ADVERTISEMENT

GOAZCATS.com War Room: 1/28/11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh Gershon

Lute Olson 'Almighty'
Mar 16, 2002
It's a big weekend for the basketball team with an official visitor in town and an important home game, while the UA football staff tries to wrap up its 2011 recruiting class.

Basketball:

* This weekend, Arizona welcomes in its only 2011 recruit for an official visit in 6-foot-8, 205-pound San Diego Hoover center Angelo Chol.

The four-star prospect, ranked 76th in his class by Rivals.com, has already officially visited Alabama, Kansas and North Carolina. He'll visit Washington on Feb. 12 and then announce his decision on Feb. 17.

Since being invited into his recruitment in August of 2010, Arizona has steadily made progress and as of today is exactly where it wants to be with less than three weeks to go until the announcement date.

What is on the line here? Arizona desperately needs depth in the post, regardless of whether or not Derrick Williams returns next year. Should Williams come back, UA would probably be fine with or without Chol, but if he doesn't come back, Chol is needed right away.

Regardless of what happens with Williams, Chol is especially needed in 2012-13 when Grant Jerrett is a freshman, Sidiki Johnson is a sophomore and Kyryl Natyazhko is a senior.

Of course, UA hopes to have both Brandon Ashley and Rosco Allen on its roster as freshmen, but a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush and all that can be assumed right now is based on what UA for sure has, and that's a projected roster with some talent but not a ton of bodies.

Chol has had an interesting four years of high school. He was rated as a five-star prospect for much of his career, but now most have him as a four-star recruit in the 40 to 80 range.

Like all high school kids, the athletic post needs to put on weight to be able to reach his potential, but has the athleticism and build you're looking for.

He's considered one of the best defensive players in state history - he holds the all-time national prep record for blocked shots in a season with 337 in 2008-09 - but does have a developing skill set on offense.

Chol has a nice midrange shot and will shoot out to three. He also has some post moves that can definitely be developed with college coaching.

There are some areas where he needs to improve, and when Chol makes a decision - assuming it's Arizona - we'll go further into the strengths and weaknesses of his game and where he projects on the roster moving forward.

* On Thursday, GOAZCATS.com's Inna Lazarev conducted one-on-one interviews with Sean Miller, Archie Miller, James Whitford and Book Richardson - amongst several others around the UA basketball program - for her debut article.

Without giving too much away, here's a few quotes from Sean Miller:

On how the new staff has been supported by boosters and fans:

"For people to believe in Arizona, our program, our staff and myself, in such a quick way under a new coaching change, it's really been the most fulfilling part of being here.

"I think we've been here 22 months and not only has a lot of recruiting taken place but I think we're building ourselves for 10 years down the road with some of the things that happened financially and people giving like they have."

On the ex-players taking in Miller and his staff:

"The former players really stand out; those guys were all very receptive and welcoming. I think they made myself and our staff really feel like each one of them wants what’s happened in the past to continue in the future.

"Their support was really, really appreciated because that’s the one unknown when you get to a new place, how close the former players are and how they really deep down feel about their own experience and the program once they’re not in it.

"Here, you know our fraternity of former players is second to none, there’s so many of them doing well and they care so much about the future that to me it's one of the many great parts about being at Arizona."

On the difficulty of rebuilding:

"It’s very difficult. It makes you realize how fun it is to win and we came on the heels of I think 25-9, 30-7, 27-8, and the team that we left behind was obviously outstanding; I think they won 27 games. We had Xavier really built to last, up and running and it's just a matter of continuing on like Arizona did for many years.

"Sometimes you underestimate the toll it takes to get things in place at your next stop. So (the 2009-10 season) was a hard year, this year’s hard - we still have a lot of games left - but I do think we’ve made progress."

* Book Richardson took a visit to North Carolina this week to stop by Quality Education Academy, the new home of Josiah Turner.

* Last week in Henderson (Nev.), I caught up with Findlay Prep assistant Todd Simon to discuss the progress of Nick Johnson since last season.

"Nick made a great leap," said Simon. "We were fortunate that we had him last year because he took his momentum into the summer. He plays for a great program in the Soldiers and those guys did a great job developing his game further.

"He's really shortened his release, he's a step faster, the weight room is sticking to him now and he's a phenomenal lockdown defender; I think he's potentially the best defensive guard in the whole class. He's been phenomenal and the consistency of what he's done this year is a big leap for him."

Besides his work ethic, Simon believes that one of the biggest reasons for Johnson's improvement is how coachable he is.

