ADVERTISEMENT

Final tally

Matt Moreno

Senior Editor
Staff
Aug 8, 2011
Tucson, AZ
arizona.rivals.com
Now that the dust has settled things didn't quite go exactly to plan across the board, but the big one did happen Thursday night in New York as Arizona landed the top pick in the NBA Draft with Deandre Ayton staying home in Phoenix as the newest member of the Phoenix Suns. Ayton became the first UA player to earn the top pick in the NBA Draft in program history.

"Having my name called to be the first pick for the Phoenix Suns was mind-blowing," Ayton said to the media in New York after his big moment. "Having all that confidence and leading up to that point when I saw Adam Silver came out, I was just waiting for my name, and when he called it, my mind went blank. I just did the routine everyone else was supposed to do, and I just got up there and enjoyed the moment, and I saw the reaction on my mom's face. It was just priceless."

Sean Miller was able to be in New York and at Ayton's table for the event in what turned out to be a history-making moment for his program.

It was a big night for the Wildcats in that regard, but less so with its other players.

In a bit of a surprise, but not completely shocking, Rawle Alkins was not selected in the draft and instead earned a training camp contract with the Toronto Raptors. Alkins had made many projections as a second-round pick, but those did not come to fruition when draft night arrived.

Meanwhile, Allonzo Trier wasn't expected to get drafted and that was the case, but his night didn't end poorly. He earned a two-way contract with the New York Knicks. What it means is the Arizona guard will begin his NBA career in the G League with the Westchester Knicks but he could get called up and his salary would instantly jump up when that happens although he is not allowed to spend more than 45 days with the big squad. He also gets more money than the average G League player to begin with. The Knicks will also retain his rights after the season.

Each team is only allowed to have two two-way contracts each season, so Trier knows he is set for at least the next year.

Deandre Ayton: No. 1 overall pick (Phoenix Suns)
Allonzo Trier: Undrafted (New York Knicks — two-way contract)
Rawle Alkins: Undrafted (Toronto Raptors — training camp contract)
Dusan Ristic: Undrafted
Parker Jackson-Cartwright: Undrafted

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News