ADVERTISEMENT

GOAZCATS.com War Room 9/10/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tracy McDannald

Lute Olson 'Almighty'
Aug 8, 2011
Who said things have to take time? In just his second game at Arizona, head coach Rich Rodriguez has his first signature victory, and now a national ranking in front of the team's name.

The first person to tell you they saw all of that coming so soon, especially right now, is a liar.

So with that, let's start this week's War Room there and talk about the Wildcats' 59-38 win Saturday over then-No. 18 Oklahoma State.

Football team

By the numbers

0: Turnovers by Arizona in the victory after squandering numerous chances in the opening week

1.9: Yards per carry in the first half for Arizona running back Ka'Deem Carey, who responded with 99 of his 126 yards and three of his four touchdowns coming after halftime

2: Quarterback Matt Scott's national rank in total offense after amassing 707 passing yards and 129 rushing yards through two games, giving him 418 yards per game

6: Consecutive stalled drives by the Arizona defense after touchdowns were produced in the Cowboys' first two series

8: Red zone opportunities for the 'Cats, who scored on each chance after turning just 1 of 4 trips into points the previous week

18: Points produced by Arizona off turnovers

24: Arizona's ranking in The Associated Press Top 25 media poll, marking the first time the program has been ranked since Nov. 22, 2010

30: Consecutive points scored by Arizona after starting the game in a 14-0 hole

48: Combined tackles by linebacker Jake Fischer (27) and bandit safety Jared Tevis (21) through two games, making them the top two leading tacklers in the Pac-12 Conference

59: Points scored by the Wildcats, the most allowed by Oklahoma State since surrendering 61 to Oklahoma in November 2008

562 1/2: Yards of total offense per game, which puts Arizona ninth in the nation

Postgame observations

We took the elevator down to the field for about the final 5 minutes of the game, standing at about the 10-yard line of Oklahoma State's sideline on the north end of the stadium.

There was athletic director Greg Byrne gritting his teeth, waiting for that clock to read 0:00 before letting the emotion out with every police officer that wanted to high-five him afterward.

Once the whistle blew, there was Rodriguez walking off the field with each of his children by his side.

As we walked past the locker room to get to the media interview room, an ecstatic Bill Kirelawich was there to greet the players. You got the feeling that he was more happy for them than the win itself. The coaches may not say it publicly, but you got the sense that they knew what the players went through last season.

And there was Rodriguez's wife, Rita, hugging the players as they approached the locker room door. This is a staff that really does embody the word family, and it goes right down to their own families treating the players like one of their own. The look on her face also gave you the impression that there was a sense of relief, knowing that this was not going to start like Michigan all over again.

Taking the next step

With a national ranking in front of their name, the Wildcats now have a bit of expectation to live up to. Not to get carried away or anything after just two games, but now everybody can clearly see that the offense works.

When South Carolina State rolls into town Saturday, there is no reason why the starters should have to play most of the game. UA should be able to get more bodies on the field, and take care of business so it can move on and make sure it's fresh for the first road contest of the season at Oregon the following week.

That will challenge the Wildcats' "take-it-one-game-at-a-time" philosophy, but anything short of seeing B.J. Denker and Co., on the field in the fourth quarter will almost have to look like a letdown.

That may sound like a high expectation, to some, but high expectations are what this staff has been preaching since Day 1 when they told them to train like elite athletes.

New observations

Arizona has continued to transform Kindall/Sancet into a football facility. While walking in, we quickly noticed that they have both covered up the schedule, like Rodriguez said they would, and painted the words "Hard Edge" on the hill along what used to be the first-base line.

Here are the photos:[/B]

1292860.jpg

1292861.jpg

Basketball team

Head coach Sean Miller has continued to focus on the words "player's program" as the team is in the preparation stages for Red-Blue, which will honor the 1988 Final Four team.

The media received an idea this past week of what Red-Blue may look like on the court when the current team competes in the intrasquad scrimmage. Here's a closer look at what the freshmen bring:

Miller is not kidding when he says his big men are hard workers. Each worked up a full sweat in the 50-minute workout.

