ADVERTISEMENT

GOAZCATS.com War Room: 5/8/09

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh Gershon

Lute Olson 'Almighty'
Mar 16, 2002
Mostly recruiting, but a little more team stuff than usual this week…

Basketball:

* The big topic of the week has been the recruitment of five-star wing Lance Stephenson, and to date there have been many more questions than answers on the subject.

Stephenson’s recruitment has seen so many conflicting national reports, most notably between Adam Zagoria of ZagsBlog.com and Jeff Goodman of FoxSports.com.

Zagoria says that Arizona is still pushing for Stephenson, while Goodman - an Arizona grad who is the better connected to UA out of the two - says the Wildcats probably won’t take him.

The fact is that UA has been recruiting Stephenson and Arizona is firmly in the picture to land him but the real question is whether or not UA will ultimately take him. Goodman’s information is that at the end of the day, Arizona won’t, while Zagoria is saying Sean Miller would accept him if he wanted to commit.

The reality is somewhere in the middle, although knowing both reporter’s sources, Goodman’s is much better. Arizona continues to look into the situation to make sure that it’s the right fit for both sides and as of now there is no answer on what UA will decide to do.

A good percent of what’s been reported about this recruitment has been inaccurate. If you’re a UA fan, your best bet would be to not hold on to every report that comes out on Stephenson and instead wait for a definitive answer on what he’s going to do.

There’s no legitimate timetable on this - anything could happen at any time.

* According to Vicki Watson, the mother of UA forward Darnell Shumpert, Miller has told her that Shumpert will receive a scholarship throughout his UA career.

“DJ is a full scholarship player,” Watson said. “He has a scholarship to play at the U of A as long as he wants to stay according to Coach Miller.”

Watson says that Shumpert was never a walk-on and that the family has never agreed to be at Arizona without a scholarship.

“At no point, no time, no how was DJ a walk-on,” Watson said. “If that were the case, he would not have been at the U of A. I would not allow my son to turn down numerous scholarships for a walk-on spot.”

Miller has yet to publicly comment on the situation.

* Out of the four available positions on Arizona’s staff - Director of Basketball Ops, Administrative Assistant and two graduate assistants - Arizona has its Administrative Assistant (Ryan Reynolds of Wake Forest) and a graduate assistant (DII assistant with significant AAU ties).

The Administrative Assistant spot can’t be announced by the University until 10 days after the position was posted by the U of A. Arizona posted the job on May 4.

Reynolds talks to GOAZCATS.com about the job herehttp://arizona.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=942391.

Arizona still has to hire a DOB and another graduate assistant. From what we understand, Miller still has several DOB candidates and he’s trying to narrow it down and choose the right one. The main candidates we’ve heard have West Coast ties.

There’s no word on when a final decision will be made but it doesn’t appear that Miller is in a hurry to make the hire.

* News has been slow on the Nic Wise front. No one from the family is talking right now, but it’s well known that while Nic is on campus, doing schoolwork and working out with the team, he’s taking the draft process seriously and will consider professional options overseas.

It’s generally believed that at the end of the day he’ll come back to school just because that’s the most logical move, but it seems like Wise’s focus right now is making a final decision based on whatever options he has at the end of workouts, which have yet to begin.

* I caught up with Darryel Mayes, the father of 6-foot-1, 170-pound Los Angeles Westchester point guard Jordin Mayes, who is ranked 48th in the 2010 class by Rivals.com.

Darryel spoke with Archie Miller last week and said that Arizona is definitely a school that will be considered.

“We know the history of Arizona as far as being a guard school,” Darryel said. “We know it’s going to a rebuilding process. We told them that we’re open and it’s all going to depend on how interested they are “

The Mayes family is very close with Damon and Salim Stoudamire, as they’re originally from Portland. Darryel said they aren’t anticipating making a decision any time soon.

* I spoke with five-star Dayton (Ohio) Jefferson center Adreian Payne, who claims he’s wide open in his recruitment.

He said he’s been hearing from assistant James Whitford and Arizona. He said that distance wouldn’t be a factor, but some close to him feel as if that will be the biggest obstacle that teams outside of his area will face.

Arizona will try to land him but it will definitely be a tough recruitment, to say the least.

* Another option at center could be Alex Kirk, a 6-foot-10, 230-pound center from Los Alamos (N.M.). Kirk was recruited by Russ Pennell before he was named interim head coach and the new UA staff will look at him as well.

* Miller spent this week in Phoenix for the annual Pac-10 meetings. That’s most notable because it’s the first time Miller has been around Herb Sendek since being named head coach at UA.

* Since announcing that he’s transferring, Zane Johnson has registered interest from schools in programs everywhere from the ACC to WAC. He’ll have to make the same decision he made in high school: either go to a larger school and be a role player or go to a low or mid major and be a focal point of a team.

