ADVERTISEMENT

Most important

Matt Moreno

Senior Editor
Staff
Aug 8, 2011
Tucson, AZ
arizona.rivals.com
I was going to make this a regular content piece, but I thought this topic might generate some discussion here. I've been talking about it with other media members and have been thinking about it myself, but who are Arizona's top five most important players this season?

Here is my list and why I think it, but definitely provide your input as well because I think it's an interesting topic. I'm thinking of it in terms of "if Arizona wants to have the best season it can have these players need to perform well" but it could definitely also be thought of as "these are the players Arizona can least afford to lose this year" too.

1. Anu Solomon: I have him in the top spot for obvious reasons. If Arizona wants to have a repeat of last season and get to one of the big bowl games a lot will ride on how the redshirt sophomore performs. Solomon didn't have a good finish last year and left him in Rich Rodriguez's doghouse for a while. He has bounced back with a strong spring and summer, but now it will be time for some real growth in the system. Another reason Solomon is the most important player to this year's team is that there is not much behind him.

Jerrard Randall can certainly do things well in this offense, but he can't do all the things Solomon can do.

2. Scooby Wright: The linebacker group has a chance to be better as a whole than it was last year, but one of the best players in the country gets in that discussion for a reason. Wright is the key piece to UA's defense and he is the face of the program. No other player on Arizona's roster can replicate what he brings to the team from top to bottom and his energy is something that feeds the whole team.

It will be interesting to see how close the junior middle linebacker can get to replicating his amazing sophomore season, but he is only getting better and he will be a force for the Wildcats again this year.

3. Nick Wilson: Arizona got a pleasant surprise when the running back from Fresno, California was able to pick things up so quickly last year as a freshman. Now there are expectations and Wilson will have to live up to them. The Wildcats have done their best to keep Wilson healthy since the end of last year by limiting him in spring ball and keeping him away from taking big hits during camp. Opposing defenses will not hold back, however, and Wilson will have to be better about not taking contact head on.

Still, Arizona's offense is at its best when there is balance and Wilson will be the team's workhorse this year. He's ready to do it and even though Arizona's staff loves Jared Baker there would be a drop off from Wilson to the rest of the group.

4. Cayleb Jones: It is simple with Jones. Arizona doesn't have another player on the roster who can do what he does. David Richards has the size, but he is not Jones. The Texas native has become one of Solomon's favorite targets and for good reason. After dealing with a hand injury that was a little more serious than it was made out to be the redshirt junior came back this summer bigger and a more polished receiver. He is ready to take his game to the next level and he will be an important part of Arizona's offense.

5. Freddie Tagaloa: Arizona is going to expect a lot of the big tackle transfer from Cal. Tagaloa has now had time to learn the scheme and he is ready to get going again. He provides a big body to protect Solomon, which the quarterback admitted during fall camp has given him a great sense of being comfortable now more than ever. With the lack of experience and depth behind the starting offensive line anything happening to Tagaloa would put Arizona in a precarious spot.

Have a different idea or think I got the order wrong? Tell me what you think I definitely want to hear from others on this one.

Reactions: AYYETONY
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News