The most ready-to-contribute-now in the group, not counting sophomore Angelo Chol, are 6-8 forward Brandon Ashley and 6-10 Grant Jerrett.

That's not to say 7-footer Kaleb Tarczewski is behind schedule or anything, because he is in terrific shape. But Tarczewski clearly has some work to do on the offensive end when he gets the ball in the post. The jump hook is hit or miss, and he looks like someone, right now, that is going to be shooting the mid-range jump shot - which he is more comfortable doing - or scoring baskets off easy dunks and putbacks.

Ashley, meanwhile, has only one thing working against him and that is the position he plays as it relates to his body and size. It is clear that Ashley is a natural small forward and that is where he will be in the future. However, his work in the post is impressive, and on both ends of the floor.

The Oakland, Calif., native can score on bigger players, and Miller is spot-on when he described him as one of those players who scores and makes you wonder what move he used. He also is pretty physical despite the size disadvantage against the other big men on the team.

On defense, he does not look like someone who will bother people, and that's not something he was really known for in high school, but he looks very solid on that end. Maybe it was just an off day for the others, and it was just one session, but Ashley's physicalness showed again and he will challenge shots.

Jerrett, on the other hand, is the one that I think will surprise people the most. He is not your average big man, and, if anything, it's almost as if him and Ashley should swap bodies with the way they each play the game.

His long arms will give him an advantage when he steps outside and shoots from the 3-point line, where he has no issues at all. While the release and shooting motion is on the slow side, Jerrett will make them with regularity.

In the post, he has an unorthodox style. It's almost as if he looks like he is shooting off the wrong foot, but the ball finds its way in the basket. It's something that is far from a finished product, but it's also something where his comfort level will allow him to continue playing that way.

I mentioned his long arms, and those will come in handy on defense. He is not the biggest body, in terms of bulk, and he is someone that could use more work in the weight room. But Jerrett's length makes it tough for players to get a clean look.

By the end of the season, Jerrett is the one who could be Arizona's top freshman.

All three showed a great attention span, as well. It was pretty much Miller doing most of the talking while his assistants helped out on the court in drills. I don't think one player said more than three words to Miller, and none of the three had much difficulty following the instructions. Granted, it was simple screens and slashing to the basket and things of that nature, but there were no moments of uncertainty when it came to things like where they should be on the floor.

Now, with plenty to talk about, here's Matt Moreno's recruiting breakdown:

This is certainly an interesting time of year when it comes to recruiting for both the football and basketball teams at Arizona. Beginning Monday, the basketball staffs around the country will be allowed to watch open-gyms at high schools and check in on various recruits.

On the football side of things, UA now earning a national ranking throws another aspect into the recruiting process as things continue for both the 2013 and 2014 classes. With quite a bit to talk about here is this week's breakdown.

Football

* First things first, as we will continue to do throughout the high school football season here is the rundown of notable performances by UA commits. There were a number of big games involving the future Wildcats and some of them continued to have solid performances during their senior seasons.

Derek Babiash: The three-star cornerback commit and his squad from Poway, Calif., took on a tough Carlsbad (Calif.) La Costa Canyon team Friday night and it came down to the wire. Eventually, however, La Costa Canyon would come away with the 10-9 win in the end. Babiash picked off a pass in the fourth quarter, but the Titans' field goal attempt was blocked.

It was the third interception of the season for the UA commit.

Pierre Cormier and Lee Walker: The pair of future Wildcats ended up coming out on the wrong end of a high-scoring contest Friday night as their squad from San Diego (Calif.) Madison fell to El Cajon (Calif.) Valhalla, 42-28. Both Walker and Cormier had scores in the game, however, it wasn't enough to give their team the win.

Walker helped get his team on the scoreboard early with a receiving touchdown in the first quarter. Meanwhile Cormier broke off a 99-yard score in the second quarter.

Brandon Cox: As we've said before, it could be a long senior season for the UA quarterback commit as he doesn't have too much around him at Pasadena, Calif. Cox and his team squared off with LSU commit Hayden Rettig Friday night, and the future Wildcat's squad didn't have enough to take down the potent offense of Rettig's Los Angeles (Calif.) Cathedral team.

