ADVERTISEMENT

Defensive Line Projections for 2018

FratNightGaming

All-American
Oct 10, 2017
Arizona in 2017 is a good team. But a great team to watch and root for. I love these Cats - they're young, exciting, have a lot of heart, and are now led by their on-field, de facto leader in Khalil Tate. Tate is the type of quarterback that RR has always needed to most effectively run his system, and the switch to Tate has proven just how dangerous his offenses can be. Arizona now has a top 10 (probably top 5) offense...

and there is a LOT of room to grow. Although Tate has played extremely effectively, his passing game is a major work in progress. However, unlike other quarterbacks at the helm, Tate has great potential in this area as well. The offense is currently fairly one-dimensional; inside zones and read-options are called the majority of the time, and amazingly, its efficacy has barely dipped even in response to talented 8 and 9 man defensive fronts (USC and WSU). However, as Tate learns to better develop his reads, take what the defense gives him, and trust the timing of his routes, this offense will be nearly unstoppable in the next two years.

However...

There is a glaring weakness on this team - one that can be identified a mile away. The defensive line is terrible. Even with Derek Boles playing very well. On a good defensive line, Belknap, Bruno, and Zellers should never see more than a handful of snaps per game. On a team like Arizona, Belknap, Bruno, and Zellers should never start, but could be used in the 2 deep. If Arizona wants to be a great team, they need playmakers on the defensive line. And a lot of them. And quickly. So how do we get AZ to be a legit contender for next year, assuming that our chances for contention is directly related to the production of our defensive line? Well, there are 4 areas in which help can come from. I would love some insight from the forum and Matt as to where certain players stand in the program, as well as how impactful they may be in the near future. Also be sure to share your opinions of who you would like Arizona to land in the 2018 class, who you think AZ is most likely to get at these positions, and who you think will form the 2-deep for AZ's defensive line for next year.

1. Defensive Lineman from 2016/2017 classes: Jalen Cochran, Jalen Harris, Anthony Pandy, My-King Johnson. Quick, talented players who need to put on weight. A lot of weight. And then some more weight. I would be happy it if 1 out of Johnson, Harris, and Cochran can overtake Belknap's starting role for next year. I would love to get an update on their progress (Cochran is out for a long time) as well as some projections for their future weight/potential. Also, Kurtis Brown should be a key cog in the middle for the next 3 years. He needs to put on 10 lbs of muscle to get to a solid 295.

2. JUCO 2018: If RR wants to take advantage of having Tate as QB, he'll need help in the form of already-made-men JUCO D-Lineman. Jonathan Loloea is considering AZ. Who else? There are quite a few DE's from the state of Arizona: Azur Kamara, Marquess Daniels, Cassius Peat. Bryant Pirtle is also considering AZ. RR has not experienced great success with JUCOs in the past, but he'll need to if he wants to make a 180 on the Dline.

3. Transfers/Grad Transfers: I assume we find out after the season to see which players will transfer from their schools... I'd love to add another Boles to our team. Any update on Noah Jefferson???

4. High School Boys: I'd love to pull 2 D-lineman - who are not JUCOs - in this class. Mykee Irving does not look impressive to me. However, that is based solely on his tape. He projects to be a project, and well, how often do projects turn out??? I really don't know... It would interesting to run a case study to examine how "projected projects" have fared during RR's tenure at AZ. Anyway, Tyler Manoa, while part of '18 class, would not play for 2 years... I fear AZ does not have two years to wait and may be better served using a precious scholarship spot on someone who can come in right away. Josh Watson de-committed. Will he re-commit? There are tons out there. Who would you like to land? Who are more likely to come here?

Overall, AZ NEEDS - in my estimation - 4 DL in this class. Right now we have 1. Share your thoughts on what should be done!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News