ADVERTISEMENT

GOAZCATS.com War Room: 2/18/11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh Gershon

Lute Olson 'Almighty'
Mar 16, 2002
It was a huge day for the Arizona basketball program on Thursday, and we'll get right into analysis of the Wildcats' latest commitment.

Basketball:

Arizona’s 2011 class is finally complete with the addition of 6-foot-8, 205-pound San Diego Hoover forward Angelo Chol, who announced his commitment to the Wildcats on Thursday in San Diego.

Chol joins a group of Josiah Turner, Nick Johnson and Sidiki Johnson, giving the Wildcats one of the best recruiting classes in the country.

For more on Chol’s commitment, we caught up with Rivals.com national recruiting experts Jerry Meyer and Eric Bossi, who agree that it’s a big pickup for the Wildcats.

“Considering Angelo is the top big guy available, that itself is pretty important,” Meyer said. “Also I think Angelo is a great complement to Sidiki Johnson; he’s a different type post player than Sidiki is. He’s more athletic and more of a defender. When you consider all of those things, I think it was a very important get for Arizona.”

“I think it adds depth to what was already a pretty strong recruiting class,” adds Bossi. “You have a couple guys with some star power in Nick Johnson and Josiah Turner, and then you’ve got a couple productive posts in Angelo Chol in Sidiki Johnson to join them and do the dirty work.”

Bossi says that Chol brings a defensive presence to the UA, with the ability to contribute offensively in time.

“I think he’s interesting,” Bossi says. “He might be one of those guys who we find out we had a little under-ranked, depending on the development of his offense. He’s a very quick leaper with great length, and he uses it. He fully extends when he’s on offense and defense. He’s got a little bit of touch out to the elbow. He’s an interesting prospect.”

Meyer has a similar scouting report of Chol.

“He’s a long athlete, he’s mobile, has a knack for blocking shots, can rebound, offensively he’s raw and still has some development to do, but as athletic as he is, he should come around, it’s just going to take a little bit of time and development.”

Depending on whether or not Derrick Williams goes pro, Chol’s playing time as a true freshman could be somewhat up in the air, but both Rivals.com experts believe he could become an all Pac-10 player in time.

“I really wish I could have seen him this year,” Bossi said. “Heading into last summer, I thought we might have a potential all-league type prospect. This summer I don’t think he got seen that much. I think he’s going to be a pretty good Pac-10 player regardless.”

“You’d think that early on, the expectations for Angelo are that he’d contribute and help Arizona win, and maybe later in his career, becomes more of a go-to player on the offensive end,” says Meyer.

“Exactly what that translates to, in terms of all Pac-10 or what have you, I don’t know, but I’d hate to say that’s his best case scenario, because you never want to put on a limit to what a kid can do.”

Momentum is a huge part of recruiting and with the addition of Chol, Arizona has plenty of it for recruiting the 2012 class, where the Wildcats already have a commitment from a five-star prospect in Grant Jerrett.

The expectation is that UA won’t be slowing down any time soon.

“Momentum is a huge element of recruiting with on the court success; basically they feed off each other,” says Meyer. “That has everything to do with the momentum in recruiting the next class. Everything is paying out perfectly right now for Arizona.

“They’re playing well on the court, Derrick Williams has a national reputation right now and it’s even better for Arizona because he’s an overachiever, a guy who was overlooked and has developed there. It just shows the success prospects can have playing at Arizona.”

Bossi also feels that the Arizona staff will continue to recruit at a high level.

“I don’t see why they wouldn’t,” he said. “They’re doing it with mostly West Coast kids. They’re winning right now, maybe a little bit earlier than people expected them to. It’s got to be creating a buzz for them.”

So where does Arizona’s 2011 class rank with the addition of Chol? Meyer and Bossi seem to hold UA’s class in similar regard.

“It has the chance to be a top five class nationally,” Bossi said. “If not there, certainly real close to it. I don’t see there being a better one in the Pac-10. I think it’s a great effort for Sean Miller.”

