ADVERTISEMENT

Spring practice: five quick notes (April 3)

Matt Moreno

Senior Editor
Staff
Aug 8, 2011
Tucson, AZ
arizona.rivals.com
Arizona wrapped up its latest spring practice a little while ago, and now things are moving quickly toward Friday's spring game. If you remember the team's practice on Wednesday was not a good one and Rich Rodriguez said as much afterward. Friday's went better, but you can tell he is getting the sense a lot of the guys are getting uneasy.

He's working to keep the group focused going into the final week. Here are five quick notes from Friday's practice.

* From the sounds of it overall it was a productive practice for Anu Solomon today up until the last play. Rodriguez didn't say what happened, but it sounded like it was probably a pick to me. During the open portion the the thing that continues to stand out to me is how in control Solomon seems now. I talked to Samajie Grant after practice today and he said the biggest difference he's noticed with Solomon is his ability to now talk to players and tell them what they need to adjust and fix.

For example, Grant said last season the extent of Solomon's conversations with his receivers would be something like "you have to do it better" whereas now Grant said the UA quarterback's understanding of the offense is letting him tell guys exactly where he wants them and where they should be.

* The injuries just continue to pile up for Arizona, but again it doesn't look like anything too serious right now. Nate Phillips was back in green again today as were a host of others who have been in green this week. Jeff Worthy remained working off to the side today.

* Rodriguez gave a little insight into next Friday's spring game today as well. Considering how many guys are injured and what Arizona wants to still see out of some other guys it will not be a true line-them-up type of game. At this stage Rodriguez said there's just not that kind of depth to do it, so expect to see a lot of guys who need to get some good work in. He mentioned guys like Scooby Wright will probably play about a series or two and then that will be it.

* The board drills were interesting today as well. There were some battles and then there were some where guys just got beat. It was the first day where Paul Magloire just looked overmatched in the drill. Not sure if he just got some bad footing or what, but it wasn't the best showing for him. Jamardre Cobb and Marquis Ware got beat pretty bad too. Ware had a second chance at it, however, and he came back strong the second time around.

* Arizona really wants to see what its younger guys can do going into the final week, so expect a lot of reps for those guys during the week and in the spring game as well. Rodriguez said afterward that there is still a lot to work for with a lot of the younger/inexperienced guys that he wants to see next week.

I will have more for you later from Friday's practice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News