ADVERTISEMENT

What are your thoughts?

Matt Moreno

Senior Editor
Staff
Aug 8, 2011
Tucson, AZ
arizona.rivals.com
So I've been doing a lot of thinking about this especially now that transfer season is in full swing. I am of the mindset that rebuilding the roster the way Arizona does isn't getting the program any closer to where it wants to be. To me that has been proven with the results. Plugging holes every year simply isn't working like the staff hopes it would but it is forced to go about it that way based on the situation it's in.

I can think of only one transfer from a mid-major program who truly helped Arizona achieve what it wanted when he arrived – TJ McConnell. Other than him, the players have been solid but mostly just helped bridge the gap to whatever group was next.

It feels like the general consensus from the fan base is that if Arizona is able eliminate the one-and-done players it will lead to more success on the floor. The conundrum right now is that Arizona is a destination school for those types of players. Thus, they leave and the coaching staff has to fill the hole with a transfer or grad transfer to fill the roster. The cycle just then continues.

I guess my question to you all would be what do you see as the solution to the issue? Do you have any problem with how the roster is being built at this point? And, what is your own personal breaking point when it comes to what you'll give up from a fan perspective (i.e. losing out on elite recruits, short-term losing for long-term consistency/stability) to see things move in a different direction?

Obviously we don't know what this year would have brought when it comes to the NCAA Tournament but the reality is we'll never know and right now UA is in a familiar spot having to replace a number of players once again.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News