ADVERTISEMENT

GOAZCATS.com War Room: 11/19/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh Gershon

Lute Olson 'Almighty'
Mar 16, 2002
Besides an unofficial visitor in basketball, it's been a pretty light week in both sports.

Basketball

* Arizona hosted five-star combo guard Chris Thomas on an unofficial visit on Thursday. It was a one day visit, as Thomas will leave on Friday.

Thomas was shadowed by the UA coaches in Las Vegas in July and the Denver native is a top target for the Wildcats in the 2013 class.

We'll have more on Thomas after he leaves Tucson.

* Arizona had a long list of recruits in the 2010 class. Here's a rundown on how those recruits are doing at their new schools. They're in order of Rivals.com ranking.

1. Josh Selby, PG, Kansas: Selby still hasn't been cleared by the NCAA, which is looking into his amateur status.

8. Cory Joseph, PG, Texas: Joseph is averaging 7.7 points, 4.7 rebounds and 2.7 assists in three games as UT's starting point guard.

11. Will Barton, SF, Memphis: Barton missed a few weeks of practice due to injury and was eased back into the lineup, playing light minutes in two games before breaking out against Northwestern State, scoring 22 points with 8 boards.

13. Terrence Jones, SF, Kentucky: Jones scored 25 points and grabbed 12 rebounds in Kentucky's opening night win against East Tennessee State.

14. C.J. Leslie, PF, N.C. State: Leslie is averaging 12.5 points and 4.0 rebounds in two wins for the Wolfpack.

20. Adreian Payne, C, Michigan State: Payne is averaging 7.5 points and 7 rebounds in 12.0 minutes in two games for the Spartans.

21. Doron Lamb, SG, Kentucky: Lamb had 20 points, 5 rebounds and 3 assists in Kentucky's lone game of the season.

26. Keala King, SG, Arizona State: King had 5 points and 2 boards in 16 minutes in ASU's loss to New Mexico.

28. Trey Zeigler, SG, Central Michigan: Zeigler is averaging 18.7 points, 5.7 rebounds and 2.3 assists in three games for 1-2 Central Michigan.

34. Cameron Clark, SG, Oklahoma: Clark is averaging 8.0 points and 6.0 rebounds in three wins for Oklahoma.

43. Ray McCallum, PG, Detroit: McCallum is averaging 6 points, 4 rebounds and 3 assists for 0-2 Detroit.

46. Dominique Ferguson, PF, Florida International: Ferguson is ineligible for the fall semester and is hoping to play second semester.

61. Phil Pressey, PG, Missouri: Pressey scored 9 points to go with 4 rebounds and 1 assist in a win over Western Illinois.

65. Anthony Brown, SG, Stanford: In two wins, Brown is averaging 8.0 points and 4.0 rebounds.

73. Jayvaughn Pinkston, PF, Villanova: Pinkston was recently charged with two counts of assault. He won't play while the university reviews the incident.

78. Gary Franklin, PG, California: Franklin had 7 points, 2 rebounds and 2 assists in 26 minutes in Cal's 80-63 win over Cal State Northridge.

90. Trevor Releford, PG, Alabama: Releford is averaging 9.0 points and 4.5 assists in Alabama's two wins over Florida A&M and Troy.

92. Rod Odom, PF, Vanderbilt: The former UA commit is averaging 2.5 points and 1.0 rebounds for 2-0 Vandy.

97. Bryce Jones, SG, USC: Jones is averaging 11.3 points, 4.0 rebounds and 2.3 assists in 32 minutes for 2-1 USC.

108. James Johnson, PF, Virginia: Johnson will redshirt this season.

109. Richard Solomon, PF, California: Solomon had 6 points and 4 rebounds in 14 minutes against Cal State Northridge.

116. Alex Kirk, C, New Mexico: Starting for New Mexico, Kirk is averaging 6.5 points and 7.5 rebounds in 22.0 minutes per game, which have been wins over Detroit and Arizona State.

125. Terrell Stoglin, PG, Maryland: The local product is averaging 10.3 points and 2.7 assists in 13.3 minutes for 3-0 Maryland.

NR Tremayne Johnson, SF, Eastern Washington: The former UA commit under the last staff is averaging 17.0 points and 7.0 rebounds in 38.0 minutes per game for 0-2 Eastern Washington.

NR Eloy Vargas, PF, Kentucky: The JUCO transfer didn't score but had 4 rebounds in 13 minutes against East Tennessee State.

Also, here are updates on some former Wildcats:

Zane Johnson, SG, Hawaii: Johnson is averaging 8.7 points and 2.0 rebounds starting for 3-0 Hawaii.

Garland Judkins, PG, Texas A&M Corpus-Christi: Judkins is averaging 9.0 points in 19.7 minutes starting for 1-2 Texas A&M-CC.

Jeff Withey, C, Kansas: Withey is averaging 5.0 points and 2.0 rebounds in 9.0 minutes in two games for Kansas.

Laval Lucas-Perry, SG, Oakland: Sitting out this season after transferring from Michigan.

Football:

* Arizona's biggest concern for next season could be at defensive end, as the Wildcats only appear to have two players solidly on the depth chart in redshirting JUCO transfer Mohammed Usman and redshirting freshman Dan Pettinato. Due to health reasons, Apai Tuihalamaka's future appears in question.

That means Arizona has to hit a home run in signing defensive ends in 2011 and it could also lead to UA moving a tackle or two at end.

We caught up with defensive line coach Mike Tuiasosopo to get his thoughts on Arizona's depth at defensive end.

"We've had some attrition there and that's why we've had a little bit of a hole there in my opinion," Tuiasosopo said. "You've got Usman, and we're really excited about how he's coming along. He's got a great motor and he's going to be a player for us.