"He's receptive," said Simon. "He's humble and willing to do what you ask. He's one of those guys where coach Miller, if he needs to get after them a little bit, he's not one of the guys who walks away or wants to quit or walks home. He says, okay, I'm gonna take it, he sticks out his chest and does better."

Those aren't words you use to describe every player, which Simon made clear.

"I don't think you say that for half the kids," he said. "Especially in this day and age. It's rare when kids can take coaching like that."

The transition from role player to leader isn't easy, and Simon is pleased with how his senior has adapted.

"It's a lot of responsibility," he said. "This isn't an easy program because it's an all encompassing deal. It's not just play the games and go to practice; it's everything. These guys are always on top of each other and blending all those personalities is important and it starts with those seniors."

Simon thinks that Johnson's defensive ability will get him on the court early on the next level, just as several ex-Findlay stars have early into their college careers.

"Nick is right in the same group of the elite level guys," said Simon. "Our trademark has been versatile, attacking, defensive oriented, bulldog type of guards like Avery Bradley, Cory Joseph and Jorge Gutierrez, and he's right in the same mold.

"He's probably the most explosive player we've had, and we've had a million explosive guys that can really put on a show, but for his size, to be able to do that, it's impressive. "

One of the best high school programs in the country, Findlay is a place that UA will continue to recruit heavily from in the future and during Johnson's recruitment, Simon was impressed by what he learned about the Arizona staff.

"We know they get after it," said Simon. "A lot of what they do in their system I've been impressed with. Both of the Millers have been out here and they communicate. They have a very similar system to what we do and they're very similar philosophically.

"We can really appreciate what they're doing. They're very throughout and very upfront and honest. They're going to have a bright future on the West Coast."

Football:

* Arizona received a commitment and a decommitment on Thursday, which we'll cover in the weekly recruiting breakdown below.

On top of that, we've been told by sources close to the recruitment that Arizona has received a commitment from 6-foot-5, 300-pound Tustin (Calif.) offensive tackle Faitele Faafoihttp://rivals.yahoo.com/arizona/football/recruiting/player-Faitele-Faafoi-90183.

The three-star prospect will officially visit UA this weekend, and we'll have more on him once he confirms his commitment.

* Also in town this weekend will be one of the best junior college kickers in the country who is a strong candidate to join Arizona's 2011 class. The third visitor will be an offensive lineman from Samoa.

We'll have more information on both prospects in the Premium Stoops Suitehttp://arizona.rivals.com/forum.asp?sid=974&fid=1890&style=2 this weekend.

* Jason Scheer's weekly recruiting breakdown:

Arizona had some major recruiting news, both good and bad, come down Thursday night. We will start with the good news, as San Jose (Calif.) Community College defensive end Lamar De Regohttp://rivals.yahoo.com/arizona/football/recruiting/player-Lamar-De Rego-120553 has switched his pledge from Oregon State to Arizona.

“I switched to Arizona because I felt comfortable with the program and the academics,” De Rego said.

Arizona made a major impact on De Rego when he took his official visit a few weeks ago and came away extremely impressed.

“I took my trip two weeks ago and enjoyed myself out there not just because it was a recruiting trip but also because the guys on the team made me comfortable and feel like I was a part of the team already,” he said.

De Rego says that his decision had more to do with liking Arizona than disliking Oregon State and he is already looking forward to the season opener.

“It was nothing personal for Oregon State and I have a lot of respect for the program and Mike Riley did a good job recruiting me,” De Rego said. “I am just more comfortable with Arizona and glad I came to a decision. I'm happy to move on and have our first game against NAU.”

De Rego will have a better opportunity to contribute at Arizona than he would have had at Oregon State, but says that depth was not a huge part of his decision.

“Arizona not having a lot of defensive ends makes people think but I feel that no matter where I go I still have to compete,” he said. “Nothing is guaranteed and you have to practice and compete and the best guys are going to play.

“Of course I look at depth chart but in the end I feel comfortable with Arizona. Weather actually played a big part because I am from California and I have never lived in the snow, which Oregon gets and Arizona does not.”

De Rego knew he was headed to Arizona before Thursday night and has told this to schools trying to get involved late.

“There are some other options that came in late but I told them I was sticking with Arizona,“ he said. “Nevada came in and offered me last week and some other Pac-10 schools were heavily interested.

“They told me they had heavy interest if I was still open but I told them I was happy with Arizona and firm with my decision. I am looking forward to signing my papers and starting practice.”