* 6-foot-10, 195-pound Vancouver (Wash.) center Steven Bjornstad is trying to get out of the LOI he signed with Nevada. Should he be released, he’s someone Arizona could look into as a late signee.

Bjornstad is more of a long term project, but is very agile for his size and moves well. Should he get stronger and improve his skills, he could make an impact in the Pac-10.

* This week Arizona made contact with 5-foot-10, 170-pound Shawnee Mission (Kan.) Bishop Miege point guard Trevor Releford, whose brother Travis plays for Kansas.

Releford is another player who was recruited by Pennell, so while his attention is starting to increase, he does have familiarity with UA.

Football:

* As of today, Arizona plans on giving out 19-20 scholarships for its 2010 class. Here’s how the UA hopes to fill those rides.

Quarterback: 1 Total, 0 Left (Matt Brown committed)
Running Back: 1 Total
Wide Receiver: 3 Total
Offensive Line: 4 Total, 3 Left (Mickey Baucus committed)
Tight End 0-1 Total
Defensive Line: 3 Total
Linebacker: 3 Total
Defensive Back: 4 Total
Long Snapper: 1 Total, 0 Left (Chase Gorham committed)

The offense and defense should have 9 or 10 scholarships given apiece.

It should be noted though that the totals could change depending on who leaves the team over the next several months, and what backups develop to provide quality depth.

On top of that, if Arizona already has a position filled but a very highly touted player wants to commit, UA almost always plans to take him at the expense of another position. (JG)

Jason Scheer’s weekly recruiting update:

* 6-foot-8, 270-pound Owasso (Okla.) offensive lineman Trent Spurgeon is down to three schools and his last visit will be to Arizona. Spurgeon tells PonyPride.com, "When I talked to Coach Seth Littrell and Coach Bill Bedenbaugh, they have great things to say about my future there. I have bad allergies so I would have no allergies in Arizona so that would be a plus.” Spurgeon should be able to make a decision right after visiting the UA, thus it will obviously go a long way in where he chooses to go. SMU and Texas Tech are the other two schools he’s considering, and he’s turned down offers from Stanford, Oklahoma State, Missouri, Kansas, Kansas State and Duke, among others.

* 5-foot-9, 175-pound Fountain Valley (Calif.) all-purpose back Kyle Middlebrooks is getting attention from numerous schools in the west. While he is a solid football player, his track speed is what makes him stick out and it has caused the Wildcats to keep an eye on him. He tells Rivals.com, "I've talked to Pac 10 schools like Washington, Washington State, Arizona and a couple of others. They're just waiting and want to evaluate me a little more on tape. They're going to wait a little bit. I don't mind waiting. If it comes, it comes.” Arizona fans should wait as well, as Middlebrooks is certainly a player to keep an eye on.

* 5-foot-10, 190-pound Corona (Calif.) running back Jordon James has now gone on record with his top eight schools and Arizona is right in the thick of things. "I want to visit a lot of schools before I make my decision, but I think I have a top eight," he told Rivals.com "They are Florida, UCLA, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Stanford, Arizona, Washington and Tennessee." We hear that Arizona is going to be right there in the end and there is a good chance that he will opt to stay close to home. Of course, plenty could change between now and early next year, when James is expected to decide.

* 6-foot-3, 220-pound Modesto (Calif.) Central Catholic quarterback Dylan Swartz tells Rivals.com that he is planning on attending Arizona’s camp this summer. As we have said numerous times in the past, the Wildcats are confident in their quarterbacks right now, meaning it would be very hard for Swartz to get an offer any time soon. In fact, unless Richard Morrison, is a complete bust or someone transfers, we see Matt Brown being the only signal caller the UA takes this class. With that being said, Swartz will try to make an impression when he comes to camp next month.

* 6-foot-4, 280-pound Chino (Calif.) Don Lugo defensive tackle George Uko is difficult to get a hold on in terms of what schools he is favoring. Uko is definitely going to get more offers and there is word that the local schools are coming soon. From what we hear, Oregon is in very good shape, but Uko is maintaining an open recruitment and does not seem like he will have a decision any time soon.

* 6-foot-2, 278-pound Midwest City (Okla.) defensive tackle Dominique Jones has an offer from Arizona and the Wildcats seem to be in good shape for him. He has developed a strong relationship with Seth Littrell, but location could be a factor. As far as a decision goes, he tells Rivals.com, “I was thinking about not waiting, but the more I think about it, the more I want to wait and see what's the best thing for me. I'm looking for a school that is really strong academic wise. I also will be looking at how the people are. I'm looking for a family environment, a place that I know I can feel welcome." As of now, it remains to be seen which place that is, but the UA is right in there.

