ADVERTISEMENT

Spring practice: five quick notes (Spring Game)

Matt Moreno

Senior Editor
Staff
Aug 8, 2011
Tucson, AZ
arizona.rivals.com
Well I will have a lot more from Friday night's spring game in the coming days, but let's start with five quick notes like we usually do after a practice. Tonight was a chance to see a little more than what we have seen this spring with a more game-like setting, but it was a lot of the same that I have been talking about so far this spring.

Here's five quick notes from Friday night's spring game.

* One of the things that stood out to the media and likely everyone watching as well was Arizona's use of the tight end on Friday night. Josh Kern and Trevor Wood were able to get plenty of work in and I have mentioned that has been the case - especially as of late - during practice. It came to fruition Friday night with Kern and Wood both having solid performances. Wood caught a beautiful touchdown pass from Jerrard Randall while Kern led Arizona's players with five catches for 31 yards in the spring game.

* Arizona's safety group has had a productive spring and Friday night it was able to show off its hitting ability as well. I have mentioned how the group looked solid all spring long and it was much of the same. That main group of about six players at the three different safety positions could end up being a real strength for Arizona this season and it was good way for that group to end the spring.

Newcomer Paul Magloire finished the game with nine tackles and Arizona even moved him around a little bit in certain situations.

* DaVonte' Neal was one of the interesting players to watch Friday night because of his move over the defensive side of the ball, and he once again showed that he is moving in the right direction and inching closer to solidifying his spot with the first team at some point. Neal continued to run with what was a mix of the first and second groups on Friday, but one thing you did notice watching the game was that Arizona's quarterbacks didn't really test his side of the field.

When the did Neal made a nice play on the ball and overall had a solid night at cornerback for UA.

* With Nick Wilson out for the spring game Arizona went with a heavy dose of Jared Baker, Jonathan Haden and Zach Green on the night. This was a great chance to see the progress Haden has made this spring. He looked comfortable and looked like a guy who knew where he needed to make cuts as well. Haden has not been healthy the whole spring so it was interesting to see him give it a go, but he really performed pretty well with his opportunities.

* Arizona tried something different Friday night at center. Carter Wood was back and playing with the first group where he didn't do too bad, but it was with that second group that Arizona decided to change some things from what they have been showing at practice. Zach Hemmila, who worked with the first team for a good amount of time recently, was back at center with the second unit while Levi Walton was at guard. It had been the other way around for a lot of camp, but Arizona has been gaining some confidence in Hemmila at that center spot.

I've mentioned in previous practice reports that I liked the look Hemmila gave the starting line when he was with that first unit. It's still going to very much be an open competition - potentially all the way up until the season - but I think Hemmila is an option the Wildcats can start to look at a little harder moving forward.

I will have much more from the spring game in the coming days, so continue to check back for more.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News