ADVERTISEMENT

GOAZCATS.com War Room: 11/5/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh Gershon

Lute Olson 'Almighty'
Mar 16, 2002
This week’s GOAZCATS.com War Room features a Q&A with an Arizona basketball assistant, football recruiting updates, and more.

Basketball:

We caught up with UA assistant Book Richardson for a Q&A with the Wildcats getting closer to their first game of the 2010-11 season.

GOAZCATS.com: You’re a couple days away from your first exhibition game, tell me where your program is at now compared to a year ago.

Book Richardson: It’s tough to compare the two because we were a brand new staff that got here in April and we were in Tucson for just a couple months. We had to recruit when we got here so we didn’t really get to know our guys, just like our guys didn’t get the chance to know us.

Derrick Williams, Kyle Fogg, it’s easier to coach these guys once you know them a little more. Truth be told, it works both ways. The guys know us now. We were the fourth coaching staff in four years. Those guys didn’t know to trust us; they’re kids. I think everyone now understands what we’re looking for.

I think we’re in a better place than last year in terms of the size and strength of our guys. I think we’re in a better place in terms of a systematic approach. I think our guys understand what it takes to wear a University of Arizona jersey across their chest. I think they’re starting to understand a little bit more of the process of winning a Pac-10 championship.

GOAZCATS.com: Who would you say has made the most progress since the first day of practice?

Book Richardson: I would have to say probably Solomon Hill, just in terms of what he’s done to his body, how he’s dedicated himself to being in shape and his endurance.

Kyryl Natyazhko as well, in terms of him being 6-foot-11, as nimble as he is, I don’t think he gets enough credit for what he’s done with his body. It’s a little bit more difficult for bigger guys to grasp it and with Kyryl, he’ll have the opportunity to have a really good season.

GOAZCATS.com: I’ve heard that in many of the practices, Solomon Hill has been your team’s best player. Is that accurate?

Book Richardson: Yeah, Solomon Hill has definitely been there. MoMo (Jones) has been really good. Derrick and Solomon… Jamelle Horne has been really good. He’s rebounding the ball; he’s gotten bigger and stronger.

Kyle Fogg becomes underrated because he’s consistent and makes open shots, but he’s done a much better job of passing to open teammates. I think when you start looking at us overall, you become complacent because this is what they’re supposed to do.

GOAZCATS.com: How do you see the battle at the wing positions shaping out?

Book Richardson: I love it. That’s what we didn’t have last year. We didn’t have a competitive environment to fight for minutes. Richard Jefferson said when he came here with Luke Walton, he wasn’t discouraged.

He went right after Luke and Luke went after him every day. Guess what, they both got better individually but the University of Arizona got better as a team with two guys of that caliber going at each other.

Kevin (Parrom), Solomon, Jamelle, Jesse (Perry), it’s great because every day they’re forced to play against each other and they’re forced to compete. That’s a great thing.

GOAZCATS.com: If you had to choose one player who will really surprise people this year, who would you say it is?

Book Richardson: I would say Kyryl Natyazhko; Kyryl and probably Solomon. I know you said one but I have to choose both of them.

GOAZCATS.com: How have they changed their games so you feel confident in choosing them?

Book Richardson: I think Kyryl’s understanding of team. I think it’s difficult for a big young guy coming out of high school, where he was a prolific scorer who could do whatever he wanted, to now have to say ‘hey, they threw it in to me, now I need to throw it back to someone else who is open,’ that concept of team doesn’t hit everyone at the same time.

Solomon I think has proven to himself that he belongs. He was a top 30 guy in high school and I think he got really complacent and let his talent take over, so when he got to college he was behind. Physically, he wasn’t where he was supposed to be and he put himself in a bad situation. He wasn’t as athletic and explosive as he is now.

GOAZCATS.com: How has MoMo adapted to his starting point guard role?

Book Richardson: It’s still a work in progress because his mentality is that he wants to score and he’s good enough to score, but he needs to set the table for others first. I think for him it’s always been when things went bad, he would put the team on his shoulders by scoring.

Now, as the starting point guard at Arizona, he may need to put the team on his shoulders by defending. He may need to put the team on his shoulders by making sure he makes the right reads, or just being positive. It’s not just about scoring.

He’s been such a good scorer for such a long time, it’s tough to take that way, but he needs to understand that it needs to be in moderation and to pick his spots. If he can score, that’s fine, but he needs to also make sure Derrick Williams is good, that Solomon Hill gets in double figures, or he gets Kyryl going.

