ADVERTISEMENT

Crazy Stats

catnaz1

Lute Olson 'Almighty'
Gold Member
Dec 19, 2011
If you go in saying we need to run the ball effectively to win and move the chains, and then look at the stats, we did exactly that:

- First Downs: 32-23
- Rushing: 353 yds (6.0) to 213 (4.5)
- Wilson 24-136 (5.7), Perkins 24-93 (3.5)
- Solomon 7-54 (6.7), Randall 16-148 (8.0), Rosen 4-18 (1.8)

Except for Bundage's snaps, the OL did their jobs, and only gave up 1 sack for 2 yds. (UCLA gave up 2 sacks), and UCLA's DL didn't exactly control the line of scrimmage giving up 6.0 per pop.

But passing was a completely different story:
- Rosen, 19/28 (68%) 284 yds. (10.1 per attempt)
- Solomon/Randall, 8/26 (31%) 100 yds. (4.1 per attempt)

Are you kidding? 31%?? We know about Randall's liability in throwing the ball, but Solomon was only 4-10 (40%) for 55 yds. (5.5 per attempt). And for the most part, he had plenty of time to throw with the play-action. But I don't think this is all on Solomon. One thing they remarked was how our receivers were not getting separation, like last year against UCLA (and UCLA's receivers were). For all the talk about our great receiving corp, it ain't happening right now. We're pretty thin now, and maybe getting Grant, Johnson, and Griffey back will help.

Besides the bad turnovers that led to 3 scores and shooting ourselves in the red zone, I don't think their lines whipped our assess, I think their receivers and DBs whipped our receivers and DBs asses, and many times when it was 3rd and long (11-15 3rd downs). We have a 5* receiver and 5* and 4* star corners, along with all-conference touted Parks, but I didn't see any all-conference performances from our groups last night. Even when Rosen was pressed, he found someone, usually wide open, and some of this falls on the LBs in coverage as well (including, understandably, Scooby last night). It looked to me like UCLA's WR and DB team speed (supposedly one of our strengths) is just faster than ours, and Rosen is pretty good at finding open people, as good if not better than our 4-star QB.

Reactions: B-win
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.