* The bad news that came down Thursday night was Travis Feeneyhttp://rivals.yahoo.com/arizona/football/recruiting/player-Travis-Feeney-117331 making the switch to Washington.

"Arizona did nothing wrong," Feeney said. "I just felt that Washington was the place for me."

Arizona was the first school to offer Feeney, but he always had interest from numerous Pac-10 schools that eventually decided to offer.

His visit to Washington proved to be too much for Arizona to overcome, but thankfully it comes at a position where Arizona is not hurting for depth right away.

* Chris Bryant http://arizona.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=107605 took a visit to Illinois this past weekend and will now make his decision today.

"I'm all done taking visits and I'm still glad I had a chance to take four official visits,” Bryant told EdgyTim.com. “It was good to get to know the coaches and the players better and I also learned more about each school.

“I'm announcing my college choice at my school on Friday along with a few of my teammates. I'm going to decide between Michigan, Arizona, Illinois and Pittsburgh and those are my final four schools."

Bryant has maintained that he will be looking hard at academics and the coaching staff. We would be a bit surprised if his choice was not Michigan or Arizona, but the reality of the situation is that Michigan is the favorite.

Bryant met with Brady Hoke and the meeting went just fine, which makes us think the Wolverines have to be the favorite.

* Ka’Deem Careyhttp://arizona.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=100951 took a visit to Arizona State this past weekend and claims that he is now torn between the two in-state schools.

"I really enjoyed it," Carey tells Rivals.com. "When I went down there it was different than what I thought. I got to meet with the academic people there and I liked what they did and that they're very interested in their students.

"I liked the campus. There were a lot of pluses. The coaches and their relationship with me, it was fun. I got to meet with all the coaches and they were just really upfront. They just talked to me about football and how I would fit in there and what I have to do."

We still feel that Arizona is the favorite, but sources close to Arizona State feel the same way.

There is pressure from both sides and we likely will not hear any hints from Carey until Signing Day.

We feel that the school with the current commitment is always the favorite, as the burden is on ASU to change his mind, while Arizona can play the card that it has been with Carey for a long time now.

* We’ve mentioned on the boards that Christian Heywardhttp://arizona.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=104599 is not going to Arizona and his head coach confirmed it this week.

"He told me, 'Coach, right now I'm very much keeping an open mind,' " Mike Hastings tells AztecSportsReport.com. "He says it's down to USC, Oregon and San Diego State. He wants to see if San Diego State is the right fit for him. If he feels it is, he will be happy to join a great program and contribute."

It could go either way, but we have heard that San Diego State is gaining momentum again and could be Heyward’s decision.

* Cortez Johnsonhttp://arizona.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=116812 is taking two more visits before he makes a final decision and Arizona is extremely involved.

"I have already had visit to Southern Miss, Louisiana Tech, and Arizona this month,” GopherIllustrated.com. “I am going to Pitt tomorrow and I leave right from there to Minnesota.

“It has been really busy lately with a lot of new schools coming at me. It kind of came all at once I was not really expecting to get the offers from Minnesota, Arizona, or Pitt."

Johnson says he is still committed to Southern Mississippi, but that may be a little difficult to believe.

"I have already had visit to Southern Miss, Louisiana Tech, and Arizona this month,” he said. “I am going to Pitt tomorrow and I leave right from there to Minnesota. It has been really busy lately with a lot of new schools coming at me. It kind of came all at once I was not really expecting to get the offers from Minnesota, Arizona, or Pitt."

Arizona may be the favorite right now, but it is difficult to feel too confident with two more visits coming.

* Duncan (Okla.) athlete Dominique Pettieshttp://arizona.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=105395 has Arizona has his favorite now that he has taken a visit and plans to go to Pittsburgh this weekend.

“I loved the campus and how everything was tied together,” Petties said. “I love all the coaches, especially Coach Kish. He is a nice guy.”

Petties is a risk for some schools because of academics, but it seems he has figured it out late in the process.

"He has gotten his grades are in order and everything is good there, he just didn't attain his entire core coursework in four years," Duncan head coach Jim Holloway tells Pantherlair.com. "The NCAA says you have do it in four years unless there are extenuating circumstances.

"That's the case with him, so a college will have to file a waiver to get him into school. But you can't file that waiver until the end of school when you have the final transcript. So Pitt and the other schools are trying to figure if they'll take a chance on trying to sign a kid who may not qualify."

Arizona is in very good shape with Petties and has kept consistent contact with him, which could pay off.

“Right now I feel good about Arizona,” Petties said. “I’m going to take one more visit and make my decision.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News