GOAZCATS.com: What were you able to learn about your team in the scrimmage against Utah?

Book Richardson: We’ve got to do a much better job of getting back. I think sometimes when you play against one another so much, you can watch as much film as you want but it’s just different because it’s one another.

If we call a certain play, one player might know what we’re running and he’ll look like a genius because he shortcutted the play. They’re not able to shortcut someone else’s play. If we can have 10 more scrimmages, it would be great because it’s true feedback.

That’s kind of what I gathered from it, just making sure we do a much better job of pressuring the ball defensively and playing together.

GOAZCATS.com: Do you prefer an exhibition over a game against a D2 team?

Book Richardson: I do. Just selfishly as a coach, when it’s real, when the bullets start to fly, you always want to make sure you put your team in the best possible situation to be successful.

I think when you have an exhibition game, you have 14,000 people to see if you win. When you’re in the scrimmage, it’s not about did you win, it’s about how you played, did we jump the ball screen, did we rebound well? You never want to be unprepared going into a live game and the exhibition put us in a better place.

GOAZCATS.com: Rivals.com projected you to be an 8-seed in the NCAA tournament. Do you think that’s a fair projection?

Book Richardson: That’s really not for me to comment on. I think we have to honor the process. We need to earn the right to win. If we’re an 8-seed, an 11-seed, whatever, the goal is to just keep getting better every day. Wins and losses will take care of themselves, I think.

GOAZCATS.com: You’ve been on some NCAA tournament teams. At this stage, does this look like a tournament team?

Book Richardson: Every team is different. I think sometimes you become spoiled because maybe you’re a 3-seed one year or you’re a 4-seed one year. Those teams were all different. I don’t know how they look to be honest. When we were a 3-seed we lost a scrimmage to Akron.

It was like man, it was the end of the world, but we went on to win 30 games. We lost at Miami (Ohio). You don’t know, but all you can do is honor the process, and make sure you’re earning the right to win, earning the right to compete.

I think that’s the biggest thing. I’ve been around some teams where you look great (in the preseason) and won and then you win six games and wonder what happened.

* Some notes on the team heading into the Wildcats’ exhibition game on Sunday:

- At point guard, everything is still the same. MoMo will start and Jordin Mayes is backing him up. Mayes is further ahead than expected offensively, but adapting defensively has been the biggest adjustment so far.

- At shooting guard, Kyle Fogg still looks to be the starter. While Brendon Lavender is probably behind him, something to look out for will be Kevin Parrom sneaking in from backup small forward to being backup shooting guard as well.

- At small forward, Solomon Hill is still the starter, with Kevin Parrom backing him up. In big lineups, Jamelle Horne could get some minutes at the three.

- At power forward, Horne is still the starter, with Perry backing him up.

- At center, Derrick Williams is expected to get the bulk of playing time. If there’s a question about Williams at this stage, it’s going to be defensively. There’s no shortage of confidence in his offense in games, but UA is looking for his post defense to improve. Natyazhko has been inconsistent in practice, but even though he looks very good in practice sometimes, eventually he’s going to have to carry that over to games.

* Last week, Lute Olson told GOAZCATS.com that if there were one former player of his whose jersey he would want retired, it would be Jason Terry. On Wednesday, Rahsaan Gethers asked Terry for his take on Olson’s quote.

"No question, and as would I,” Terry said. “Things happen for a reason. I paid my debt to society. Hopefully one day they'll find it in the goodness of their hearts and until then I'm going to leave it in God's hands.”

Football:

* Almost the entire team is healthy heading into the Stanford game. The biggest question is at quarterback, but we fully expect Nick Foles to get the start, with Matt Scott seeing at least some action in the game.

Jason Scheer’s weekly recruiting update:

There is not going to be a ton of new information until Arizona comes back home and there are more players coming in on official visits.

* 6-foot-2, 250-pound Chicago Curie defensive end James Adeyanju http://arizona.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=101227 has given his verbal to Wisconsin.

"All of the official visits went great but in the end Wisconsin was able to just stand out above the others in my mind,” he tells EdgyTim.com. “I knew after the Wisconsin visit that I had found the school I was looking for so I decided to just end my recruiting and stop taking official visits.

“I'm solid to Wisconsin and my family is totally on board with my choice. I could of made two more official visits but why wait because I knew what I wanted."