Cox finished the game with 178 yards passing and two touchdowns in his second contest of the year. He went 12 of 25 on the evening through the air. Meanwhile he had 40 rushing yards on eight carries for the Bulldogs.

Paul Elvira and Mauriece Lee: The two future 'Cats and their team from Tempe (Ariz.) Marcos de Niza were making things look easy Friday night in a game against Maricopa, Ariz. Elvira was the one to have the most impressive night as the wide receiver commit scored three touchdowns in the 57-6 win for the Padres.

Elvira finished the game with four catches for 89 yards, and his touchdowns came on catches of 20, 39 and 21 yards in the contest. Lee had a nice night of his own as he pitched in with a long 45-yard touchdown run for the Padres.

The senior finished his night with 76 yards on seven carries. GOAZCATS.com was in attendance for this contest, so be on the lookout for highlights from the game of both Elvira and Lee as well as some of the team's other prospects.

Zachary Green: The three-star running back was one of the Wildcats first commits in the 2013 class and his pledge set the groundwork for the current UA recruiting class, which still ranks fairly high in the team recruiting rankings. Green and his squad from Ventura (Calif.) St. Bonaventure have gotten out to a quick so far this season and they continued that Friday night against a tough opponent.

Green helped his team take a lead on Redlands (Calif.) East Valley when he scored on a two-point conversion. After that, the running back commit kept the momentum going for his team as he finished the game with 108 yards on 15 carries for St. Bonaventure. Green scored his team's lone offensive touchdown with a 13-yard scamper in the third quarter.

St. Bonaventure moved to 3-0 with the win, and it was the second straight 100-yard rushing game for Green.

DeAndre Miller: The future Wildcat linebacker and his squad from Buckeye (Ariz.) Buckeye Union continue to roll as they knocked off Parker, Ariz., Friday night to earn their third win of the young season. Miller continued to get it done on both sides of the ball for Buckeye as he picked up 61 rushing yards on five carries and 33 yards receiving on two catches.

But he didn't commit to UA as a running back, and he certainly made an impact on the defensive side of the ball as well. Miller finished the game with 12 tackles for Buckeye to go along with a fumble recovery.

R.J. Morgan and Derrick Turituri: The two UA commits from Central Point (Ore.) Crater continued to have impressive individual performances, but their team continued its struggles Friday night. Crater was on the losing end of 30-14 matchup with Oregon City, Ore. Morgan had an interception for the Comets, but he also pitched in on offense with six catches for 62 yards. Meanwhile, Turituri caught a 32-yard touchdown pass for one of the team's two scores in the game.

Nate Phillips: The in-state receiver commit from Chandler (Ariz.) Basha continued the impressive start to his senior year Friday night as the Bears easily took care of Phoenix (Ariz.) St. Mary's, 57-9. Phillips, who already has a five-touchdown game under his belt this year, finished the game with a pair of scores.

Phillips caught a 15-yard touchdown pass early in the game to help Basha get out to an early 21-0 lead, but he also contributed with a 49-yard kickoff return for a score. In the end, Phillips finished the game with four catches for 69 yards in the win.

* On the recruiting side of things, the attention has somewhat started to turn to the 2014 class as there are already 25 commits in the class and many of the recruits who remain uncommitted don't plan on making their decision for some time. However, there is one prospect who will be making his way to Tucson for an official visit next weekend.

Three-star all-purpose back T.J. Johnson from Cape Coral (Fla.) Island Coast will be making the trek to UA for its contest with South Carolina State, and there is certainly a good chance he leaves the trip committed to the 'Cats.

Johnson has not been shy about how much he likes UA and its style of play, and getting him on campus will be an important part of his recruitment.

"I just want to see how the team is and how the coaching staff is," the 15th-ranked all-purpose back told GOAZCATS.com last week about his trip. "And also just to watch the game."