“Nothing is set in stone and there are still guys on the board, but it’s a number five type class,” says Meyer.

Miller and staff have already put together a Top 15 team in their second season. However, Meyer feels that the players UA is bringing in to the program can help the Wildcats compete at an even higher level.

“I think these are the type of players you can win a championship with,” he said. “I think it’s going to take a lot of coaching to get to that point but Sean Miller is a great coach, he has the program on the up-shift and they do a great job developing players.

“I think with everything combined, and the talent of these players, I think they are making inroads to winning a national championship.”

* A cool note from Thursday's press conference was Hoover head coach Ollie Goulston making it clear how important winning is to Chol.

"The thing for Angelo is, number one he wants to win more than anything," Goulston said. "People have to understand that. He doesn't care if Derrick Williams is back... To him, he hopes Derrick Williams is back because it gives Arizona a better chance to win. He doesn't look at it selfishly."

* Chol himself told Inna that the decision came down to two things:

"I got to see them play and I saw the style and I love the style," he said. "The coaching, I love coach Miller, he's a really good coach and I feel he'll coach me to get better."

* Here are updates on where Arizona is currently seeded on a number of NCAA tournament projection websites before Thursday's game with Washington State:

RealTimeRPI.com - #4 Arizona vs. #13 Belmont
ESPN.com - #5 Arizona vs. #12 Belmont
Bracketography.com - #5 Arizona vs. #12 Missouri State
SportingNews.com - #6 Arizona vs. #11 Memphis, Cincinnati, Colorado State, or Utah State
Jerry Palm - #6 Arizona vs. #11 Michigan State or Kansas State
Rivals.com - #6 Arizona vs. #11 Memphis, Virginia Tech, Baylor or Missouri State
Bracketology 101 - #6 Arizona vs. #11 Memphis
SportsIllustrated.com: #7 Arizona vs. #10 Boston College

Football:

It was an up and down week for the Arizona football program. The Wildcats lost an assistant, but gained a quarterback.

* On Monday, Duane Akina left Arizona to rejoin Texas, the program he departed for to join UA last month. Wildcats fans have debated on whether blame goes to Akina or Mike Stoops.

Our understanding of the situation is that blame lies both ways. Akina reneged on an agreement and embarrassed the UA program by leaving. On the other hand, we've heard Akina didn't mesh with some aspects of the program, making it easier for him to leave once he had the opportunity to go back to UT.

Stoops will likely take his time finding a replacement, although Graduate Assistant Ryan Walters will be a serious candidate.

* Arizona received some good news Thursday with the commitment of Rutgers transfer quarterback Tom Savage.

After completing 149 of 285 passes for 2211 yards and 14 touchdowns as a freshman, Savage lost his job as a sophomore and opted to transfer. He will redshirt next season and then have two years to play two beginning in 2012.

The transfer gives UA much-needed depth and talent at quarterback, while also possibly creating a quarterback competition between Savage and Matt Scott after Nick Foles graduates.

"Tom's a great addition to our recruiting class," Stoops said. "It gives us a game-experienced quarterback to compete in the near future. Getting him is similar to us getting Nick (Foles) as a transfer a few years back."

Jason Scheer's weekly recruiting breakdown:

* One player to keep an eye on is Ventura (Calif.) St. Bonaventure signal caller Marc Evanshttp://arizona.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=120468.

Evans is still looking for an offer, but it seems that he will be headed to the Pac-12, figuring he gets an offer within the conference.

In fact, UCLA is thought by many to be the favorite, but the Bruins have options and an offer is not a guarantee at all.

"I'm kind of thinking about staying in the Pac-12," Evans tells Rivals.com. "It's closer to home so my parents could come out and it's an easier drive so they can come watch me and I like the schools here. Anywhere in the Pac-12 would be great but I'm really favoring UCLA or Cal.

"I went to a UCLA game against Oregon State with my dad and I really liked the atmosphere and the whole big stage. I really liked that. Cal was one of the first ones to contact me to say they're interested. My teammate, Jalen Jefferson, is going there so it would be cool to play with him."

