ADVERTISEMENT

Aaron Gordon after Pac-12 title game loss

Tracy McDannald

Lute Olson 'Almighty'
Aug 8, 2011
Remember that story I've told a few times about approaching Aaron Gordon after a loss during his last AAU days before his senior high school season?

Well, Gordon's eyes were puffy and red after today's loss, his head down with a towel draped over his head as the media walked in the locker room following the grace period. We all approached Rondae Hollis-Jefferson first, who was more ready to speak at his locker.

Looking over, I notice a photographer snapping photos of the scene with Gordon, which is fully within his right. The players are all aware the media enters in the postseason, as they saw the previous two days. This includes photographers.

Well, Chris Johnson makes Gordon aware of what's going on, and he didn't like it. I don't have it verbatim, but Gordon essentially asked him why he was taking photos. The photographer explains himself, not that he had to, and Gordon says, "I can respect that. Whatever gets you paid."

Meanwhile, the rest of us with Rondae are all aware as this is going on.

Minutes later, still visibly distraught, the rest of us make our way over and he does his interview just fine. Some questions he provided short answers, but for the most part he was solid and collected his thoughts. His comments about his free throws were someone who took full responsibility, but also clearly more hard on himself than he had to be. It was uncomfortable at times, but it comes with the territory for both player and media.

This also is partly the reason I wish Arizona would have let the players speak after the loss at ASU. Losses are going to happen, and 30-4 isn't going to happen every year. They had yet to deal with heartbreak and then have to face the questions. I felt bad for him because it's not something he was prepared for.

I've handled my own personal interviews with him in the past OK. Sometimes he doesn't like my question - and today he didn't like it about the 3 in the corner - but I'm used to it. I don't need a robot who has 100 percent control of his emotions at all times. He's also 18, so it's not something he's used to quite yet. He takes losses hard and he admitted that after the game.

But you're also looking at a guy who will likely be leaving to the NBA, where all the locker rooms are open throughout the season. Again, I feel bad for him. He hasn't been fully prepared in this area of being an athlete, and he's going to be a professional very soon. The sympathy, the understanding and personal past experiences like I've had with him, will not be there with a reporter who covers the NBA.

Now, I wonder what happens if Arizona gets eliminated in the NCAA tournament. The questions will not only be about a loss, but we all know someone will use that moment to ask him about his future. Will he stay or go pro? He's probably not going to like the question. I just hope he's able to handle it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News