ADVERTISEMENT

2022 recruiting: Arizona re-offers legacy TE prospect from SoCal

Matt Moreno

Senior Editor
Staff
Aug 8, 2011
Tucson, AZ
arizona.rivals.com

Notable offers: Arizona State, Cal, Colorado, Oregon State, USC, Utah, Washington, Miami, San Jose State

Rundown: Arizona has gone ahead and re-offered four-star tight end Keyan Burnett today after Kevin Sumlin initially offered the Rivals250 prospect back before his sophomore season. Burnett has Arizona ties as his father, Chester Burnett, played linebacker for the Wildcats from 1995-97 before playing in the NFL for a few years. That fact is not lost on the 6-foot-5 prospect from Orange County, California. He camped with the Wildcats ahead of his sophomore season and Sumlin was so impressed by him that he offered back in the summer of 2019. Burnett went on to have an impressive sophomore season at JSerra High School in San Juan Capistrano and it helped bring him even more attention from progress across the West plus schools on the other side of the country as well.

He's made the move to Servite HS in Anaheim but has yet to play this season being as he is in California. However, as soon as he does get an opportunity to get on the field again I would imagine that his offer list is only going to continue to grow and truly become national.

Burnett currently checks in as the 237th-rated prospect by Rivals.com in the 2022 class, the sixth-rated tight end and the 14th-best recruit in California's junior class. He is a big-time player and someone who could help any team at the next level. He has mostly played receiver up to this point in his career but the outlook is that he will eventually move to tight end in college. As of now the offer is more about his talent level overall than it is position, but the Wildcats are having tight ends coach Jordan Paopao lead his recruitment so that should give you an idea of how Jedd Fisch sees him fitting into the program.

“I feel like I bring the presence of a mismatch in my game," he previously said. "I would like to improve on my route running and explosiveness."

Although it might seem like a long shot for Arizona do not write off the Wildcats in this recruitment. Paopao is capable of landing him as a commitment and there is certainly a strong connection to the program through his father. USC has gained a ton of buzz and UA will have to beat out Donté Williams to land him, but there is a strong enough appeal at UA to sway him to his dad's alma mater. He is going to be one prospect in the class to watch closely over the next year.

From my understanding, Arizona is one of the schools that has him excited so despite the competition Arizona should remain right in the mix.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News