Adeyanju took an unofficial to Arizona and enjoyed it, but it remained to be seen if the UA would have gotten an official as well. As it turns out, it never really mattered.

* 6-foot-2, 185-pound junior quarterback Connor Brewer http://rivals.yahoo.com/arizona/football/recruiting/player-Connor-Brewer-93534 visited Texas and enjoyed the experience.

"All of them are great schools,” Brewer tells Orangebloods.com. “Right now, I haven't been around them enough to compare and contrast, pick which one is better than the others.

“But Texas is obviously a great place. They didn't get the win like they wanted, but just being around the campus and the fans, it was cool to be around that”

While there are as ton of schools recruiting brewer, he has yet to name a leader or even come up with one.

"I've heard some of that speculation, but it's a little early to say who is in my lead," Brewer said. "Every school I've been to is great. It's too early to say which ones would be my top ones."

* 5-foot-8, 185-pound athlete Barrington Collins http://rivals.yahoo.com/arizona/football/recruiting/player-Barrinton-Collins-105377 is starting to see some recruiting attention from numerous teams.

"It's going pretty good," Collins tells Rivals.com. "A lot of schools are in their season, worried about their season right now, so the offers aren't going to come until after the season. I'm not putting my head down, I'm ready to go each week and I'm coming out ready to do my thing.

"Last year I played that slot position so a lot of people have seen me there and they haven't seen me run the ball. They don't really know if I'm consistent but I'm here to show them I'm consistent. Each week I'm getting better and better."

Collins is planning on being patient as schools like Arizona, UCLA, Florida State, Arizona State, and others recruit him.

"We'll see how it goes over the next couple months," Collins said. "I just plan to keep playing it by ear. I know they have to do a lot of research. There are thousands of backs out there.

“They have to watch game film and they need to meet the person and the parents. It's a lot of work so I'm just waiting."

* Fresno (Calif.) Central East wide receiver B.J. Kelley http://rivals.yahoo.com/arizona/football/recruiting/player-B.J.-Kelley-114932 is seemingly down to two schools.

"ASU's chances are really high,” he tells ASUDevils.com"I'm very excited about them. I'm probably just going to go on one more trip to Oregon, which will be my last trip. But ASU was amazing.

“It'll definitely be between them and Oregon. I told my coaches and parents about it and we're going to try to get a date when I can take them out there. I already know they're going to love it like I do."

Kelley’s comments coming back from the ASU visit were very similar to hose made after the UA visit.

"I loved the atmosphere out there and the people, the game, the players, the coaching staff, everything," Kelley said. "I really didn't know much at all about ASU when I came to the visit and I didn't know what to expect, but it blew me out of the water. It was great."

Oregon remains Kelley’s favorite and chances are good that he winds up there, although his feelings about other schools have consistently changed.

* 6-foot-5, 235-pound San Diego Westview junior tight end Taylor McNamara http://rivals.yahoo.com/arizona/football/recruiting/player-Taylor-McNamara-115563 has Arizona as one of his favorites.

McNamara was close to going to Ohio State before the Wildcats made things a bit interesting.

"I was going to (commit), I was close to one, but I've kind of backed off a little bit," McNamara tells Rivals.com. "I was close to one, I really liked everything and then Arizona is competing now.

"(The Wildcats) have so much going. They throw to the tight end so much. My mind changed so much, so quickly, that I might just want to wait it out. I can't just rush it because it's such a big decision and my mind changes every other minute so I'm going to wait it out and make the right decision."

Arizona is tempting for McNamara because he would be able to come in and get playing time right away.

"That's definitely going to play in," McNamara said. "I guess that's what made me back off a little bit from Ohio State because they're more of a traditional set where at Arizona I could probably play early and Arizona wants to flex me out.

"They tell me they want to use me like they did with Rob Gronkowski. I love how they used him. They flexed him out and let him block which gave him pro potential and now he's in the NFL. That would be cool if I could follow in his footsteps."

* Arizona is doing very well for Ohio defensive end Austin Traylor http://rivals.yahoo.com/arizona/football/recruiting/player-Austin-Traylor-106929.

Traylor is down to Arizona, Cincinnati, Michigan, and Wisconsin. Wisconsin may be somewhat of a long shot right now because of Adeyanju and West Virginia has been eliminated.

Traylor will be visiting for the USC game and could have a final decision soon after that. Arizona is definitely in good position for the ninth-best weakside defensive end in the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News