* 6-foot-2, 250-pound Roseville (Calif.) Sierra defensive end Perry Jackson has been receiving attention from Arizona. He tells Rivals.com, "Arizona coach Jeff Hammerschmidt has written me handwritten letters. He told me that I am on their list of defensive ends." Although Jackson has not been offered yet, he is somebody to watch. Since he is a junior college player, have will be unable to hit the camp circuit, thus the UA will likely need a bit longer to evaluate him and watch his progression.

* 6-foot-0, 170-pound Pearland (Texas) Dawson athlete Darian Lazard is starting to hear more from Arizona. He is able to play numerous positions and Arizona seems to like his versatility. While he is a bit more known for being a quarterback in high school, there are a handful of schools that want to see what he can do at other positions before offering.

* Wahpeton North Dakota State College of Science linebacker Derek Earls was offered by Arizona this past week. It is his second offer and he has developed a relationship with his recruiting coach, Tim Kish. Earls tells CycloneReport.com, "I haven't been down there. I know they are graduating all of their linebackers so they are in the same boat as Iowa State. They are going to need to some linebackers." Earls barely missed qualifying out of high school and instead of playing in a lower division, he chose to go to junior college in order to play against the competition that he is likely capable of playing against.

* 6-foot-8, 290-pound Chandler offensive lineman William Poehls is looking for his first offer, but has the in-state schools on his radar. Both state schools have been recruiting him and he has already been down to Arizona’s campus. He tells ASUDevils.com, "Arizona's junior day was good. I love the coaching staff that Arizona has and the facilities are good. Tucson is far enough from home but not too far that I could not come home and visit when I had the chance.” Poehls will be attending Arizona’s camp this summer in hope of gaining an offer.

* 6-foot-2, 212-pound Tempe Corona del Sol linebacker Kyle Benson is starting to get more recruiting attention and recently received an offer from Utah. Arizona is definitely looking at him in a year in which the in-state talent is down. Benson is a player that may have to earn an offer at camp, but he is definitely a player that Arizona and Kish will have an eye on.

* 6-foot-3, 175-pound Oak Lawn (Ill.) Richards wide receiver Keith Sconiers has had an offer from Arizona for a while and recently had the opportunity to talk to a member of the coaching staff. He tells EdgyTim.com, "I've received phone calls so far from both Arizona and Illinois. The phone calls went really well and it gave me a chance to ask the coaches some questions about each school and each football program. I talked to each coach for about a half hour or so and overall they were really informative calls."
Arizona has been on Sconiers from the beginning and it seems it will need to be on him for longer, as he is no where close to making a decision.

* 6-foot-0, 184-pound San Diego Lincoln wide receiver Davon Dunn is likely going to get a bunch of offers sooner than later. He is able to play both sides of the ball, as evidenced by the fact that he had 58 tackles, seven passes deflected and three interceptions last season. On offense playing slot-back, he scored 25 touchdowns, including 17 that were on the ground.

* 6-foot-2, 185-pound Denton (Texas) Ryan wide receiver Bud Sasser has an offer from Arizona, but he may be difficult to pull from Texas Tech. He is the teammate of Scotty Young and the early word is that Young has helped Tech emerge for Sasser. Arizona sent a coach to his school last week and other schools certainly have not slowed down their recruiting of one of the better receivers in Texas.

* 6-foot-5, 240-pound Arlington (Texas) Bowie defensive end Donovan Vestal was offered by Arizona this past week. He seems to be open in his recruitment and the UA coaches are currently in the process of making an impression on him. He mentions that Oklahoma State and Kansas are starting to emerge for him, but his recruitment seems to have some time remaining.

* We hinted last week that the recruitment of 6-foot-1, 185-pound Corona (Calif.) cornerback Demetrius Wright would change with a handful of new offers and it seems that is exactly what happened. Wright tells Rivals.com, "I'm still taking my time with the process, but my top five has changed. I have a tie at the top with Florida and USC. After that it's Oklahoma and Washington, then Arizona." The Wildcats are still doing well for him and will be right in it at the end, but obviously schools like SC and Florida will be very hard to beat.

* Lastly, the new position rankings are out and here are some notables: Allen (Texas) quarterback and Arizona commit Matt Brown checks in as the 11th best dual-threat quarterback. He is a 5.7 three-star player and should he be able to move up to a 5.8, Brown would be a four-star. In addition, 6-foot-8, 255-pound Mundelein (Ill.) Carmel Catholic offensive lineman and UA commit Mickey Baucus is a solid three-star player. He is not involved in the new position rankings and, as of now, his ranking seems to be pretty solid.
This post was edited on 5/8 2:38 AM by Josh Gershon

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News