soon.

Power Forward:

Arizona is very desperate for depth at front, so along with center, this is a huge position for the Wildcats.

Dominique Ferguson, 6-9, 210 lbs, Indianapolis Lawrence North (#10 in Rivals150):

Arizona is definitely in the picture for Ferguson, who says he plans on taking a visit to UA at some point. Just so it’s known, the word is that Ferguson and Martin aren’t expected to play together in college.

Terrence Jones, 6-8, 220 lbs, Portland Jefferson (#27 in Rivals150):

Jones is expected to move up to five-star status, which is well deserved after his showing at Pangos. He’s one of UA’s top two West Coast recruits and the Wildcats are seriously pursuing him. Click herehttp://arizona.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=952022 for our interview with him from Pangos.

Jayvaughn Pinkston, 6-6, 235 lbs, Brooklyn Bishop Loughlin (#90 in Rivals150):

Pinkston has listed Arizona in recent weeks, due to his relationship with Book. He’s definitely someone the Wildcats will be watching over the summer.

James Johnson, 6-9, 220 lbs, San Diego Samuel F B Morse:

Johnson isn’t ranked, but he will be soon, and probably pretty high. He’s one of the Wildcats’ top two West Coast recruits along with Jones. Click herehttp://arizona.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=952320 for an interview with Johnson from Pangos.

Center:

Just as UA needs help at power forward, it’s also in need of a good center in 2010, although it’s plausible that the Wildcats just go with two very good power forwards. Here’s a list of targets.

Adreian Payne, 6-10, 215 lbs, Dayton (Ohio) Jefferson (#8 in Rivals150):

Arizona is one of several schools going after Payne, but the Wildcats are more involved than people might realize. At the end of the day, he probably doesn’t go too far from home, but UA is hanging in there.

Richard Solomon, 6-8, 210 lbs, Torrance (Calif.) Bishop Montgomery (#100 in Rivals150):

Solomon is listed as a power forward but will probably grow into a center. He’s more of a long term prospect but has a chance to be a good player down the road with continued development.

Alex Kirk, 6-10, 230 lbs, Los Alamos (N.M.):

Kirk is another player who will probably show up in the next Rivals150. Arizona recently offered him and he’s very interested in the Wildcats. Click herehttp://arizona.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=951684 to read about Kirk’s thoughts on the offer.

* All signs point to UA point guard Nic Wise returning to Tucson. He’s yet to announce anything, but it would be a surprise if he’s not playing for the Wildcats next season.

* Arizona will update a few of its basketball facilities. If you haven’t read the article about it, click herehttp://arizona.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=952016.

* Sean Miller and Book Richardson took in the Lakers-Magic game on Thursday night, sitting behind the Magic bench. Miller is close with Magic coach Stan Van Gundy, as they worked together for the University of Wisconsin.

* Arizona’s Director of Basketball Operations will be Jamall Walker and he’ll arrive in Tucson on Friday. Click herehttp://arizona.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=952068 for some background info on Walker.

* 6-foot-7, 180-pound 2011 Bronx (N.Y.) Cardinal Hayes wing Angel Nunez favors Arizona. Click herehttp://arizona.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=951676 for our interview with him.

* Arizona also leads for 6-foot-8, 200-pound 2011 Bronx (N.Y.) St. Raymond’s power forward Sidiki Johnson. Click herehttp://arizona.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=950307 for an update on his recruitment.

Football:

Here’s Jason Scheer’s weekly recruiting update:

* This is somewhat of a quiet week because of Arizona’s football camps this weekend. Expect there to be plenty of updates once the weekend is over and hopefully we get a better feel for how some of the in state guys are leaning.

* One of the players in attendance on Saturday will be 6-foot-3, 290-pound Chicago Brother Rice offensive lineman Andy Gallik. He tells EdgyTim.com, "Arizona has been recruiting me for a long time now and my recruiting coach Bill Bedenbaugh and I get along really well. I've never been to Arizona so I'm looking forward to making this camp trip. I'll leave on Friday morning, camp on Saturday and then spend some time on Sunday just looking around and getting a good feel for the school. I'm hearing it's already like 100 degrees there so that will be quite a chance from the weather in Chicago today (62 degrees)." Gallik does not have an offer yet, so it will be interesting to see if he gets one camp. If not, it may be difficult to earn one down the road but if he does, the path of his recruitment could be interesting to see considering his relationship with Bedenbaugh.

