ADVERTISEMENT

Notes from NCAA tournament: Thursday

Tracy McDannald

Lute Olson 'Almighty'
Aug 8, 2011
- The robotic focus remains the game. T.J. McConnell said Arizona is approaching Friday's game like a Pac-12 Conference match-up. Nothing changes, even if it is the first NCAA tournament in his career, like a few of his notable teammates.

- Davion Berry, the Big Sky player of the year, will be handled by a combination of McConnell and Nick Johnson.

"He can do everything," McConnell said. "He can shoot, drive, assist, rebound - he pretty much does everything. He's a talented player."

- Brandon Ashley, who suffered his season-ending foot injury on Feb. 1, reiterated that he does intend to come back for his junior season.

But he is glad to be on the road with his teammates for the NCAA tournament, as much as it pains him that he cannot suit up.

"Honestly, being around the team has helped me out so much," Ashley said. "For them to do that for me, I'm going to try and return the favor by being supportive."

Ashley is excited about the future and said he will try to lobby for some of his teammates to return to what should be a loaded team in 2014-15.

- Among those players who will have a decision is Aaron Gordon, who is expected to be a high first-round pick. But he said it's a decision he will make when the season is over.

When he first chose Arizona, he had a spreadsheet of pros and cons for each school he was considering. Gordon said he will likely do the same, making a list with the benefits of returning to school and turning pro.

"I probably will do that," he said. "I'm just focused on right now, today. But I'm a very analytical person so I will do something like that, if that time comes."

- Another who may be faced with such a decision is Kaleb Tarczewski. The center has improved throughout the season, and his size and 7 feet tall will always attract NBA scouts when he is ready to make the jump.

"I think that's something you kind of focus on after the season is over," Tarczewski said.

I asked him if his decision would depend on if some other players return to school, but he said it's too far down the road to think about.

The NCAA tournament is a time many players have excelled, elevating their NBA draft stock on the big stage and pulling the trigger. But I asked Joseph Blair: Is Kaleb Tarczewski NBA-ready?

"That's such a loaded question," Blair said, smiling. "What the hell is NBA-ready? There's some people in the NBA that sure aren't NBA-ready.

"But if you're asking me if I think he could play in the NBA right now, yeah, he could play. How much he will play and how much he will make, I don't know. Do I think he's going to be an All-Star? Do I think he could get better? Yeah, sure, he could get better.

"But, honestly, in my opinion, he's NBA-ready now. We have a lot of players that are NBA-ready. They can stick around and they can get better, that's for sure. But it's just hard to say."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News