"Dan Pettinato is going to help us. He has to keep coming along. We need to bring some guys in here pretty quickly."

While the depth at defend end is a concern, Tuiasosopo likes what he sees from his young defensive tackles.

"We're really excited about some of young defensive tackles," he said. "Obviously Sione (Tuihalamaka) and Justin (Washington). Willie (Mobley) has two more years. I think the future is bright with them. They need a little more work and need to have a good off-season. So far those guys can play. Kirifi (Taula), (Aiulua) Fanene, and the rest of the guys look good."

8 Here's an updated scholarship breakdown:

Total Scholarships: 25 (8 left to give)

Offense: 12 (5 left to give)

Quarterback: 2 (1 Left, Daxx Garman committed)
Offensive Line: 4 (3 Left, Jacob Arzouman committed)
Running Back: 2 (0 Left, Ka’Deem Carey, Jared Baker committed)
Wide Receiver: 2 (1 Left, David Richards committed)
Tight End: 2 (0 Left, Michael Cooper, Drew Robinson committed)

Defense: 12 (2 left to give)

Defensive End: 3 (1 Left, Joseph Carter, Reggie Gilbert committed)
Defensive Tackle: 2 (1 Left, Sani Fuimaono committed)
Linebacker: 3 (0 Left, Jabral Johnson, Hank Hobson, Rob Hankins committed)
Defensive Back: 4 (0 Left, Kerry Swarn, Tra’Mayne Bondurant, Ezekiel Bishop, Travis Feeney committed)

Special Teams: 1 (1 left to give)

Punter: 1 (1 Left)

* Jason Scheer's weekly recruiting update:

The Arizona State game is looking like it could be a relatively big recruiting weekend and we don’t expect a lot of news until then.

* * 6-foot-5, 330-pound Chicago Simeon offensive lineman Chris Bryant http://arizona.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=107605 is scheduled to visit December 3.

At this point, Arizona is in very good shape and some close to the recruitment believe it is down to Michigan and the UA.

Stanford is definitely hanging around, but Arizona has built a very solid relationship with Bryant and the visit is going to be huge in his decision. If he enjoys Arizona and can deal with the difference in location, we believe the Wildcats will emerge as the favorite.

* Arizona commit Jared Baker http://rivals.yahoo.com/arizona/football/recruiting/player-Jared-Baker-99629 enjoyed his official visit this past weekend.

"I think the visit went great," Baker said. "I had a great time and I got to learn about how everything is going to be when I get there."

Baker is still getting some attention from other schools, but says that it is nothing to worry about, as he is still headed to Arizona.

"Some schools are still contacting me, but it has died down a bit since I committed," Baker said. "I tell those schools that I am still solid to Arizona."

* Corona (Calif.) defensive end DeVante Wilson http://arizona.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=97772 is sticking to the plan in his recruitment.

Wilson will be visiting USC on December 10 and make a decision soon afterward.

"I just want to see the academics and I want to meet the coaches again and get a good feel for them and to see how comfortable I am there," Wilson tells Rivals.com.

"I just want to do it on my birthday. I decided to make a decision on that day."

Wilson is down to USC, Nebraska, and Arizona with each school feeling confident in his recruitment.

"When I went to Arizona there was a very good atmosphere out there," Wilson said. "The coaches were all great and they seemed sincere and everyone welcomed me which was really cool. The fans really stuck out when I went there.”

Arizona has been on Wilson the longest of the three schools, but it is always difficult to get a Los Angeles kid away from a school like USC.

The visit to USC is going to be absolutely huge in this recruitment and could be the deciding factor, as the Trojans are confident in landing Wilson.

* Arizona is keeping tabs on Denver Muller junior quarterback Cyler Miles http://rivals.yahoo.com/arizona/football/recruiting/player-Cyler-Miles-117130.

Miles is emerging as a legitimate dual-threat quarterback and already holds an offer from Colorado.

"I am real hard on myself and I always think there is a lot of stuff I can improve on," he tells BuffStampede.com. "I have done pretty well and I have proven myself to be a good quarterback for the most part, but there are things I can still improve on, thing that people haven't seen of me. I am just going to keep working."

Miles does not necessarily embrace the title of a dual-threat quarterback, as he says he simply does what it takes to make the play.

"That is really up to you guys to put a label on me as a quarterback, but if I was say, I would say I am a dual-threat," Miles said. "I look to pass first and if nothing is really open, I can run, too."

* Glendale (Ariz.) Cactus offensive lineman quarterback Ryan Nowicki http://arizona.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=108338 continues to get more offers and play out his recruitment quietly.

"I've been pretty much talking to (USC) every week and they wanted to get a lot of my senior film to see how much I've improved and they got that finally and then it just happened," Nowicki tells Rivals.com

"I started talking to (Penn State) two weeks ago and then they got my senior film and they offered me. I guess they saw something they liked on me and they called me and they watched the film and that was it. My family is from Illinois, we're all from there, so it's really not that far from me."

Nowicki is playing out his recruitment very well, as he has yet to take any visits or name a leader. Arizona is definitely in good shape, but it is truly difficult to gauge just how much.

USC will be a major player as well and it looks as if this recruitment could simply come down to which of his five official visits Nowicki enjoys the most.

* Wilmington (Calif.) Los Angles Harbor College defensive back quarterback Byron Moore http://arizona.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=116471 will definitely be visiting Arizona.

"I am going to Oregon State, Tennessee, Arizona and Washington," tells BeaverBlitz.com. "My fifth trip will either be Baylor, UCLA, Miami or Cincinnati."

Although Moore played safety in high school, the schools recruiting him now are looking at him as a cornerback.

Many people feel UCLA is a favorite, but if Moore does not take a visit there, all bets are off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News