* Some are a bit surprised that Arizona has not offered 6-foot-5, 270-pound Scottsdale Saguaro offensive lineman Kody Innes, especially considering there are eight schools that have. Arizona State is in there strong and there is a good possibility that if he were to stay in state, it would be ASU. However, he will be making his way to Tucson this weekend and if the coaching staff gets a good feel for his recruitment and Innes does enough to earn an offer, there is a strong chance that he will get one.
* One player that did get an offer this week is 6-foot-2, 212-pound Tempe Corona del Sol linebacker Kyle Benson. We hope to catch up with his this weekend, but Arizona is in very good shape. He has developed a strong relationship with UA assistant Tim Kish and will get a chance to see the way he coaches up close. Benson told us that there is pretty much no way he would commit to a school without at least seeing the others recruiting him, so don’t expect anything big to go down this weekend.

* Another in state player that got an offer is 6-foot-1, 185-pound Avondale Westview cornerback Jourdan Grandon. Many feel that he is ASU’s to lose and he just might be, but he seemed more open than that when we talked to him. When telling us his top five, he stopped to let us know that the two in state schools were basically the ones he is looking at. Unless a school like Washington or Colorado impresses him, we would be a bit surprised if he left Arizona. The UA has a chance to make a big push this weekend when Grandon’s team comes down for the passing camp on Saturday.

* 6-foot-1, 170-pound Riverside (Calif.) J.W. North wide receiver Dres Anderson has two offers, but that should change soon. The entire Pac-10 is looking at him and the general thought is that an offer from UCLA would probably end the recruitment. However, he plans on visiting Arizona among others, as he tells Rivals.com, “This summer I'm planning to go to Boise State, Arizona, Arizona State, Oregon, Cal. I plan to go through the process for a while, but if I feel real strong with a team and its coaches and I talk to my parents and family, and if I feel it's time, I'm ready to pull the trigger at any moment."

* We had a chance to talk to 6-foot-1, 198-pound Tulsa (Okla.) Central athlete DeMarco Cobbs and he mentioned a handful of schools before talking about Arizona. However, in an interview with TigerBait.com he says, "I would say all of them in the top ten have a pretty good shot right now. I don't have a top five or anything, but those would be the ones that have the best shot.” Arizona was one of the schools that was in his top ten and we would expect Texas to get involved now that one of its top receivers has made the jump to BYU. In other words, expect this one to be very, very difficult.

* One 2011 player to keep an eye on is 6-foot-2, 185-pound Denton (Texas) Guyer dual-threat quarterback J.W. Walsh. Walsh claims a verbal offer from Arizona and recruiting attention from many other schools. Obviously there is quite a while left in this recruitment, but he is definitely one to keep an eye on.

* We had an opportunity to talk with 6-foot-3, 190-pound Corona (Calif.) Eleanor Roosevelt wide receiver Austin Hill. He told us, “I am still learning about the program and my dad does most of research but Arizona is definitely one of schools I might visit.” He also tells Rivals.com, "I'd probably want to play in a spread-type offense. Since I'm a receiver, I don't want to just be blocking all the time. I'm looking for good coaching and players with good personalities. The school is a big thing to me. Facilities are OK, but the school's environment is really big for me.” In other words, there is definitely a good chance that he and Tyler Slavin take a long look at Arizona.

* 5-foot-11, 165-pound Tucson Sabino athlete Keanu Nelson spoke with BruinBlitz.com and basically confirmed what we have known for a while now when he told the site, "I would like to visit both Stanford and UCLA. I want to visit Stanford because it’s Stanford. It's like the Ivy League on the west coast. UCLA has the whole thing going on. They are great, both academically and athletically." Arizona is going to be in there at the end but it is going to be difficult to beat out schools with major academic backgrounds.

* Nothing has changed with 6-foot-1, 185-pound Corona (Calif.) cornerback Demetrius Wright. He still has Arizona among his top schools along with Florida, Tennessee, Washington, USC, and Cal. USC and Florida will be tough to beat out, but the UA does not seem to be going any where and is definitely going to be a school Wright looks at hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News