* Arizona has offered Chandler wide receiver Javon Williamshttp://arizona.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=120176.

Williams is the cousin of current Oregon player Dion Jordan, but says that likely will not play a role in his decision.

"A lot of people think I'm going to wait for Oregon because Dion goes there and he's my idol but it's not like I'm definitely going to go there if they offer me," Williams tells ASUDevils.com. "I'm going to take all my visits and do what's best for me and it will be my own decision."

Williams has five offers now and will likely see that increase. Arizona is in good shape, but it does not seem like a decision would come any time soon.

Still, if Williams reaches his goal, he will be one of the more highly recruited players in the state.

"I felt like I had a big year," Williams said. "Just coming out of nowhere made me feel good and getting a lot of spotlight and recognition. I got offers coming in and I just feel like I worked hard and earned it. I'm going to come out next season and work even harder to see what I can do."

* Arizona may be a long shot, but it is going to put in the full effort to land Tempe Corona del Sol offensive lineman Andrus Peathttp://arizona.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=105073.

Peat’s brother, Todd, is headed to Nebraska. However, Andrus says that decision will likely not play a major role in his.

"I mean it obviously gives them a little bit of an edge because me and my brother have a really good relationship," peat tells HuskersIllustrated.com. "But, I want to find the right school for me. It could be Nebraska, but I want to find the schools where I'm comfortable and I have the opportunity to be the best player.

"Yeah he wants me to do what's best for me. He hasn't been trying to get me to go to Nebraska. He just wants me to find the right situation for me.”

Peat will likely have his choice of schools and already has a good idea of what he will be looking for.

"I just want to be comfortable with the coaching staff and the players too," he said. "It's about where I can fit in with those guys that I'm going to be around for three to four years.

“Just a place where I have a good opportunity to play and become the best player I can be. Location doesn't really matter to me, I just want to find that right school."

* Kaysville (Utah) Davis defensive end Troy Hinds http://arizona.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=105073 has an offer from Arizona and the Wildcats appear to be right in the thick of it.

"I have known about Oklahoma and Coach (Bob) Stoops and his brothers for a long time,” he tells SoonerScoop.com. “We are from Arizona so I remember when Mike Stoops went to Arizona to coach there.

"It's cool because I have an offer from Arizona and now Oklahoma. It would be cool if I got to meet both Stoops brothers."

Hinds is close to narrowing down his list of schools and considering that Arizona was one of his first offers, it would be a surprise if the Wildcats were not on that list.

"My dad will help me evaluate the schools I'm interested in,” Hinds said. “We will look at the education opportunities, football program, coaches, social atmosphere and stuff like that.

“My dad and I are going to sit down in a week or so and come up with a top 10 list because we think it's important to be honest with all of the great schools that have shown interest in me.”

* The Wildcats have offered Lake Forest (Ill.) Academy junior defensive end Faith Ekakitiehttp://arizona.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=110916.

"I have three more offers,” he tells EdgyTim.com. “Minnesota, Arizona and Vanderbilt have all offered me a scholarship over the past few weeks. Again it's just great to be able to get three more offers from three quality schools and programs.

“I really don't have any favorites right now. I’m just going to wait and see what my options are and then I'll look to narrow things down to a list. I'm really in no hurry to narrow things down or to name any favorites for now."

Ekakitie will likely take his time making a decision, but has plans to take as many unofficial visits as possible.

* Avon (IN) athlete Charles Davishttp://arizona.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=122447 is getting some attention from the UA.

He is being recruited as a wide receiver, but also has the ability to play running back.

"Some schools are talking with me about playing slot receiver," Davis tells Peegs.com. "I really want to play running back, but I will do whatever they need to help the team. If they need me to play slot then I will play slot. I just want to play and win."

It will be interesting to see if the UA decides to offer, as Davis does not want to drag out the process.

“I want to have it done by the middle of my senior season so I can focus on the rest of the season and hopefully make it to state with my team," he said. "I don't want to let recruiting get in the way of that. I just want to play football and get that out of the way so I can focus on grades and football."

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News