At this point, the 5-foot-7 prospect, who would fit right into the mold of player Rich Rodriguez and his staff like, hasn't led on to when he will make his decision.

"Not really," he said about having a set time frame for making his choice. "If I feel I'm ready to commit, then that's when I'll make the decision."

Getting him out on an official visit this early in the season is important to his recruitment, and like we said it would not be surprising to see him leave Tucson a committed recruit.

* Another prospect the Wildcats have recently had their eye on over the last few months is offensive tackle Randy Heideman from Normall (Ill.) Normal Community. The 6-foot-6 recruit didn't pick up his offer until recently, but he is really starting to get down to narrowing his list and making his decision.

Heideman took a trip to Indiana recently and it left quite the impression on him.

"It was a good visit," he told Rivals.com. "I really had a fun time. I didn't get down there until about 5:00. My dad and I got a chance to drive around a little bit and check things out, and then we went into the game. When I visited the last time I got to see how awesome the facilities are, but this time I got to see them with people there and with all the fans in a game day atmosphere. I got to talk to the coaches before and after the game so that was good. It was a lot of fun."

At this point, getting Heideman on campus will be a big part of his recruitment, but there is still plenty of time to do so.

"I hope to start narrowing things down," Heideman said about where things stand at this time. "I really want to be done by the end of the season, or a week or two after. That is kind of my deadline for deciding, but it could be before that."

The trip to Indiana trip left a big impression on the offensive tackle prospect and it could very likely come down to a battle between the two schools.

"I don't really have a set list, but Indiana is definitely up there," Heideman said. "I really like the coaches, and being there the other day it was good to see what game day was like. Plus, Indiana is a very good school and I really like them."

* When it comes to recruiting, earning a big win over a ranked opponent can be a very important tool for the future. UA is going to use the Wildcats' recent win over Oklahoma State and its national ranking as a recruiting tool. The class it will look to target most with this is the 2014 class. It will be interesting to see how the rest of the season plays out for the 'Cats, but the staff will certainly look to capitalize on its recent success on the recruiting trail.

Basketball recruiting

The UA staff will be on the road soon with the school year now started. There will be plenty of coaches from all over the country on the road during this time of year as 2013 recruits begin hosting in-home visits and schools hold open-gym sessions.

* One of the most notable pieces of information on the basketball recruiting front was Rondae Jefferson taking his official visit to UA over the weekend. By all accounts the trip went well and, although the 'Cats didn't earn a commitment from the five-star wing yet, they are in a good spot.

The key word to look at in that sentence is "yet," as the Wildcats will have an in-home visit with the versatile recruit this week. All signs point to Jefferson becoming the program's second 2013 commit, but the in-home visit will be very important to making that happen.

* The 'Cats will also have an in-home visit with Aaron Gordon soon as well, and that is an important one as well. By sitting well with Jefferson, the Wildcats can continue to look at the rest of their options for 2013. Gordon is scheduled to attend October's Red-Blue game, but getting a chance to be in front of the five-star recruit is important to the whole process.

Unlike Jefferson, who the 'Cats will likely try and earn a commitment from on the visit, Gordon doesn't plan on making his decision any time soon. But making a good impression on the visit could be a big factor for the future.

* On the 2014 recruiting front the Wildcats watched some of the New Orleans Elite squad this summer and the team features two of the nation's top prospects in that class. Five-star wing Kelly Oubre is one of those prospects and the interest is already there from the shooting guard recruit.

"I liked the fast-paced tempo and the coach has been there for a while and they came and watched some of our games," he said. "Craig has talked about why he likes them so much and I've talked to him about why I like them so much, so it's a win-win. If he talks about a school he likes it's big because he's a tough guy when it comes to recruiting.

"He doesn't cut anybody any slack, so if he likes it then it's cool with me."

The Craig who Oubre is referring to is fellow five-star prospect Craig Victor, who also has a significant amount of interest in the 'Cats. At this point, the pair is not super high on the list of priorities for 2014 but they are two recruits to keep an eye on as things play out in the future.[/B]

This post was edited on 9/10 9:04 AM by Tracy McDannald

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News